Arkansas Hunting banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Have a H&R rebored to 357 Max. and am trying to shoot 180gr cast PC bullets at .358. Using Lil Gun. at 19 gr. I get a 2.5" group at 20gr it opens up to 5" at 50 yrds off rest. Am I trying to push the Polymer coated bullets to fast ? Note: Barrel slugged and I measure it at about .357 and chamber is tight an will not take a .359 dia bullet.

·
Registered
406 Posts
Lil'gun is usually a good powder, I've shot a lot of it with both lead and jacketed boolits but never tried PC. You don't mention if you have tried load increments between 19 & 20... I use it in 357 and 44 mag... usually go .2 or .3 increments until I'm near max then I drop to .1
As you are probably aware, it burns HOT and there are many reports of flame cutting the top strap of revolvers. That's probably not an issue unless you shoot a lot of hot loads. I like it in my levers and a few in my revolvers now and then...

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yes I tried from 19.5 to 22 in .5 grain increments. Higher the load, larger the group up to 10" at 50 yrds. I have very accurate loads for Hornady 180 XTP but the PC in the H&R Max does not seem to want to cooperate. I am working up 158 gr cast PC in my DW pistol with very good results, and I have good luck in the TC Max 12" barrel. I am missing something but can't put my finger on it.
Note: I have read a lot on Lil Gun and I think its getting a bad rap. Guess I will know more in 1500 rds.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts