30x40x14 Shop Build

Discussion in 'Do It Yourself' started by luckless, Jul 17, 2017.

1. jpsimmons45

jpsimmons45 Well-Known Member

Has your building permit been approved?

2. luckless

luckless Member Forum Sponsor 2011 Turkey Contest Winner

Took sliding a long wheel base 10 under the table, but finally got it thru.

3. JohnnieWalker

JohnnieWalker Well-Known Member

Ol' luckless knows low people in high places.

4. luckless

Our HOA out here are a bunch of useless nothings. They're all crooked as Hwy 7 and like the Clinton family on a smaller scale.

5. JohnnieWalker

JohnnieWalker Well-Known Member

I know what you mean. That's why I don't have a shop. Our HOA says that it has to be constructed of the same material as the home. So that would be brick with architectural shingles. Must be on a slab and plumbed. I'd like to have a big shop with one end facing the pool and use some of it as a "pool house." But I couldn't imagine how much it would cost to build it like I would have to, so that it met the standards of our HOA. Probably $25K+. I'll just continue to keep my boat and ranger in my 3 car garage and park outside. I'm allowed to have one vehicle parked outside (visible from the street). Most frustrating thing is, 2 houses down, a guy has a 30x40 metal shop but his was "grandfathered" in as his was the first house built in our neighborhood. I think it looks perfectly fine and don't understand why we can't all have one.

mallarddrake likes this.
  6. luckless

7. hillbillycycles

hillbillycycles Well-Known Member

Lookin good. You will be filling that space with junk in no time!

8. luckless

Thanks - raised my first wall Saturday. Set the trusses on Sunday. Been lathing in the afternoons after work.

I am almost to the point I wish I would have paid someone else to do it.

Got a quote yesterday on having someone else do the metal. $8,500 labor only. So I guess I'll be doing that myself too!

curdog1 likes this.
  9. lawson6565

lawson6565 Well-Known Member

my neighbor and i both built 30 x 30 x 10 post form shops.. his has bubble insulation and mine has white plastic backed insulation. my shop is 10 to 15 degrees cooler in the summer and easier to heat in the winter. since we are neighbors, you need to come look at both and see the differance. just my 2 cents but i think the plastic backed is better insulating

luckless likes this.
  10. JasonS

JasonS Well-Known Member

Have the walls and ceiling spray foamed. Best money you'll spend on your shop. Call reeves insulation in batesville. He's very good, neat and very reasonable on price. He did my 30'x60' with 13' side walls and the roof joist for $5,100. Shops like a giant yeti cooler

pearlsnaps likes this.
  11. luckless

I know a guy that does insulation so I am going to have him spray it. Going to spray the walls and cellulose the ceiling.

12. luckless

Be ready for metal this weekend

[​IMG]

pearlsnaps, silentassassin and mk1848 like this.
  13. orangefeetdown

orangefeetdown Well-Known Member

NEA
    Man that looks great. I'm jealous.

luckless likes this.
  14. luckless

You find out who your real friends are when it comes to building a shop. Turns out I ain't got none.

I bet I have some come time to have a poker night out there tho.

15. cdgolden

cdgolden Well-Known Member

Agree with luckless's comment, i had alot if "help" at the end of a day. Basically alot of I'll help and i need a shop also. Needless to say, dad and i did everything except concrete. I really enjoyed that time together, kinda what i wanted!

16. luckless

My dad, in his late 50's has helped me more than anyone. If not for him I'd be far from where I am. He went to Miami last week for hurricane work and no telling when he'll get back so flying solo again.

17. luckless

Setting them 5x5 posts and hanging them rafters by myself wasn't fun. Hard to hold a 16' post, level it, measure it, and nail it.

whetstone likes this.
  18. outdoorjunkiebj

outdoorjunkiebj Well-Known Member

Fixed that for ya, i just figured that out bout 6 months ago while building my house, i only have huntin, fishin, and drankin acquaintances.

luckless likes this.
  19. outdoorjunkiebj

outdoorjunkiebj Well-Known Member

Oh yea, super jealous...... that barn is gonna be sweet!

luckless likes this.
  20. jpsimmons45

jpsimmons45 Well-Known Member

Yes sir!

luckless likes this.