Arkansas Hunting banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

· Registered
2,545 Posts
Speer Gold Dot. Thats three different answers from the first three posters. I'd say any of the big name ammo will do its job as long as you place them where they need to go. go with what feeds and ejects in your pistol, shoot enough to be sure and practice until placing center mass hits becomes easy to do. I Would recommend nothing lighter than 165 grains, you gotta have enough penetration after the bullet hits.

· Registered
2,541 Posts
The opinions you'll get here will surely not be based on experience since I know of no one who has personally shot anyone. So we are all left with gleaning what information we can from web sites, most of which rely on manufacturers claims. There some independent tests to be found but will, in all likelihood, split hairs and give no definitive answers.

For me, I just make sure I have a medium to heavy hollow point bullet going at a good speed and feel safe knowing any load using such a bullet is going to do as much to a bad guy as needed. Stay away from the light-for-caliber pills, FMJs and reduced recoil loads and you should be fine as long as the selected load functions flawlessly in your weapon. I wouldn't even worry too much about accuracy since any life or death altercation is going to take place within spitting distance anyway. An inch is not going to matter.

· Registered
7,196 Posts
The opinions you'll get here will surely not be based on experience since I know of no one who has personally shot anyone.
Actually my opinion was based on the experiences of a 40+ officer police department that has been using the 165 gr Golden Saber for several years.
We shoot a couple thousand of them a year with very few fail to feed or fail to fire issues. They have also performed well on several wounded deer, bad dogs, and unfortunately a couple of folks who made some very poor decisions in life. Are they the only round that will work? No. Are they the best? I don't know. I can only say I have seen no reason to change.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.