Arkansas Hunting banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Super Member<br>2010 Deer Hunting Contest Winner
1,937 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Bought my son a .308 single shot. Trying to find something other than standard 150gr. Most shots will be 50yrds or less. Can't seem to find the lighter loads around Hot Springs.

·
Registered
4,328 Posts
camron,

Wish I was in the states right now because I would fix you right up. I have a full MTM box of the old 135gr. single shot pistol bullet loaded in Lake City National Match brass for a 308. I loaded a hundred of them for my son about ten years back and he only used about twenty of the first fifty. My nephew has used about ten out of the same box. There's been about five whitetail's taken out of the first box and not a single one ever took a step after the shot. The buck the nephew shot two years ago was shot at nearly 80 yards and the bullet passed through inch and a half exhaust pipe that was used as legs on an elevated feeder. Last years buck was a nice ten point that was just flattened. I think when I loaded them they were chrono'ed at 2750fps. Both of the young fellers decided that they wanted something different to shoot so the bullets are just sitting around the house. I may just have to use the things myself. They're about like shooting 75grainers out of a 243. Real nice.

Just go to your local wal-mart and special order some .308 Win's in 125 gr. spire points. You don't have to worry about spending the extra few cents to get reduced recoil rounds if you shoot 125's. I loaded mine using old .300 savage data out of a Speer #7 load book and they're just awesome.

Try the 125's. I think you'll like them.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.