4 wheeler

Discussion in 'ATV's and Motorcycles' started by conwayhunter, Sep 10, 2020.

1. conwayhunter

conwayhunter Well-Known Member

conway
    Have a 2010 Yamaha bigbear fuel injected that has been sitting up for a while and I didn’t realize it had fuel in the tank. Gas cap underside corroded and fuel turned to what ever fuel turns to sitting up. I need to remove and clean. It’s plastic I think. What’s the best way to clean the inside ? And is it hard to remove? Thanks for any help or advice you can give me.

sparkie likes this.
  2. Useyourbow

Useyourbow Well-Known Member

Drain it from the fuel line at the carburetor. Small line so it will take sometime. Refuel with high octane and seafoam gas treatment. Time and clean gas is the only way to clean the inside of a plastic tank.

Jim_1978 and sparkie like this.

3. schaps72

schaps72 Well-Known Member

Just did this. I had to order a new gas valve too. There was some nasty stuff in the tank. I drained mine straight from the valve into a small bucket. I’d put gas in and shake it like heck then drain and repeat. Took probably four times to get it to where I thought it was good. By then all the junk had settled in the valve and it wouldn’t shut off. Bought a new one and a carb kit. Runs good now. Gonna add a inline filter before I run it much more.

sparkie likes this.
  4. buck720

buck720 Well-Known Member

Was is it jelled up like jelly

sparkie likes this.
  5. conwayhunter

conway
    I’m thinking I will need a new valve also. It’s stopped up. I tried to drain it through hose but no luck.

sparkie likes this.
  6. ozarkthunder

ozarkthunder Well-Known Member

I took a carb from my uncles tractor apart, the old gas sat on my work bench like jello.

sparkie likes this.
  7. conwayhunter

conway
    Don’t think it was that bad it was still loose

sparkie likes this.
  8. take the valve apart and drain it there (or take it off?)

it's not hard to pull the tank off, and thats the preferred way. 2 bolts up front, under the front fender, and two in the back. Remove fuel line, remove the two fender tab screws, then wiggle the tank out. That way you can take it to the car wash and blast that junk loose inside of it. Let it dry out before reinstalling. And no don't do like my brother did and try to dry it out with a propane torch. That did not end well. Replace the valve and fuel line, and if it's that bad you're probably gonna have to rebuild the carburetor too. Just get one of those Shindy carb kits, they work great and arent' terribly expensive, about $45 as I recall, and has everything you need and then some. If I didn't already have a dozen-teen projects going right now I'd offer to do the job at reasonable cost.

sparkie and conwayhunter like this.
  9. conwayhunter

conway
    Thanks. It’s fuel injected does that make a difference?

sparkie likes this.
  10. big bears were never fuel injected, always carb, 250, 400cc both

Sure it ain't a grizzly 550 or 700? The 550 was 2 years only, as I recall 12-13, 700 was around a while

schaps72 and sparkie like this.
  11. conwayhunter

conway
    I’ll check again for some reason I was thinking it was fuel injected thanks for your help

sparkie likes this.
  12. conwayhunter

conway
    Will this work ? IMG_1888.jpg

13. arkrem870

arkrem870 Well-Known Member

Conway
    What’s a whole new carb cost?

sparkie likes this.
  14. fullcredit

fullcredit Super Moderator Staff Member Sponsor

I bought a new carb online for my friends Honda Foreman for $29. Worked great.

orangefeetdown and sparkie like this.
  15. arkrem870

arkrem870 Well-Known Member

Conway
    That's prob best move

orangefeetdown and sparkie like this.
  16. sparkie

sparkie Well-Known Member Supporting Member

NEA
    I did also---- and one online from Honda cost 169.00

17. schaps72

schaps72 Well-Known Member

Yes that should work. I bought a mikuni rebuild kit and it came with just about everything except the jets. It was nearly $60 so I assumed it had everything. I went to the local dealer and bought another rebuild kit and now she’s running right. I know you can buy a whole carb online for about $40 but I’ve heard lots of mixed reviews. You can take the gas valve apart and clean it too. I did mine but it started leaking afterwards so for $8 it got a new Chinese one.

sparkie likes this.
  18. conwayhunter

conway
    Update! I took the tank off and cleaned it. Order new Petcock valve and carburetor rebuild kit. Bought a new battery so hopefully when I get all the parts in and installed I can get it running again. Thanks for yalls help.

sparkie and schaps72 like this.
  19. as a tech I hate those chinese knockoff carburetors

lot of times you get into them sometimes years from the day they were installed maybe it was sold to an individual or whatever, gelled fuel, etc and assume that they are oem carbs like 90% of what's out there, order a shindy carb kit, and when you go to install it....nope, wrong stuff, won't thread in, gasket don't fit, etc. Then you're back to square one. So in a case like that, as a tech the boss says I gotta charge for the time I spend on repair. So if I take it apart, find out it's a knockoff and won't work, that's about 45 minutes gone, give or take that gets charged to the job, regardless if the owner decides to fix or not. Sometimes I can remove/clean the jets and throw it back together and it'll work, other times it needs more...gaskets/seals/o-rings/diaphragms/etc that I can't get for those knockoffs, they are a pain in the neck for a lot of reasons. More time=more money. I (we) do everything we can to reduce the time/money owed, but we also have to do it right, or risk making people mad and/or having to do it 2 or 3 times, free in a lot of cases. Not to mention the embarrassment.

much better off just putting a kit in the oe carb although it might cost more than the $29 chinese carb, just a better value in the long run

schaps72, Jim_1978 and sparkie like this.
  20. conwayhunter

conway
    I can’t even get the float needle out of the original carburetor after I got the kit in lol. I just ordered a new carb and going to sell the old one along with the rebuild kit. If anyone needs pm me.