44 magnum range?

Discussion in 'Deer Hunting' started by kyhunter, Nov 27, 2012.

1. kyhunter

kyhunter Member

Ky
    Hey all
    I liked the thread on the 308, effective kill range.
    Seems like there is a lot of knowledge here.
    That being said, what would be your opinions of the efffective range for a 44 magnum lever action rifle, (marlin)
    What ammo to use, etc.
    Also the drop out to around 100 - 150 yards.
    thanks

2. SwampCat

SwampCat Well-Known Member Lifetime Supporter

I have a Ruger .44 carbine - about an inch high at 50 yards and right on at 100 with 240 gr. We have killed several deer, up to 180 lbs with it out to 100 yards and shot through everyone of them. Up until I got my .450 bushmaster it was the gun of choice at my house. It is still the gun all the women pick up - and they are the killers.

3. Veo

Veo Super Member<br>2012 Turkey Contest Winner

Same here with the Ruger carbine and I have killed deer at 150 yards with then, but can't remember the drop I'm thinking 6 inches.

May not be a better deer killer out there.

4. BIG DOG

BIG DOG Member-2018 Spring Team Turkey Contest Winner

after doing a 100yd test on 1/2" steel plate im a 44mag fan

we where shooting both 1 day and the 30/30 was just barely denting the plate, the 44 went through it, less recoil too

5. allyellow

allyellow Well-Known Member

Don't know about a rifle, but in my raging bull with 8 3/8 barrell is very deadly at 100 yds. 1" high at 50 yds puts me dead on at a 100 yds with my own loads.

6. beltcutter

beltcutter Well-Known Member

I've got the Ruger .44 Carbine. I've killed more deer with that little booger than any other weapon. I carry it when my shots are no more than 100 yards or so. For those long range possibilities the .308 goes in the truck.

7. allyellow

Elmer Keith claimed to kill a mule deer at 600 yds with 6" 44 mag.

8. hogsbreath

hogsbreath Well-Known Member

I have a Ruger 77/44 that I use for shots less than 100 Yds. Check out Buffalo Bore ammunition. I shoot the Deer Grenade and Keith loads out of mine. Of the two, I like the deer grenade better. It's pricey, though.

9. mwells72774

mwells72774 Well-Known Member

I use a H&R trapper with 300gr XTP hand loads and am comfortable out to 150

10. Mountain Oyster

Mountain Oyster Well-Known Member

I have a Marlin lever action .44 that I have used to kill several deer. The longest kill I have made so far is 125 yards. Mine shoots Winchester flat nose 240 grain bullets the best. The gun is light and handles great. It is the gun of choice for my daughter.

11. mdl

mdl Well-Known Member

Do the 44 rifles you guys have shoot the same round as the Ruger Red Hawk revolver? I'm bucked out for the first time ever & was kicking around the idea of taking a doe with that.

12. mwells72774

mwells72774 Well-Known Member

mine's loaded at pistol levels IIRC

13. Sylamore

Sylamore Super Moderator Staff Member

I don't have a .44 mag. rifle but sure would like to try one. I do have a .44 Mag pistol. S&W Mdl. 29 ( Dirty Harry). I have not killed a deer with it but I really like to shoot it. I have hunted with it in real tight cover several time but just haven't got the shot I wanted to try. I reload a 240 gr. FN at :head: Can't remember velocity right now. It is very accurate to 50 yards in the revolver. I have also shot the same load in a T/C Contender single shot. :thumb:

14. allyellow

With my reloads I can push a 200 gr jsp to 1700 fps ( one heck of a fireball at the ports and the end of the barrell) and push a 240 gr jsp at 1500 fps. Both are accurate at 50yds and 100 yds.

15. BAMonster

BAMonster Well-Known Member

Have a 44 mag Winchester saddle riffle shooting 240grain hollow point ammo took a 5x5 bull elk at 120 yards was a neck shot and dropped him in his tracks they have less recoil great gun my 12 year old daughter claims it as hers she shoots it more than I do. Good shooting fellas!

16. Mr. Chitlin

Mr. Chitlin Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

NE Ark
    44 mag rifles are just fun little guns to shoot. My old eye's aren't the best and I practice at up to about 75 yards with my 44 handguns, which is about the longest shot I'd attempt. Just my personal self, but I try to keep shots under 50 years, not due to the rounds limitations but mine. With a rifle the 44 would be fine at 100 yards or more. Past 150 it would start dropping pretty quick. When I hunt the thick woods I carry either a 35 Rem lever gun or a 44 Mag rifle.

Most of my practice is with 240 grain RNFP hard cast loads at ~1100 FPS from the revolvers and that same load adds about 200 FPS from the rifle (Marlin lever bun). My full house round is a 240 gr Hornady XTP at ~1400-1500 in the revolver and 1700 FPS in the rifles. Due to the gas system I only shoot jacketed loads out of the Ruger carbine.

17. Thenarwhal

Thenarwhal Well-Known Member

I used to shoot handgun silhouette matches with a .44 mag revolver and a .44 mag Contender single shot. Accuracy was good on 200 meter rams and the round would take them down consistently with heavier bullets. But the kill zone of an average Arkansas deer is smaller than a steel ram silhouette. I think 200 yards is really pushing it as a hunting round. My longest .44 mag animal kill shot was a mule deer at 136 yards with a Redhawk revolver. I generally regard the .44 mag as a 150-yard rifle cartridge and 100-125 yards with a handgun, assuming a practiced and proficient shooter. Anything more than that and there's just too much possibility for things to go wrong. For a casual shooter, keep the shots at around 100 yards and you'll be happy with the .44 as a deer cartridge.

18. ArkArcher

ArkArcher Moderator Staff Member

What pistol did/do you shoot? I have a S&W mdl 29 44 mag with a LONG barrel that I'm told has a "silhouette" sight on the fornt, but I've never seen one like it.

19. Thenarwhal

Thenarwhal Well-Known Member

You probably have the Model 29 Silhouette. You can do a google search for details and photos. It's likely a 10-inch barrel with a solid or vent rib. The front sight will be adjustable for windage and elevation, and it may have a hood or partial hood. The rear sight will also be adjustable. It may be drilled and tapped and even come with scope mounts. Grips were different and the triggers were nicer than the standard guns. They were made in the early 80s when silhouette was a booming sport, but they were never very popular. The Dan Wessons were more versatile and cheaper, and the Rugers were stronger and cheaper. I've shot a couple of the 29 silhouette guns but never owned one. They are cool guns and can easily learn a new trade: take it to the woods. The Model 29 that people think of as the "Dirty Harry" gun had the 7" or 8 3/8" barrel and didn't have the silhouette refinements. For silhouette revolvers I was a Ruger guy, generally shot Redhawks, Blackhawks and Super Blackhawks, all of which were easily adapted to deer slaying when the match days were over. I have a buddy who has a Dan Wesson revolver from back then with the set of interchangeable barrels, including a 15 1/2" barrel. It is the most ridiculous thing you've ever seen, but it will do 2" groups at 100 yards, and has been good for several game animals.

20. wingjunke

wingjunke Well-Known Member

My dad won his ruger 44 rifle on a one dollar chance at the jonesboro fair in 1968! He loves it but it was not as accurate beyond 50-60 yrds. I bought him some of the hornady ballistic rounds, i think they are 245 grn. He can reach out to about 125 with about a 3" drop. He loves that ol gun and its great at making your ears ring!