7.62 and .308

Discussion in 'Guns, Ammunition, and Reloading' started by buck n duck, Aug 29, 2017.

1. buck n duck

buck n duck Super Member<br>2012 Turkey Hunting Contest Winner

So I am looking at building a AR-10 from Palmetto State Armory. If there upper and lower states it is chambered in .308 can you fire a 7.62 through it? I know on an AR-15 if you want to shoot 5.56 then the barrel must state 5.56 and you are also able to shoot .223 through it but if it says .223 then it is not rated for 5.56. Is it the same for the AR-10? I emailed their customer service and the guy honestly doesn't sound like he knows what he is talking about. He is saying that if is says .308 then it is also rated for 7.62. If this is true then it is totally opposite from the AR-15 platform. Thanks.

Dlong likes this.
  2. JohnnieWalker

JohnnieWalker Well-Known Member

I've shot 7.62 out of my .308 plenty. You'll be aight

3. Mr. Chitlin

Mr. Chitlin Administrator

NE Ark
    Shoot both and enjoy your rifle.

Commercial .308 Winchester ammo is loaded to a higher pressure than 7.62x51 NATO.

Pickloop likes this.
  4. Yep
    Yep, pretty much interchangeable. Been trying to talk myself into one of the PSA builds, too.

5. Talked myself into one! Ordered it this afternoon, less than $600 with one mag included. Now to order a ton of ammo! :usa:

whetstone likes this.
  6. buck n duck

I am really holding out for a black barrel. I don't like the stainless. Post a review here when you get it in.

7. I like stainless myself. I always lap the heck out of them before I ever shoot them. Had good luck doing that.

8. Picked up the lower from LGS and the upper arrived next day. I have just about worn my arms out polishing the bore. Now just waiting on the Nikon P-308 4-12X40 (#16388) to get here so I can burn some powder.

9. outdoorjunkiebj

outdoorjunkiebj Well-Known Member

Ok fellas, i dont know crap about a ar. What does lap mean, and,why are u polishing a new barrel? I have looked at some of these from PSA, but kinda chickened out for just lack of knowledge on how to put one together.

10. Mr. Chitlin

NE Ark
    Putting an AR together is very easy. Set the upper on top of the lower and push 2 pins in. Then go to the range and burn ammo. :D

11. outdoorjunkiebj

What does the ssa-e, ept, str ept billet, moe miad?

Next ??
    If i buy a complete upper, and a complete lower, thats all i will need?

12. buck n duck

There are really 4 routes you can go.

1) Buy a complete rifle.

2) Buy a complete upper and complete lower and push two pins together and your done.

3) Buy a stripped lower and a rifle kit. Assembling the lower is not that difficult. There are several You Tube videos and instruction downloads on the internet.

4) Buy a stripped lower and stripped upper with lower and upper build kits/parts. Way more difficult than option number 3. Takes a few special tools to do so.

For the money you can't beat option number 3. You can get stripped lowers for $65 and rifle kits from Palmetto State Armory for around $350. You will spend a little more on option 2, maybe $50-$100. And another $50 to $100 for option 1.

13. Mr. Chitlin

NE Ark
    If you keep your eyes peeled on the sales you will be able to find a complete rifle with a warranty for under $500. In the last few months I've seen Ruger and S&W AR's for $499.

14. outdoorjunkiebj

Thanks, definitely want a .308

15. buck n duck

Well your options are more limited. Easiest thing for .308 is to do what I am going to do. Buy a complete upper and lower and push two pins in and start shooting.

16. Mr. Chitlin

NE Ark
    You'll like it. :D

17. outdoorjunkiebj

Ok i figured out what ept and ssa-e stand for(trigger), question is, which one is better? And do i want the moe, or miad? From what i gather, this has something to do with Magpul components. Lots of options, was just kind of curious what you guys like. I'm going to be using the gun for deer hunting longest shot 150 200 yards.

18. Badbassn

Badbassn Premium Member<br>2015-16 Deer Hunting Contest Win

I built a ar-10 .308 on psa yesterday for $459.98 out the door. Can't beat that price!

19. When the manufacturers rifle a barrel, they "drag" a die down the barrel. Especially with stainless, it leaves little, almost microscopic snags in there. This will cause the bullet gilding metal to be deposited in the barrel. LAPPING will remove the snags, making the break in process a lot faster. Blue barrels also have the snags, but not as many as stainless.