5 Gallon Bucket Trap

Discussion in 'General Hunting Topics' started by retnuhreed, Jan 5, 2008.

1. retnuhreed

retnuhreed Well-Known Member

Anybody ever seen or used one of these? I've caught allot of coons and some possum with it, they work great. :cool:

View attachment 1814

Last edited: Jan 19, 2008
  2. sam

sam Grand Member<br>2007 Photo Contest Winner<br>

that's a new one to me, what holds the door shut after its tripped?

3. retnuhreed

The bar going across the top slides down the sides to the bottom.

4. FiremanMSmith

FiremanMSmith Well-Known Member

I just finished building a repeating coon trap out of a 55 gallon barrel. I havent been able to set it out yet so I dont know if it will work. As soon as I put it out and it works, I will post some pics. It is pretty ugly so I wont post pics until I can say it works. :biggrin:

5. retnuhreed

Maker is Iron City Trap Company

I cant post their website because I havent made enough post.....:confused: Its their name .com.

6. sam

OK, took a minute of look'n at the picture to get it through my head, but after I finally saw it right I got it. Might have to make a couple of these, be cheaper than store bought live traps.

7. retnuhreed

Doesn't look like it would be that hard to make. One thing about the trap is the coons dont go crazy in it, guess they feel safer in the bucket, I dont know. I've caught em' in square wire traps and they come unglued when you approach.

8. sam

Yep, I've had to re-build all my wire, store bought live traps, they don't put'em together near tough enough for big coons.

9. Earnhardt fan #1

Earnhardt fan #1 Premium Member<br>2012 Turkey Hunting Contest Winn

Sam most of our coons don't eat as well as yours do:wink:

10. neotoxo

neotoxo Super Member<br>'08 Smackdown Team Winner

What sets and triggers it?

11. RAMBUSTER

RAMBUSTER Well-Known Member

+1 :head:
    I need a couple of those.:up:

12. retnuhreed

The rod holding the door up goes to the back of the bucket then 90's down to a paddle. You put the bait behind the paddle and when they reach the ole paw back there to dig the food out they pull the paddle to em and release the door.

13. taxidermydude

taxidermydude Well-Known Member

Welllll they just sold one more! LOL

14. bbauer

bbauer Member<br>2009 Predator Contest Winner

How would you dispatch animals?

15. retnuhreed

Dispatch

I guess when you say "dispatch", you mean get em' out? :confused: Uh..... you gotta open the door. :razz: The rod is threaded about half way down and has a coupling in the middle so you can unscrew it and pull it out. Coons will grab that pedal sometimes and you cant shake em out. When you take the rods apart, the paddle and the coon will all come out.

16. Hillbillyhunter

Hillbillyhunter Member<br>2006 Photo Contest Winner

I looked and looked and could not see how a bar slides on that . could you give a better pic of the bar that slides to hold the door down..

17. retnuhreed

Bar

Im not where I can take a pic of the trap but heres a pic of what it looks like. It just slides up and down the front, sized to where it wont come off. Hope this helps.

View attachment 1837

Last edited: Jan 19, 2008
  18. That is too good!! I'll have to build myself one or two of dem rascals!

19. hollenbach

hollenbach Well-Known Member

I have used a lot of bucket traps with a 220 Connibear set in the opening. The coon will be very calm when you approach this set up, also.