Arkansas Hunting banner
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Member<br>2014-15 Bow Hunting Contest Winner
688 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am trying to decide what caliber I want for my next rifle. I have looked at the 6.5 PRC and like it on paper. I would like for people to talk me into or out of buying one.

·
Registered
750 Posts
I have two rifles in the caliber and love em. Have killed 2 bull elk and both dropped within eyesight. Factory ammo options are increasing if you don’t reload, lots of rifle offerings now with this chambering.

My 20” proof build is getting 3000fps with 140 vlds without pushing it.

·
Registered
2,340 Posts
I am trying to decide what caliber I want for my next rifle. I have looked at the 6.5 PRC and like it on paper. I would like for people to talk me into or out of buying one.
Do you reload? Are you buying factory or going custom build? Are you looking for practicality or badassery? Do you already own something very similar, or are you just beginning to expand your collection?

·
688 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Yeah I am thinking about a Ridgeline or a Mesa in this. I do reload but I like to have plenty of factory ammo just in case I need back up. What would you compare the recoil to? Going to be a light rifle either way.

·
Registered
220 Posts
The only downfall I can see that it might have would be finding 6.5 bullets to reload. I struggled there for a while finding anything, but they are becoming a little more readily available.

·
688 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Do you reload? Are you buying factory or going custom build? Are you looking for practicality or badassery? Do you already own something very similar, or are you just beginning to expand your collection?
I do reload. I have a Grendel and creedmoor but I think this is to mainly have to expand on my collection of rifles. I have a 28 nos but I think that would be overkill for anything in Arkansas deer-wise. I’ll have been asked to help manage 365 acres and a lot of it is field so I want something that will work for that as well. Coyotes, hogs and mainly does is what I’ll be shooting for the most part.

·
Registered
1,724 Posts
Just got one myself. I sighted it in and that’s it haven’t killed anything yet. But the comments about the ammo are real. I purchased the gun first and was not able to locate ammo for 6-8 months. So I’d recommend buying the ammo first. You can find the guns in that chambering fairly easy

·
Registered
2,340 Posts
I do reload. I have a Grendel and creedmoor but I think this is to mainly have to expand on my collection of rifles. I have a 28 nos but I think that would be overkill for anything in Arkansas deer-wise. I’ll have been asked to help manage 365 acres and a lot of it is field so I want something that will work for that as well. Coyotes, hogs and mainly does is what I’ll be shooting for the most part.
I think it would serve you well. I’d say for what you want, a flat shooting rifle for killing medium game, any really fast 25, 26, or 28 would work perfectly. That 28 N would do it all, but it’s a handful. The high BC bullets used in the 6.5PRC are heavy for caliber, so the recoil will also be on the higher side for caliber. A souped up 25 could serve you very well also, but you would be talking full custom with No off the shelf anything available. Without jumping way down a rabbit hole, I’d say 240 Weatherby, 25-06, 257 Weatherby, 6.5 PRC, 264 Win Mag, 6.5-300 Weatherby, and just about any flavor of 7Mag would be the ballpark for something task specific.

·
Registered
2,684 Posts
I was blessed with having my bases covered already but picked up a Tikka Roughtech 6.5 PRC in a trade. In performance, I pretty much know what to expect as I have shot a Ruger Number 1 in .264WM for years.
I like the cartridge, it comes closer to doing what many people think the CM can do, not quite but closer. It great for AR game, near or far.

·
Grand Member
16,287 Posts
I just bought a Christensen Arms Mesa in 6.5 PRC last Monday and love it. Ran two boxes of ammo though it in 3 shot groups breaking it in, per factory instructions. Almost every group had all three holes touching at 100yds out of a lead sled. Between shooting and cleaning I got tired of paper in the end and got to shooting turtles out to 250 yards in the 6-acre pond I was shooting by, it will scatter a turtle over a very large area with Hornady 143gr ELD-X bullets. A few days later I aired it out at 400 and 500yds and was very impressed. I sighted it in at 1.5" high at 100yds and at 400 the drop was exactly the 18 inches the ballistics state on the ammo box, at 500yds the box says -36, but mine centered all it's groups at -32". I really enjoy shooting it, less recoil than my Ruger #1 in 25/06 that weighs a lot more than the 6.5pound Mesa and a lot less kick than my .300 Win Mag. Shot it some more at 400 yards today and really tried to see what it would do, shooting 5 shot groups. I shot three groups, one was 4.5", one was 3.25" and one was 4". First time I've shot a rifle in a long time that I didn't have a single flier with. Backed off to 500yds and shot one group of 5 and it was just under 5", I think it can shoot better than I do, long range and old eyes don't go well together.

