308win

Discussion in 'Guns, Ammunition, and Reloading' started by dnk9444, Dec 25, 2010.

1. dnk9444

dnk9444 Active Member

I'm looking to try a new load for deer in my 308. I'm looking at trying either the 150sst or 150interbond. Anyone tried these on deer. I would appreciate any input. Been shooting 165bt at 2850 and they've done ok but, I get a larger entrance than exit hole with a minimal blood trail. I recovered one bullet and it weighed 116gr but looked like you just cut the front one third off thje bullet. It wasn't much mushrom to it. Barely larger than caliber diamiter. So, that's why I'm looking at a change

2. WackinNstackin

WackinNstackin Well-Known Member

I use the 150 SST in my 308 and never had a problem. I prefer them to the Ballistic Tips. In my 25-06 they seem to hold together better. I've found some of the 115 BTs in deer I've shot, but have had all the 117 SSTs go completely through. Deer was just as dead with both, but I like em to go on through.

3. dirtdart

dirtdart Well-Known Member

I shoot more 150gr Bullets through my .308's than anything. Don't understand the SST or plastic bullet fascination with folks.

If you want to try something that will just stop them where they stand just get any Speer Hor-Cor, Sierra Pro-Hunter, Remington Col-Lokt, or Winchester Power Point in 150gr.

Next step is to work up a load with the 150's working up to 49gr's or so of R-15 Powder and never worry about it again.

Very accurate powder and bullet combination and it simply takes them down quick. I've honestly never had one take another step with the combination.

4. jwalker

jwalker Well-Known Member

Winchester power max 150's are the deer/coyote/anything killers

5. 1cam

1cam Well-Known Member

Higher BC = flatter trajectory. Just because you don't like them doesn't mean that someone else doesn't. I'd guess that you don't see a lot of Cor-Lokt's or Power Points on the 1000 yard lines and there's probably a reason for it. Some people just may like a little more accurate bullet with a flatter trajectory. And yea, we've already heard about your 1/2 " groups at 300 yards with open sights on your 7x57 using CL bullets, so you can spare us the boring details again. :rolleyes:

Kind of the Ford/Chevy debate. If we all liked the same bullet or truck it would be a boring world.

6. demented

demented Well-Known Member

I've yet to see any soft point bullet 150 gr or heavier that had any problem with Arkansas deer to 300-350 yards. I find a load that shoots accurately and never worry what its gonna do on the receiving end.

7. dirtdart

Yep....how many paper targets get up and run off from you at a 1000yds there smarty?:smack:

8. dirtdart

DNK9444

Sorry......thought your post was intended to find another load to replace your ballistic tips...were looking at the SST's or Interbond. You posted that your present bullets had only a 70% weight retention. Well....I guess you're gonna have to go out and do your own testing to find something that will give you some solid wound channels and if you can find a bullet to recover...some good weight retention.

The bullets you mentioned trying are the same type of construction you are shooting now. Actually you may be shooting a better bullet now. Accubonds are a little expensive and sst's (Super Shock Tip= BIG CLUE) are gonna give you similar results.

Maybe you can just send IM's to people who can mention ballistic coefficient but can't tell you the first thing about it. It isn't ballistic coefficient that kills animals...it's sectional density. You can kill the crap out of paper....but I guess if you believe that flatter trajectory kills....stick with the 70% weight retention you have now....and do a check of weight retention vs. sectional density.

And somebody can do us a favor by not posting more ballistic coefficient nonsense when a question is asked about correcting minimal blood trail and weight retention.

9. Damascus-Doug

Damascus-Doug Well-Known Member

We having a bad day? :head:

10. Damascus-Doug

Damascus-Doug Well-Known Member

I really like the 165 grain Sierra Game King. I have killed several types of animals with it and have had very good results. I have also shot several animals with the 175 grain Sierra Match King and have had very good results. (Yes I know Sierra doesn't recommend them for hunting). My 308 loves the 165 and 175 grain bullets. You can even shoot long distance with them with confidence once you practice at long distances. I have not shot any of the plastic tip bullets in my 308 as I don't want the same type of bullet fragmentation that I get out of my 243 shooting V-max bullets. I know that they are different but I think the principal is the same. I personally do not want my bullet going to pieces upon impact.

11. 1cam

1cam Well-Known Member

You stated:

I answered higher BC = Flatter trajectory. True statement.

You also said:

Nothing was said about sectional density, because any genius with a general knowledge about bullets should already know that ALL 30 cal 150 grain bullets will have a SD of .226, which should theoretically mean they all have the same killing power. There again, some people choose a higher ballistic coefficient bullet for the flatter trajectory and more streamlined profile to give more velocity (which equates to more energy) at extended ranges. More energy means that the same SD will have better penetration. Check your BC of a 150 grain RN to a 150 grain SST and see which one has more ENERGY and FLATTER TRAJECTORY at 300 yards when both start off at 2900 fps. That's where the higher BC will make a difference and put better use to the SD you speak so highly of to more efficiently kill animals.

