6.5X54 MS (Mannlicher-Schoenauer )

Discussion in 'Guns, Ammunition, and Reloading' started by bullet-slinger, Dec 26, 2010.

1. bullet-slinger

bullet-slinger Well-Known Member

Does anyone here have any real life experiences with rifles that shoot the 6.5X54 MS (Mannlicher-Schoenauer) cartridges? I'm considering buying one.

thanks,

ken

2. WillyB71

WillyB71 Well-Known Member

Only through a buddy that had one of the beautiful, old, full length stocked rifles with the butter knife bolt handle.

The rifle wasn't a tack driver, but think that is consistent with most mannlicher stocked rifles.

I always wanted one, just because they were so well made & pretty.

3. delta duster

delta duster Well-Known Member

I've used and owned these for many years. It has to be one of the smoothest bolt rifles ever made. It 's smooth like butter. Whether you use a rifle or carbine version you can't go wrong. I use a carbine 17 inch barrel with a claw mount scope for deer,hogs,bear. 160 gr round nose bullets and every thing they hit it falls dead. You can buy shells on several internet sites. The mannlicher is one of my all time favorite rifles and the 6.5 is a excellent round. The Austrians know how to make a quality firearm. Mine is a 1903 model... I could go on and on,lol....

4. bullet-slinger

Thanks guy's I really apprecdiate the input.

You can find pictures of the one I'm considering at the URL below. But, for considerably less money. Steyr only made 150 of these and it's my understanding no one is buying them because of the cartridge it shoots. I believe I read somewhere it has been several decades since Steyr has made a rifle in this cartridge.

http://www.willoughbymccabe.com/wm/detail.php?id=854

Ken

5. delta duster

delta duster Well-Known Member

Thats a nice looking rifle. You can find ammo, just google it. Theres plenty around. Superior Ammo in south dakota will load anything you like for about 80.00 a box of 20. It is very good premium ammo....

6. bullet-slinger

Thanks for the info. Buffalo arms also has 6.5x54 ammo too.

7. gregrn43

gregrn43 Well-Known Member

NEA
    Beautiful rifle, never had any experience with the cartridge. I'm a sucker for a pretty stock.

8. WillyB71

WillyB71 Well-Known Member

That's a lovely rifle...not a mannlicher stock, which should improved the accuracy. If I had one of those, I would reload for it.

9. bullet-slinger

I agree, if I do end up with it I'll also relooad for it.

10. bullet-slinger

I think most of us are suckers for a good looking piece of wood.

11. flintknapper

flintknapper Moderator/smokepole pimp

:fit:
    Life's just too short to put up with ugly wood! :biggrin:

12. bullet-slinger

Well, I did it. The rifle is ordered and should be here Tues, or Wed. Steyr imported a few of these with Kahles scopes already mounted on them. That is what I got coming.

As always I'm excited.

Ken

13. flintknapper

flintknapper Moderator/smokepole pimp

We'll be expecting purty pictures! :thumb:

14. bullet-slinger

Flint, The url below has pics of the exact rifle I have coming. It is supposed to be shipped Tues or Wed. It has a Kahles 3x9x42 scope with quick release scope mounts for using iron sights. There is a commerative number on the rifle with matching number on the scope. I'm actually getting the rifle for around $500.00 less than them price listed. Now all I have to do is sell a few of my other guns to pay my credit card off again. (poor boy thing) It's my understanding Steyr hasn't made a rifle chambered for this classic cartridge since about 1960. Figure if I want one it's now or never.

http://www.willoughbymccabe.com/wm/detail.php?id=851

If you click on the pictures they'll enlarge.

Take care,

Ken

Ken

Last edited: Jan 1, 2011
  15. Whitetail Chaser

Whitetail Chaser Well-Known Member

I have a Swedish 6.5 x 55 rifle that is a tack driver. Don't remember the name on it. If yours shoots anything like this one does you'll love it. Yours is a whole lot better looking than mine.

16. Mr. Chitlin

Mr. Chitlin Administrator Staff Member

NE Ark
    Good looking rifle or sure. You gonna hunt with it or will it be a safe queen?

17. bullet-slinger

I realize everyone is different and has different ideas about guns, but I have no safe queens and probably never will. To me a gun is for shooting and hunting with and I would never own one I felt was to pretty or valuable to do either with. If I find I own a gun that isn’t being used I soon sell it and replace it with something I hopefully will use. I have several that fall into that category right now and will soon sell them to pay for this new rifle. I’m not a collector, I’m a hunter and shooter who likes nice guns. Every so often I reduce the quantity of guns I own and try to replace quantity with quality by selling a few guns and replace them with a nicer gun.

I know men who have 3 or 4 and even 5 safes full of hundred and 2 hundred dollar guns that they do nothing with. I personally would rather have a half safe full of thousand and 2 thousand dollar guns I actually spend some time with shooting and hunting with.

Guess I may appear weird to some people because I would rather have ten guns I use than be able to say I own a hundred guns that are safe queens.

Ken

18. Mr. Chitlin

Mr. Chitlin Administrator Staff Member

NE Ark
    I'm the same way. I have no safe queens, although I do have a few that don't get taken out as often as some of the others.