Christensen Arms Mesa | Arkansas Hunting

·
688 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I just bought a Christensen Arms Mesa in 6.5 PRC last Monday and love it. Ran two boxes of ammo though it in 3 shot groups breaking it in, per factory instructions. Almost every group had all three holes touching at 100yds out of a lead sled. Between shooting and cleaning I got tired of paper in the end and got to shooting turtles out to 250 yards in the 6-acre pond I was shooting by, it will scatter a turtle over a very large area with Hornady 143gr ELD-X bullets. A few days later I aired it out at 400 and 500yds and was very impressed. I sighted it in at 1.5" high at 100yds and at 400 the drop was exactly the 18 inches the ballistics state on the ammo box, at 500yds the box says -36, but mine centered all it's groups at -32". I really enjoy shooting it, less recoil than my Ruger #1 in 25/06 that weighs a lot more than the 6.5pound Mesa and a lot less kick than my .300 Win Mag. Shot it some more at 400 yards today and really tried to see what it would do, shooting 5 shot groups. I shot three groups, one was 4.5", one was 3.25" and one was 4". First time I've shot a rifle in a long time that I didn't have a single flier with. Backed off to 500yds and shot one group of 5 and it was just under 5", I think it can shoot better than I do, long range and old eyes don't go well together.

Christensen Arms Mesa | Arkansas Hunting
Yeah your post the other day got me to thinking about that caliber. I absolutely love my other 2 Ridgeline rifles I have so that’s why I’m leaning to that one but with the rebates right now I am thinking I could get a real shooter for a steal.

·
Grand Member
16,287 Posts
I'd never really looked at the 6.5PRC, but my grandson has hunted the last few years with a 6.5CM and it has done great from 80 to 200 yds on deer. I just always thought it lacked a little on energy, at least on paper, at distances out past 250 or 300yds. Then when I got to reading about the 6.5PRC, it was a CM on steroids, doing at 200yds what the CM does at the muzzle. I looked at the 26 Nosler, but then your getting back up to more recoil than I wanted. I never shot a 26 Nosler, but have a 28 Nosler and it kicked worse than my .300WM. I haven't had any trouble finding 6.5PRC ammo, at least on line. Mack's and Midway have both had it in stock, I've got my dies in now and a box of 143ELD X bullets, so I'm ready to start loading some, too. I've got to go to loading because I like shooting.it way to much to keep burning through $$$ factory ammo.

·
Registered
788 Posts
28 nos sounds just perfect. clean, efficient, plenty of knockdown if you get into shoulder

·
Registered
10 Posts
If you reload there are issues with some chambers. I have two 6.5PRC's. On my first rifle, after reloading the brass 4-5 times I could barely open the bolt. The SAAMI spec dies apparently do not size the brass close enough to the base. I fixed my problem with a JGS AW2 finish reamer. It opens the chamber a couple of thousandths in the right place. I reamed my second chamber before shooting. No problems with either ever since.

·
Registered
750 Posts
If you reload there are issues with some chambers. I have two 6.5PRC's. On my first rifle, after reloading the brass 4-5 times I could barely open the bolt. The SAAMI spec dies apparently do not size the brass close enough to the base. I fixed my problem with a JGS AW2 finish reamer. It opens the chamber a couple of thousandths in the right place. I reamed my second chamber before shooting. No problems with either ever since.
What rifle had chamber issues?

·
Registered
10 Posts
What rifle had chamber issues?
Christensen ELR. I sent the gun back to the factory when I first experienced the problem. They spun a new barrel on and got it back in 3weeks. The second barrel had the same problem. To Christensen's credit they are not the only gunmakers with this issue. It's well documented online. Search "6.5PRC bolt click".

My really like my Christensen ELR after getting it lined out. It's a shooter.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts