Arkansas Hunting banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
2,913 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My wife had bought me a new Marlin last year chambered in .35 rem. I have been wanting to kill a hog with it so last sunday i got the chance and took advantage of the situation. I was also shooting the new Hornady LeveRevolutions in 200gr. ballistic tips. I was very impressed to say the least. The hog was a 258lb. boar with a very thick shield on him and at 70yds it put a very nice hole in his chest and deposited all of the energy into him. All i can say is WOW!!! i am very impressed.

·
Registered
2,913 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I was a little unsure myself about that Hornady bullet but you are right....it is wicked. My new favorite gun. I killed a deer earlier during season and it blew through him like hot butter but i was still unsure until it put that big hog down the other day. I am pleased and am tickled to death with the .35 itself

·
Premium Member
11,480 Posts
Man, now I gotta go try those leverevolutions I bought for my 336...

Has anybody seen the new Hornady revolution rounds for .44 mag? I gotta little Ruger 44 carbine I'm thinking of tuning up for the kids to hunt with, but so far nobody seems to have the 44's--are they even out yet?

·
Super Moderator
8,353 Posts
I reload for my .35 Rem and the results on deer has been outstanding. I prefer a Remington 200 gr. Round Nose bullet at 2000 fps. My rifle (Marlin Lever Action, Model 336C) will do one inch groups @100 yds and is well suited for the hardwood forests of the Ozarks. Welcome to the ranks of those that have discovered the secrets of the .35 Rem. :thumb:

·
Premium Member
11,480 Posts
Hey all you .35 Whelen fans and .35 remington single-shot people: have I got a deal for you!

Years ago, dad ordered a box of 100 .35 cal 200grn. bullets for our Marlin 336 in .35 rem. Well, the old man wasn't wearing his bifocals when he ordered them, and we got pointy soft-point bullets that won't work in our tube magazine, and we don't have anything bolt or single-shot in that caliber.

I just don't trust myself to load them one at time in the Marlin, so I'll offer them to a good home. I'd love to trade bullets box for box, but I'd just as soon give them to somebody that can use them instead of them taking up room on my shelves. I did cut the seal on the box to peek, but they're all there.

Anybody interested, PM me!

·
Registered
2,913 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Hey all you .35 Whelen fans and .35 remington single-shot people: have I got a deal for you!

Years ago, dad ordered a box of 100 .35 cal 200grn. bullets for our Marlin 336 in .35 rem. Well, the old man wasn't wearing his bifocals when he ordered them, and we got pointy soft-point bullets that won't work in our tube magazine, and we don't have anything bolt or single-shot in that caliber.

I just don't trust myself to load them one at time in the Marlin, so I'll offer them to a good home. I'd love to trade bullets box for box, but I'd just as soon give them to somebody that can use them instead of them taking up room on my shelves. I did cut the seal on the box to peek, but they're all there.

Sorry, i have the 336 Marlin so i couldn't use them.

·
Administrator
89,107 Posts
I reload for my .35 Rem and the results on deer has been outstanding. I prefer a Remington 200 gr. Round Nose bullet at 2000 fps.
Interesting... I loaded up 20 35's with 200 grain Remington RN bullets and 36.0 grains of H4895. Velocity averaged 1990 with 5 shots out of the Marlin 336C. Extreme spread was less than 20 fps. This powder has superb ES. I sighted it in pretty close at 50 yards and ran out of ammo. By the time I shot 5 over the chrono and got it on paper, I was out. I am going to sit down this evening and load another 50 - 100 and give it a workout tomorrow.

·
Registered
7,455 Posts
Glad to see this post on the old 35. When i was a kid my dad's buddy had an old Remington 141 pump in 35. I thought that thing was the neatest thing.
My dad tried and tried to trade him out of it. Now his grandson has it and it is still a no go. That old rifle has probably killed 200 deer. I had forgotten about the old rifle until I ran across one the other day and bought it. My intentions are woods hog hunting with it. Figured I would put a 21/2 power or maybe 1 to 5 scope on it. I read somewhere last night that with the way the old remmys were made you could load them with pointed bullets but dont know. Do any of yall have any idea? Glad to see so many like this forgotten jewel.
Reb

·
Administrator
89,107 Posts
I spent about an hour at the bench after dinner and loaded up some more 35 ammo to finish the range work tomorrow.

Here's 50 little soldiers standing at attention ready for range duty... :biggrin:

·
Super Moderator
8,353 Posts
Let us know how it turns out.

I am using IMR - 4064 and the Hornady Reloading data I am using shows it to be a Max. charge. Next time I go to the range I will carry the Chrony and see what the numbers are.

Good luck at the range tomorrow.

·
Administrator
89,107 Posts
Here are the chrono results I got today with the 35...

Shot #:
1 - 1984
2 - 1990
3 - 1990
4 - 1990
5 - 1996

Average - 1990

Extreme Spread - 12

Standard Deviation - 4

I rarely see ES and SD that low. I am really pleased with the H4895 so far in the 35 and the 30/30.

In the 30/30 with H4895 and 150 grain bullets, I had an ES of 21 and SD of 8, average 2195 fps.

I have enough ammo loaded now that I might run some 10 round strings tomorrow.

·
Registered
9,622 Posts

Ya still got em?? I got a 35 Rem T/C Contender........

·
Super Moderator
8,353 Posts
Here are the chrono results I got today with the 35...

Shot #:
1 - 1984
2 - 1990
3 - 1990
4 - 1990
5 - 1996

Average - 1990

Extreme Spread - 12

Standard Deviation - 4

I rarely see ES and SD that low. I am really pleased with the H4895 so far in the 35 and the 30/30.

In the 30/30 with H4895 and 150 grain bullets, I had an ES of 21 and SD of 8, average 2195 fps.

I have enough ammo loaded now that I might run some 10 round strings tomorrow.
That's exceptionally good. You'll be shooting one hole groups. :thumb:

·
Premium Member
11,480 Posts
Seriously Handgunner, tell me where and we can figger out how to get them to you. I'd rather mail them to a good home than let 'em go to waste. :biggrin: Only problem with this deal is ya can't bargain the price any lower!

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.