Arkansas Hunting banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Super Moderator
9,501 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well heck. We have Thursday-Sunday off and plan to hunt. The forecast is not looking good!! Dangit. Wanted to bow hunt some but that's not my favorite activity in colder weather and rain. I might melt or freeze or both. We do have one box blind we can hunt in the rain. Anyone have good luck in the rain like that? It's over a good food plot...so maybe when the rain lets up periodically we will get some movement.

I figure we will be out hunting as much as we can. Won't get one from the couch as they say.

·
Registered
2,532 Posts
Yes, rain can be really good to hunt in. There was a thread a few weeks ago on here you might find, but generally unless it's a heavy rain, or rainy with high winds, or especially if lightning is around, I like to hunt.

It still kind of depends on the actual conditions as to how much I feel is too much for me to see much: if the rain is heavy and steady or intermittent showers, etc. A light rain is great, and right after a heavy, long rain tapers off and stops is great! It can definitely be good in the right rain.

·
Ultimate Member 2007 Team Turkey Contest Winner
56,527 Posts
If you are confident in your resistance to cold/respiratory illness, I's say go for it....ground blind may need a quick coat of "CampDry" or if to hunt in a covered box stand, some consideration to stay dry is in order. You wont be able to rely on sounds so much, with rain beating down, so take up a stand where you have a long shooting lane with good view in a couple directions to increase your chances. After rain pauses, be really alert, because after about 20 or 30 minutes of no rain, deer will stand up, maybe move into an open area to get out of the dripping brush.

I'm not gonna be out in it, I have tons of other stuff I'm behind on!:biggrin:

·
Registered
2,532 Posts
Light rain, misty, dark, etc., is often good for fields and food plots. Turkeys will be in the open in the rain. John Stiles is right about the woods and rain...you WILL NOT hear them coming! They just ghost around and will "appear" right in front of you!

·
Super Moderator
9,501 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
This is just my third season to hunt....And it's all I want to do right now. We work full time M-F and these days can't get home before dark. So weekends and these few holidays are about all we have to hunt. And I'm thrilled to have that much time honestly, don't want to whine.... I just hate to see that forecast when it's bright and sunny out my window at work right now!

So...I'll risk respiratory illness...and stay as warm and dry as possible...but I'm gonna hunt! I guess if it's a frog strangler I'll be working on tanning the hides I have to do. That's somewhat related to hunting anyway. :up:

·
Registered
2,532 Posts
You just have to go when you can, and hunt what you get. You'll see a lot of things when you're not "supposed" to. You never know, you just have to be there. It beats staying in and watching HGTV with 7 point... #HGTV4LIFE

·
Registered
30,685 Posts
I'm bummed. Grandson is coming today from out of state to deer hunt a few days here at our farm with me. A rare event. We have paid for a guided duck hunt Friday in Stuttgart.

Dang!

·
Super Moderator<br>2012-13 Deer Hunting Contest Wi
11,017 Posts
A thermos of coffee, a dry box blind, some cookies and a good book...yeah I can hunt like that. Killed some good bucks during those times as well. Make yourself comfortable and sit it out.

·
Ultimate Member 2007 Team Turkey Contest Winner
56,527 Posts
This is just my third season to hunt....And it's all I want to do right now. We work full time M-F and these days can't get home before dark. So weekends and these few holidays are about all we have to hunt. And I'm thrilled to have that much time honestly, don't want to whine.... I just hate to see that forecast when it's bright and sunny out my window at work right now!

So...I'll risk respiratory illness...and stay as warm and dry as possible...but I'm gonna hunt! I guess if it's a frog strangler I'll be working on tanning the hides I have to do. That's somewhat related to hunting anyway. :up:
If you're hunting private land, you could always hunt out the truck window.....deer aren't particularly frightened by motor vehicles anymore, you will have a heater that way, I started my younguns that way on our family property, deer would walk out in the open and just stand there staring.:biggrin:

·
Grand Member<br> 2006 Spring Turkey Team Contest W
3,298 Posts
I will be sitting in a box stand in the rain. It is my last weekend to hunt for the year. I am having surgery on my wrist next Thursday.

·
Registered
1,263 Posts
You go get after them deer..Ark Girl..I killed my best buck ever in a thunder storm, would never have known he was there if not for that storm.

Thunder made 2 does jump up and skee daddle across the semi-cutover, I was going to shoot one of them, but first, they jumped up the big 10 pointer who headed straight towards me. I missed him clean at about 15 yards, then short armed the 2nd round which snapped, finally got him good on the 3rd try.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.