30x30 Scope

Discussion in 'Guns, Ammunition, and Reloading' started by deltabowhunter, Dec 6, 2012.

1. deltabowhunter

deltabowhunter Well-Known Member

I believe I'm going to get a Vortex Crossfire 2 3x9-40 scope for my Marlin 30x30 lever action. I have never had to take one but I hunt some places where I could take some longer shots when I carry this gun. I'll probably never go past 200 yards with it out due to bullet drop. Do you think I would benefit at all with the BDC reticle or should I stick with the standard crosshairs? Those that have a scope with the extra marks for longer shots...do you ever actually use those?

2. Carr.45

Carr.45 Well-Known Member

I have never put a bdc type scope on a 30-30 but I can tell you first hand that a 30-30 has alot less drop than you think past 200. I think its around -3" at 300 yards. It can drop a deer in its tracks at 300. I have seen some good money won off 30-30 ballistics bets. :)

3. 42769vette

42769vette Forum Sponsor<br>A&A Optics<br>www.aaoptics.com

I have that scope in stock, and yes I would go with the bdc. Its a few extra bucks, It helps resale, And with a caliber like the 30 30 It will come in handy IF you should need to shoot further than you intend to.

4. jublain

jublain Well-Known Member

http://www.remington.com/en/pages/news-and-resources/ballistics.aspx

5. deltabowhunter

I believe the 30-30 has a drop of almost 30" instead of 3" at 300 yards. That's shooting a 150 grain Remington Corelokt. That is a LOT of drop.

6. swamphuntr

swamphuntr Well-Known Member

I agree, your going to have alot of drop.

7. Mr. Chitlin

Mr. Chitlin Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

NE Ark
    That's more in line with what Remington shows

3030.JPG

8. deltabowhunter

I went ahead and decided on the BDC style reticle. I hope this scope is as good as the binoculars I have from them. My wife got me a set of Vortex Diamondback 10x42 binoculars last year for Valentine's Day and they are AWESOME! Very high quality for the price and they have a transferable unconditional lifetime warranty. There's a member of another site I frequent who had his set tore up by a bear. They looked terrible. He shipped them to Vortex and Vortex shipped him a new pair no questions asked.

BTW, I emailed Vortex about the Crossfire II and the Diamondback scopes yesterday. Here is their response.

"Thanks for contacting Vortex Optics! Honestly the new Crossfire ll riflescopes are very similar to features and optic quality to the Diamondbacks. Actually the Crossfire ll will have longer eyerelief and a nicer eye box. Can’t go wrong with either. However if it will be going on a heavy recoiling rifle I would recommend the Diamondback."

9. mhr7

mhr7 Well-Known Member

Haha my 300 win mag has about 6" of drop at 300 yards, i guess i should be shootin a 30-30.

10. deltabowhunter

I love my 30-30. It is super light, not much recoil, and lever actions are just cool. I carry it as often as I can. Mine holds a special place in my heart though because it was my Grandpa's. It is probably older than my parents. He gave it to me for Christmas almost 20 years ago.

11. Mr. Chitlin

Mr. Chitlin Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

NE Ark
    My son and I have gone from the heavy recoil and muzzle blast of the magnums back to lever guns. They are light and compact for the places we mostly hunt, which is thick stuff in the Ozarks. My son carries a 30/30 and I carry a 35 Rem or 44 Mag Marlin. We have our bolt guns for late season field hunting but it's lever guns for the woods.

12. mhr7

mhr7 Well-Known Member

I love them aswell they are fun to shoot and great in the thickets and woods, however they are not my first choice for 300yard shots, refering to the -3" at 300 coment.

13. 42769vette

You wont be sorry, If i can ever help I would love a shot at your business.

I deal with alot of optics companies, and noone can match vortex's warranty or customer service.

14. mhr7

mhr7 Well-Known Member

I love my 35, having a hard time keeping myself from scoping it.

15. mhr7

mhr7 Well-Known Member

Ive always wondered it u could put a luepold QR base on a lever gun and still see your iron sights when your scope is off the gun.

16. deltabowhunter

I know they're not very popular anymore, but I always use the see through mounts. I like to be able to still shoot iron sights if I ever need/want to.

17. Ekspurt

Ekspurt Well-Known Member

The problem (for me, anyway) with see through mounts is that you have to lift you cheek off of the stock to see through the scope. That's fine if you want to use the iron sight as a primary sighting system and the scope as a back up. If you're like most of us and want the reverse that order, I'd look for a set of those back-up iron sights that mount onto your scope tube.

18. Carr.45

Carr.45 Well-Known Member

Well I made myself look like an idiot pretty well... I had an argument with myself about weather or not to post that with out double checking my info on the drop. I knew 3" didn't sound right but I was also sure that's about what it was with a 25yrd zero.

I will stand behind the ability to kill a deer at 300 though. I have seen that with my own eyes.

19. 42769vette

absolutly

20. mhr7

mhr7 Well-Known Member

Yep it will kill em dead, just aim a lil high.