6 dead BUCKS on 460 acres-what happened to my season!

Discussion in 'General Hunting Topics' started by ozarkthunder, Feb 3, 2008.

1. ozarkthunder

ozarkthunder Well-Known Member

Some of you might have seen my whining about not seeing any bucks where i hunt this season. My uncle rode his 4-wheeler around some of the fields where i hunt this week. He found 6 bucks, ranging from a 5 point to a 8 point-that was just in the fields! Some of these were after the last gun season because they were on some of my trails. I think disease has hit. What s youalls opinion? Is there anything i can do?

2. Mr. Chitlin

Mr. Chitlin Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

NE Ark
    I think I'd get AGFC involved in this one.

3. yjjeeper

yjjeeper Well-Known Member

lost
    No does found?

Sounds like foul play if not.

4. 10pointman

10pointman Moderator Staff Member

Sounds bad to me, Better get that checked by somebody.Were the deer sickly looking?

5. ozarkthunder

Have not got the chance to see them, but my uncle says they were pretty far gone. I found 1 doe about 3/4 mile away during ml season. I don't really suspect foul play, and do not really wish to get the agfc involved,don't really know what that would lead to.

6. ozarkthunder

Its 6 bucks-thanks Mr. Chitlin. Tried to edit-did not work!

7. Mr. Chitlin

Mr. Chitlin Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

NE Ark

:wink: Taken care of.

8. 10pointman

10pointman Moderator Staff Member

Could you tell if they had been shot?

9. popgun

popgun Well-Known Member

I think I would take a metal detector out to each carcass and see if there is a trace of bullet fragments around first.
    Then I would notify the AGFC.
    If there is disease on your property you need to know, and if there are poachers, you need to know that as well.
    ....popgun

10. Well..................They were DEAD!!!!!!!!
    And they have been there since the end of gun season.......over a month ago:head:

11. Either way, I'd be findin out what's happening. You don't need any repeats.

12. John Stiles

John Stiles Ultimate Member 2007 Team Turkey Contest Winner

If it's disease, the whole state needs to know....we don't want CWD to spread.

13. Ok now I have slept after a tough work weekend so I will respond ........well I did last night to 10pointman .....you'll have to forgive me 10pointman .....your post just hit me funny..........their dead so yeah they look sickly:fit:

At what point of decomposition are the deer? I have found many that were shot by hunters and not found and this time of I find them.
    Also are the fields close to roads? I have had a problem with people shooting from the road,hitting the deer and leaving. I have the W/O run the decoy to catch a few.
    If you are finding only bucks then I personally would be leary of jumping to disease as the culprit but remember deer have diseases other than CWD that kill them.
    It could be results of fighting injurys or other injurys due to buck activity.

I don't know if I would jump to conclusions ..........I think I would hit the woods and start looking for hunting setups and see if I didnt have some poor morals person with a bow slipping around???or a shotgun,a .22 or ????????

Just look.:wink:

14. Mule man

Mule man Well-Known Member

Probably run to death by dogs :) Just teasing.:wink:

15. Well you never know..............there was one down the road that got hung up in a fence and died. The landowner let the thing hang on the fence for over a month!!!!!!!

Just a little story ............I found 4 this year dead in the woods. No roads anywhere near but I knew a new guy had been hunting this area. This guy kept saying he missed and one day denied he shot. I was close to him on that day and he denied. He finally fessed up to another camp member after I left.
    My deer herd can't afford him.:smack:

16. ozarkthunder

A couple are close to roads. I haven't seen them yet, but my uncle says they were in different stages. Either way, i am leaning toward talking with the gw.

17. I have found a bunch shot from the road in our pasture. People can't seem to resist the temptation I guess.
    Thats why I gave the GW a key and said have at it. Anyone that shoots the decoy should get the max!!!!!!!

18. Gorgon11

Gorgon11 Active Member

I'm with Mr. Chitlin, get the AGFC involved and quick!

19. HANDGUNNER

HANDGUNNER Well-Known Member

I would have already called the Game & Fish..............

20. BUCKSHOT_106

BUCKSHOT_106 Well-Known Member

Something is definitly wrong, why all bucks? it could be a conwinsidense(Sp) but I would have AGFC test them.