Arkansas Hunting banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Select Member<br>2014-2015 Deer Hunting Contest W
4,210 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My 10 year old grandson has started shooting the managed recoil ammo in .308, and shoots pretty well with it. I'd like to load some ammo for him. Can anyone recommend a possible load combination (bullet weight and powder charge) for him to deer hunt with? The managed recoil ammo advertises a 50% reduction in recoil.

·
Select Member<br>2015-16 Bow Hunting Contest Winne
5,314 Posts
My daughter was shooting the hornady light (125gr Sst)...no exit....bullet was coming apart in it....so do not suggest them...

I just let my kids play with light loads.....then slip in a full round on hunt day.....they never know

·
Banned
20,810 Posts
As far as factory loads.... Your choices are limited.

If your reloading.... You do a lot of different things.
Pick a manual, look at velocities and load a few to see why ya get.

I'd pick a round nose 150 gr bullet designed for 30-30, get the velocities in the range of what a 30-30 shoots and keep him at a reasonable shooting distance.

·
Registered
12,281 Posts
My 10 year old grandson has started shooting the managed recoil ammo in .308, and shoots pretty well with it. I'd like to load some ammo for him. Can anyone recommend a possible load combination (bullet weight and powder charge) for him to deer hunt with? The managed recoil ammo advertises a 50% reduction in recoil.
I would try the Sierra 125gr pro hunter #2120. At Low to medium velocity, Sierra says it's excellent for med. game (deer) Low recoil, hunting bullet. At fast velocities, it is intended for varmints.

As far as powder & loads.....try imr4064, imr4320, RL15, imr4895, to name a few. Stay on the lower end of the velocities. Probably 2,700-2,800 muzzle velocity would be ideal.

·
Registered
3,307 Posts
Look for energy (ft-lbs) equaling a .243. I loaded some for a friend's son with 110 gr PSP bullets that anchored deer for them out to 150 yards. I don't remember the powder/charge info, but it was actually on the low side for a 308. Forget the velocity, if you get the energy right, it'll be a good load.

·
Registered
19 Posts
My son is 7. killed 2 deer and a hog this year with my 308. It is a custom gun with a Full Bull barrel. I load 165 gr accubonds with 43.5 imr 4895. If your gun is not a heavy barrel I would start with 150 accubonds at 42 grains of imr 4895 2700fps ish.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.