Arkansas Hunting banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
1,176 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Got to watch this thing in action yesterday. It takes mulching/ clearing to another level. The guy has 2 of these , and this is the smaller one. The other is 800 hp.

·
Registered
1,176 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
The area he was I yesterday was just dirt, and he went below grade taking out slash and pine stumps from a recent timber thinning. The higher ground on the same property has a lot of the iron ore rock. He said gravel was not a big issue but the iron ore and big rock was.

·
Registered
2,960 Posts
Looks like an old fecon 280
It’s a land clearing machine, but replacing the teeth ain’t cheap, they are about 50 a piece and it has roughly 100.
It will demolish up to 8” trees if the right person is in the seat.
In a rocky area you’d want the club teeth.
They make an attachment for skidster that is pretty much the same, but won’t handle as much

·
Registered
1,176 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Looks like an old fecon 280
It’s a land clearing machine, but replacing the teeth ain’t cheap, they are about 50 a piece and it has roughly 100.
It will demolish up to 8” trees if the right person is in the seat.
In a rocky area you’d want the club teeth.
They make an attachment for skidster that is pretty much the same, but won’t handle as much
It was Fecon, not sure about model
#, or cutting capacity, but it was taking out 20” plus pine stumps to ground level and below with just a little grunt.

·
Registered
2,960 Posts
It was Fecon, not sure about model
#, or cutting capacity, but it was taking out 20” plus pine stumps to ground level and below with just a little grunt.
Those are cutting machines, they made a 600 at one time and that’s probably what it is.
I’d love to have one but I’d hate the maintenance !

·
Premium Member
28,012 Posts
I know the company near me sends the mulcher on an 18 wheeler along with an operator and another employee in a mechanic’s truck as support. Six years ago was $300 per hour - but could walk through 12” trees like they weren't there.

·
Registered
2,960 Posts
I know the company near me sends the mulcher on an 18 wheeler along with an operator and another employee in a mechanic’s truck as support. Six years ago was $300 per hour - but could walk through 12” trees like they weren't there.
That’s about right, we generally price around 4800 per mile and that doesn’t include teeth changes.
75’- 100’ wide, you can chew a mile a day with the right person running it.
We learned real quick that the club style teeth get better performance, and leaves 10-12” mulch as wide as your thumb

·
Registered
527 Posts
money well spent

·
Premium Member
28,012 Posts
The price of mulching is fairly relative. You can pay a guy with a small machine $100 per hour or a guy with a bigger machine $200 an hour and the guy with the bigger machine can cover twice as much ground in the same amount of time. Size does matter with mulching - especially what size trees you are mulching. Smaller machines have trouble with 8” trees and are as slow as the current shipping industry. If you have a lot of ten and twelve inch stuff - better get one of the big fecons. Only problem is, those guys dont really like a small two or three day setup. They like something that is weeks long because of their time involved in setup.

I had a mile long fence row I needed mulched -about half of it wooded - so 1/2 mile. I wanted fifty feet wide. Mostly four to eight inch ash, but some up to 15”. Guy with a big fecon said that was a day job for them and not worth their time. $120 hour machine took 3 1/2 days. Did a good job, too.

·
Registered
1,176 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Yep, it was a beast when mulching, but took 3 days to get 13 hrs running time, due to breakdowns. This was and older machine though.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts