Arkansas Hunting banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
623 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i found one of the old spainish mausers that has been sporterized. i can get the gun pretty right, but what about ammo? i know there is still some factory ammo, but how much is it? and what would it take to have it changed over to a .280 remington? or better yet a .257 Roberts (where could i get a barrel)?

thanks
luke:thumb:

·
Registered
873 Posts
I have an old 7x57 that I love to shoot. Ammo is getting more expensive but isn't hard to find. Midway has several different brands priced from $13 - $45 per box. I haven't checked anywhere else online but I have seen it locally for about $17 a box. Not really sure about the barrel change I 've never looked into it as I really like the old gun the way it is.

·
Registered
2,994 Posts
JMHO,

7X57 is a very good choice for deer hunting. Look up the ballistics for it, and you will see it is just slightly less powerful than a 280 Rem.
If you save a bunch of $ buying the gun, buying ammo will be a lot less painful.:biggrin:

Rechambering in 280 will be a job for a qualified gunsmith because the 7X57 brass is longer than the 280, so the breech end of the barrel will have to be cut off about .1", then the chamber reamed. Rebarreling is also cost prohibitive when starting with a milsurp rifle.

·
Administrator
81,378 Posts
Rechambering in 280 will be a job for a qualified gunsmith because the 7X57 brass is longer than the 280, so the breech end of the barrel will have to be cut off about .1", then the chamber reamed. Rebarreling is also cost prohibitive when starting with a milsurp rifle.
Actually, 280 Remington brass is longer. Trim length on 7x57 is 2.225", trim length on 280 Remington is 2.530". Both have a .473" case head, so rechambering to 280 would just amount to a barrel changeout if the bolt opening would accomodate the longer 280 round. The 7x57 barrel may be able to be reamed out to 280, a gunsmith would know for sure.

Personally, I'd probably stick with the 7x57 unless the barrel was shot.

The 257 Roberts also uses the standard .473 casehead, and is basically a 7x57 necked down to 35 caliber with a 20* shoulder angle. That would also be an easy barrel changeout for your rifle.

·
Registered
3,160 Posts
I have an old 7x57 that I love to shoot. Ammo is getting more expensive but isn't hard to find. Midway has several different brands priced from $13 - $45 per box. I haven't checked anywhere else online but I have seen it locally for about $17 a box. Not really sure about the barrel change I 've never looked into it as I really like the old gun the way it is.
Start reloading your own ammo. It want take long to break even on your initial investment. I have a RBC Rock Chucker and hand load for rifle and pistol. Rule of thumb is that you will save about 1/3 on your handloads over factory ammo so that means you can shoot 3 times as much for the same price :thumb: Handloading is easy and your ammo will be far superior to factory. You can taylor make your rounds to suit your particular rifle. Two identical rifles may like two different hands loads with the same bullet for best accuracy. That's what makes it fun. You get to shoot a lot and at the same time you are striving to find the most accurate load for your particular situation.

·
Registered
2,994 Posts
"Actually, 280 Remington brass is longer. Trim length on 7x57 is 2.225", trim length on 280 Remington is 2.530". Both have a .473" case head, so rechambering to 280 would just amount to a barrel changeout if the bolt opening would accomodate the longer 280 round. The 7x57 barrel may be able to be reamed out to 280, a gunsmith would know for sure."

Mr. C, I stand corrected. Misread my referencees:rolleyes: .
When I was selling guns, four friends wanted some MkX rifles rechambered from 7X57 to 280 Rem. A gunsmith did the job for the reamer and some $. Seems like he had to do some cutting besides the chamber, just can't remember what it was.

·
Administrator
81,378 Posts
"Actually, 280 Remington brass is longer. Trim length on 7x57 is 2.225", trim length on 280 Remington is 2.530". Both have a .473" case head, so rechambering to 280 would just amount to a barrel changeout if the bolt opening would accomodate the longer 280 round. The 7x57 barrel may be able to be reamed out to 280, a gunsmith would know for sure."

Mr. C, I stand corrected. Misread my referencees:rolleyes: .
When I was selling guns, four friends wanted some MkX rifles rechambered from 7X57 to 280 Rem. A gunsmith did the job for the reamer and some $. Seems like he had to do some cutting besides the chamber, just can't remember what it was.
I kind of figured you had them backwards.

I've never reamed a chamber to a different round, so I can't answer for sure if a reamer is all that would be needed or not.

·
Registered
5,976 Posts
i found one of the old spainish mausers that has been sporterized. i can get the gun pretty right, but what about ammo? i know there is still some factory ammo, but how much is it? and what would it take to have it changed over to a .280 remington? or better yet a .257 Roberts (where could i get a barrel)?

thanks
If it's a Model 93, I would be leary about it. Leave a 7x57, and shoot weaker loads in it. I was talked out of a 93 due to it being a weaker action, and not able to with stand modern day loads. If it's a model 98, then you'll be good.

·
Registered
670 Posts

thanks
Luke,

I own both a 7x57 mauser and a 280 Remington. I personally wouldn’t change it. I’ve found both cartridges to be very accurate. And the 7x57 considerably more accurate with factory ammo. It doesn’t seem to matter what weight bullet or which factory ammo. Winchester, Remington, and Federal ammo all shoot sub moa out of my 7x57. 7x57 probably isn’t any more difficult to come up with than 280 rem ammo. The 280 isn’t all that popular either. Both cartridges will pretty much do exactly the same things in the real world of hunting. The 280 is a little faster, flatter shooting and has slightly more knock down power than the 7x57. But not enough to really matter in a hunting situation.

Another thing is most 7x57 factory ammo is loaded way under what a modern action rifle can handle. The reason for this is liability. The older military 7x57 actions can not hold up to the same pressures that the newer rifles can so factory ammo is loaded weaker so it can be shot safely in older rifles. Kinda like 45-70 rifles being different also.

Point is if the older rifles can’t hold up under a hotter 7x57 load it probably won’t hold up to the pressure a 280 rem load either. My guess is it would be dangerous and probably most real gun smiths wouldn’t do it any way.

Both of my rifles are modern and I handload so I have no problems.

If I were you I would shoot factory ammo or hand load weaker loads for your old rifle and enjoy it for what is it. Although the 7x57 is puney by today’s standards, it had plenty of power and shot flat enough to kill and instill fear in many Americans in Cuba in Teddy Roosevelt’s day. It is still a fine hunting cartridge today also.

Ken

1 - 10 of 10 Posts