Arkansas Hunting banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,700 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I bought myself a couple of Christmas presents this year. A H&R Ultra Slug Hunter Deluxe and a Handi in 500 S&W w really nice laminated stocks.

Anyway Im gonna reload for both of them. Im think the Hammerhead slugs from Slugs are Us for the shotgun and mild lead bullet loads for the 500.

Anybody have these guns and can make recommendations for ammunition and reloading for them.

·
Premium Member
17,831 Posts
Hang on tight when you touch it off. I've shot the .500 in a 10" Performance Center pistol and it is all you want.

·
Premium Member
17,831 Posts
I'd add that we shot some 700gr, yes 700, lead bullets and they patterned horribly. The 10" barrel may have not been long enough to stabilize them and yours might, but I'd highly reccomend something in the 325 or 500 gr variety.

Other than a loose TRex, I can't fathom a need for those super heavy bullets.

·
Registered
1,700 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
No desire to shoot any of the 700gr bullets. I wanted a handi rifle with a rimmed cartridge and got a good deal on this one. Got it cheaper than I could have bought a 44 mag one. Those have cast frames and plastic stocks. I have read where the lower end loads are equal to a 44 magnum.
I will probably never shoot any max loads out of it, basically I'll duplicate a 50-70 w it. I have a 45-70 handi and love it.

·
Administrator
88,036 Posts
A 400-500 grain bullet at 44 mag velocities will shoot stem to stern on just about anything that walks in North America.

Fat slow bullets are what made the 45/70 so famous as a game stopper. It's hard to stop that much momentum.

·
Registered
1,700 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I only shoot cast in my 45-70 and most likely will only shoot cast in the 500.
Found a four banger mold for the 500 and am trying to raise a few bucks to get it.
Gonna start casting this summer.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.