12. jwalker

jwalker Well-Known Member

Just get u some 150 gr power max winchesters and be done it ain't rocket science killing a deer !! Do u carry a spotter around with u to call out your values gimme a break !!

13. 1cam

1cam Well-Known Member

Well dirtdart, I happened to copy your comment that you have now deleted last night to reply to this morning. At 1:05 AM I didn't want to continue the conversation.

You asked:

I guess you looked up the info AFTER you made you comment and decided you were wrong after all.

Yes, the sectional density of ALL 30 caliber 150 grain bullets is .226. Round nose, flat point, SST, Ballistic Tip, TSX, ALL of them. BC is different but SD is the same. Look on any bullet makers web site: Nosler, Speer, Hornady, Barnes, etc and find the info yourself.

(Inappropiate comment/Personal attack deleted) There are a few people on this board besides you that have put a round or 2 down range. Accept the fact that others know a little about ballistics and how bullets fly and perform.

I will agree that you have a knowledge about shooting and reloading, but there are lots of others on here that can give helpful advice without talking down to others about their choice of bullets or calibers.

I noticed you didn't rebuke my statements about SD being the same and BC affecting downrange energy.

(Inappropiate comment deleted) There's an old saying, you learn a lot more from listening that from talking. Maybe you need to heed some of that advice. :wink:

Maybe you have proven that your job is done here. :fit:

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 30, 2010
  14. dirtdart

Well....wasn't gonna get into the ballistics of it.....bullet companies just use a standard formula for the published SD's.

That formula just takes into account the average length of a bullet times it's density. The final factor is determined by construction and shape. We use to publish this on tested bullets at Aberdeen...I'm sure it's still done.

We all know that jacketed lead bullets have differing thickness of jackets. In order to get 150gr's in a thicker jacket the overall length of the bullet changes. Much like the overall length of a solid copper bullet has to be much longer than a jacketed lead bullet. So the sectional density changes.

Factories may still stamp the standard sectional density on the box because it's the SAAMI standard. So the statement you made about them all being the same is wrong...mathamatically impossible...but it's an industry rubber stamp. That's the reason for me deleting the post. I was done.

I'm not trying to belittle or berate anyone. This was my job for years. And your statement about BC and downrange energy was just a generalization. Newton's laws will always apply.

If you strike an object with increased velocity it will be met with equal resistance. It's like someone generalizing by saying that you will go deeper into the water if you jump from 10,000feet than you will if you jump from 10feet. We know what will happen if you enter water from 10,000feet. The resistance is compounded to a point so great you may think you hit concrete rather than water and you won't go as deep into the water as you would from 10feet.

That is sort of what happens to bullets. Sure give it a higher BC so it will impact at a much higher velocity but if that bullet is not designed to withstand the resistance of the target at the impact velocity then the energy is lost more rapidly.

Just putting this out there....we found that round nose bullets driven at the same impact velocities were more effective and drove through ballistic gell with better efficiency. Problem was shape of ogive was not forgiving to full value and half value winds.

My time at the Army Research Lab made me more than qualified to answer questions about bullets and their effects on targets than most on here. Post count has nothing to do with it. Maybe you should listen to "old sayings" because that would be about the best advice I could give you.

I was willing to let this go...withdraw my post. But maybe it will force people to get out their dial calipers and texas instruments and do some math. They'll figure it out for themselves. Start with a .308 150gr. Barnes Bullet and a .308 150gr. Round Nose Sierra. Tell me what you get.

15. dirtdart

Oh! And tell me then what genius it takes to figure out sectional density.

16. truck24hr

truck24hr Super Member<br>2014-15 Bow Hunting Contest Winner

Alma
    I'm with D-D on this, the 165 Sierra GK is the best 308 bullet for whitetail sizes animals, IMO.

17. MtIda

MtIda Well-Known Member

LR
    Beware of anybody who shoots a 257 Roberts. He may know of what he speaks.

18. Wapiti

Wapiti Well-Known Member

165gr Inerlocks or 165gr Sierrs HPBT really sing a sweet tune in the .308

19. WillyB71

WillyB71 Well-Known Member

I understand how sectional denstity and ballistic coefficient effects bullet performance, but if we are talking about using 150 gr game bullets in .308 Win on Arkansas whitetails, I think it all becomes pedantic wisdom anyway.

I guess I have killed 50 or so Arkansas deer with a .308 Win using 130s, 150s, 165s, 168s, & 180s made by about a dozen bullet makers. Velocities were medium to high for that cartridge, but if I shot them where I was supposed to, it killed them graveyard dead every time.

There's enough margin of error in that cartridge that almost any reasonable combination will be very effective.

Now if we are talking elk or moose, that's a different story. While I have never killed either of those animals, I would be much more bullet picky shooting a 750-1500 lb animal with my .308 Win.