Arkansas Hunting banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
2,879 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've recently acuired a Winchester Model 70 7mm Mag. It is bolt action and has a black syn. stock. It come with a Burris 3*9*40 scope that seams to be very clear. Just shot it for the first time today and It surprised me that it had about the same recoil as a 30-06. Anyone else shoot a 7mag any tips, advice, or pointer?? :biggrin:

·
Registered
5,594 Posts
Don't shoot Ballistic Tips out of that thing. You will have the biggest mess trying to skin your deer. Looks like a bomb went off inside of the deer

·
Premium Member
14,537 Posts
I shoot a 7mm mag and just love it. Not to bad at all on the shoulder. Hurts a little in the wallet though!

I've been shooting Federal loaded Accubond's for deer for a while now. Way too much bullet, but I got them cheap, they shoot remarkably well, and they tend to kill deer before they hit the ground.

My gun also really likes Remington Core-lokts. Cheap (relatively speaking), easy to find, and more than good enough for deer.

My gun also happens to like the mid-weight bullets much more than the heavy weights. Haven't tried enough on the low end to form an opinion.

Congrats on a great gun. Enjoy!

·
Registered
817 Posts
I've recently acuired a Winchester Model 70 7mm Mag. It is bolt action and has a black syn. stock. It come with a Burris 3*9*40 scope that seams to be very clear. Just shot it for the first time today and It surprised me that it had about the same recoil as a 30-06. Anyone else shoot a 7mag any tips, advice, or pointer?? :biggrin:
I got a gun just like it except with a diff scope... great gun and is very accurate at long distances.:biggrin:

·
Registered
636 Posts
They can be one hole accurate at 100 yards or farther and plenty medicine for anythng in North America. I would suggest learningt o reload if you don;t already. They were about $1.50 a shot 12 years ago.

·
Registered
817 Posts
They can be one hole accurate at 100 yards or farther and plenty medicine for anythng in North America. I would suggest learningt o reload if you don;t already. They were about $1.50 a shot 12 years ago.
Yeah it is defninantly not cheap.... I use the 140 grain silver balistic tips and they work great but there about $65 a box

·
Select Member<br>Ol Eagle Eye
17,183 Posts
The 7mm mag nosler partition bullets work great on elk. They don't blow up but they expand well and go all the way through.

·
Administrator
81,503 Posts
Yah theres 20 in a box.... its not cheap:mad:

Are the balistic tips that much ($65)better than the regular?
7mm 140 grain Ballistic Tips are $30/100, or 30 cents each, at Midway. They are good bullets, but not 3.25 per round good. The most expensive part of factory ammo is the brass. The bullet, primer and powder don't add much to the overall cost.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts