Arkansas Hunting banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
527 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This makes our fourth year coming to CO chasing elk and it’s finally paid off. First two years rifle, then last year we tried with a bow and back to OTC rifle this year. Hunting these Rocky Mtns is no joke as most of you already know. We’ve seen elk every year but never had a real opportunity until last year but couldn’t make it happen. All of that’s changed now.

Base camp sits at 10,200 ft elevation and we hiked straight up the day before opener to make spike camp at 11,300.
Sky Tree Slope Larch Snow

Sky Plant Natural environment Natural landscape Wood

Opening morning, I hiked straight up again. Ultimately reaching 12,000 ft and was on top of a ridge that connected two mtn peaks. I’m not in shape to be doing all of that but when in Rome...
Sky Ecoregion Natural environment Slope Mountain

Reaching the top of that ridge, I walked about 200 yards until I came across a good resting spot. Perfect spot to sit on a rock and take in God’s beautiful creation, semi overlooking a field below.

Had phone signal so I sent a few texts out and was checking in with work when I heard commotion down below. It was cows coming out of the timber cutting across the field and coming straight up to the ridge I was sitting on. They were off to my West so looking at them, they were all broadside. Immediately I ranged the open part of the field where they were all coming out of the timber, 300yards.
Sky Plant community Natural landscape Slope Plant

After about 20 cows and a spike I finally see a legal bull come out. None of them were running but they dang sure weren’t on a leisurely stroll. Just so happens where I was sitting way up high, there was a dead tree laid across in front of me that worked perfect to sit on the ground and rest the rifle on.

So there I was, finally had a nice bull in my sights and he actually stopped for a brief second just after coming out in the open. I squeeze one off, miss. He starts a little faster pace up the hill after his cows and I shoot again leading him, miss (or so I thought). The last little opening I had a chance at him, guessed him to still be 250 yards and he actually stopped. I couldn’t believe it.
Sky Plant Mountain Natural landscape Slope

(I was already half way down to him when I took this pic)

Squeezed another off and when I got the scope back settled on him he was doing the classic front leg lift and started to stumble a little. I tried to shoot again but the gun jammed, trusty Remington 7400 lol. He stumbles down hill out of sight.

Plant Hunting People in nature Working animal Tree

Wood Plant Grass Trunk Terrestrial animal

Plant Wood Trunk Natural material Grass

Blessed is an understatement. Long story I know but I’m sure tickled and thought I’d share.
Shooting 220grain 30-06 that was sighted in for 100 yards. It’s a wonder to me that any of the shots connected at 250 yards at such a steep angle. Pack out sucked. Roughly 1600 ft elevation drop over 1.5 miles but I’m thankful it was all down hill. We got him out in 1 trip between theee of us. I had 103lbs, father in law 70 and his brother 40. They’re both right at 60 years young and going strong. Very thankful for both of them.
Plant Sky Leaf Natural environment Branch

Plant Sky Mountain Tree Hiking equipment

Didn’t have the head near high enough on the pack but we spent so long strapping him on I wasn’t about to re do it. I should have though lol. We carried the head out because the book says in our unit all bulls have to be cwd tested. Come to find out that was only for draw tags.

·
Super Moderator
9,359 Posts
Fantastic!!! This is so cool...and I love the photos. We were not successful this year on our first archery tag...but this fires me up even more to get back out there next year!

Congratulations!

·
Registered
527 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks. It’s sure been fun. We came to town yesterday to turn the head in for cwd and that’s when they told us it was draw only that needed testing. Got a hotel for the night and headed back to spike camp this evening. FIL and his brother still have tags. There were 5 bulls bugling up there opening morning. We’re going back to get them one hopefully. I’ll update next time we’re in town.

·
Registered
527 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 · (Edited)
Thanks for the kind words!

Headed home now, almost to Amarillo for the night, fil and his brother going home empty handed. It sure wasn’t from lack of effort, they hunted hard. Never did hear another bugle after opening morning but we all saw plenty more cows and spikes, just nothing legal. I had a bear tag and sat over the carcass but was a few days late I’m afraid. Bear tracks everywhere and the carcass had been drug about 100yards from where we left it. Had a great time in camp and with the family. Two other guys that we know camped with us a few days and each killed a 5x5. Now back to reality...and a wife that’s 8.5 months pregnant lol. Believe it or not she basically forced me to come on this trip. She’s a good one for sure. That pic is from back in June, I know better than to post a pic of her any bigger! Lol
Footwear Smile Car Window Sky

Plant Plant community Fawn Landscape Hat

Daytime Plant Blue Natural environment Tent

·
Registered
527 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Fun fact, the hoody I’m wearing is from the random Santa gift exchange we did on here a few years ago.

Also, the second shot I took leading him a good ways and thought I missed...well while skinning him we found a bullet wound about an inch inside the flesh right on the front of his chest. Height was good but just lead too much as he was running. Was a mere flesh wound.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.