Arkansas Hunting banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
23,356 Posts
http://www.surplusrifle.com/shooting2005/duckeaglepart1/index.asp

The men building the rifles realized the .308 Winchester / 7.62 NATO case was the way to go. It was extremely efficient, and surplus 7.62 NATO brass could be had for pennies apiece. But, they wanted that 7mm bore size. Custom reamers and dies were produced and the wildcat round, the 7mm-308 was born. By operating at a higher pressure, the shorter case was simply more efficient then the longer 7X57 brass case at the same pressure with modern powders.

·
Registered
1,716 Posts
I have one in a Rem. Model 7 , and I probably use it more than any other rifle I own. I love the gun and the round. Very lethal on deer. I have been shooting this gun and round since about 1992.

I wish it had a bit larger bullet selection, like the .308, but it still does great for whats out there for us guys who do not reload.

·
Premium Member
1,870 Posts
I had one in an Encore. It would not group so I had it rechambered to a 7mm Bellm #2, I still can not get it to shoot that great. I think I just got a bad barrel to begin with. The 7mm08 should be a great shooter.

·
Registered
579 Posts
Had a heavy SS 24" made up for my encore but only had one frame. I shot it a few times with factory ammo but it was kind of ho hum in accuracy. My daughter likes a 6.5 x55 sporter wt.barrel so I kept it on the frame for an antelope hunt. I acquired another frame so I hope to see what the 7mm08 will do now. I'll probably try some 140 gr sierras and varget powder. I've had good luck with sierras and varget in the 6.5 and a .308.

·
Registered
11,692 Posts
My BIL has an nef 7mm-08 it shoots well, but not as close as my 243 and nowhere near my 25-06. It's a good round though. Ballistics are about like the 25-06 but with a bigger bullet and less recoil.

·
Premium Member
11,480 Posts
When Pa and I were trading guns a little, he traded for an A-bolt in 7mm-08. I didn't think too much of it untill after we sold it and the new owner just raved about it. Now I wish I'd have latched onto that one...:smack:

·
Administrator
87,179 Posts
I wish it had a bit larger bullet selection, like the .308, but it still does great for whats out there for us guys who do not reload.
If you reload there is several different bullet sizes ranging from 100 -195 gr. possibly more that's just what I found looking at one book.
I agree with possum. I think that the 7mm bullet selection is second only to the 30 cal bullet selection available to reloaders. They have a high sectional density and high ballistic coefficient, some actually higher than the 30 cal bullets.

·
Registered
5,976 Posts
I had a TC Encore in 7mm-08 that I used for muley deer doe in MT. I loved the caliber, and regret selling that gun. I am looking to acquire a new one soon. I also have a .280 Rem, and a 7mm WSM, so I am a little biased of the .284 caliber rifles.

·
Registered
231 Posts
I have one that is a tack driver in a Rem model 7. I love the 7mm chamberings. I shoot a Rem 7mm mag mostly. I also have a 7mmSTW and a 7mm ultra mag. I prefer the 7mm mag over the 300 but that is my personal taste I guess.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.