308 help

Discussion in 'Guns, Ammunition, and Reloading' started by Passthrough, Dec 5, 2012.

1. Passthrough

Passthrough Account Suspended

I am looking to buy a bolt action 308. Nothing super fancy, just another deer rifle that will get shot a few times a year at best. I have been looking at the following guns:

- Weatherby Vanguard S2
    - Thompson center venture
    - Remington 700 SPS
    - Browning A-Bolt stalker

These guns are all in the $450-$550 range on Buds. Hard not to get a Remington 700 becuase of the great reputation, but I raelly like the looks and feel of the others.

Any suggestions? Reasons I should avoid any of these guns? The only one I have shot is the Waetherby. I know the Vanguard is their lower line but the S2 really looks sharp and felt like a solid rifle.

Thanks in advance.

2. buck n duck

buck n duck Super Member<br>2012 Turkey Hunting Contest Winner

I have a Remington 700 SPS tactical that I really like. But out of the list you have I would go with the Browning A-Bolt, you might also want to look at the Tikka T3-lite.

3. MrPunem

MrPunem Well-Known Member

Ruger american got one at the beginning of season, for the price it can't be beat, Walmart had them for $357

4. Passthrough

I have a ruger american in 30.06. So far so good but Im really wanting one of the ones listed above.

5. alexanderg23

alexanderg23 Well-Known Member

NWA
    I like the Remington 700

6. poke_53

poke_53 Well-Known Member

Its not on your list but if I were you I would look into the Tikka T3. Great/smooth action. Great barrel. Great value for the price in a hunting rig.

7. Mr. Chitlin

Mr. Chitlin Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

NE Ark
    I have a 300 Win Mag in an A Bolt and the A Bolt is a smooth operator. Any of them will do the job though.

8. Adog

Adog Well-Known Member

Marlin XS7
    Just started hunting with it this year, totally love it. The fit and feel is way better than a remington 700, imo.

9. Passthrough

Can you bottom load that gun? I dont want anything that is top load only

10. MountainBuck

MountainBuck Well-Known Member

I would also opt for the Tikka T3, Have a remington 700, A bolt and Tikka, I think The action is better on the Tikka, really smooth. The Tikka is my gun of choice of the bolt actions I own.

11. Adog

Adog Well-Known Member

It is top load only, the one and only thing I don't like about it.

12. factory909

factory909 Well-Known Member

x2.

13. buske475

buske475 Well-Known Member

I also have the ruger and love it it has the 4 round rotery mag shoots great too shoots just as well as there scout rifle i also have

14. I doubt you could go wrong with any of them. I have a vanguard (non s2) in .308 and love it

15. mwells72774

mwells72774 Well-Known Member

might look into a savage hunter series rifle. they're awesome and IMO better than a remington 700

another good option would be a remington 788. there's one at a local pawn shot for $300. got one in 22-250 and LOVE it. smooth as butter

16. Hudge

Hudge Well-Known Member

I am having problem with my newest 700, so I am shying away from them now. I second the Tikka or Savage XP.

17. CBD

CBD Well-Known Member

I have the Browning Stalker in .308 and it is my favorite rifle. Very accurate, good action with the 60 degree bolt, good synthetic stock, and feels really good. I have rifles that are much more expensive but I don't know that they're any better. It is the one I have used over all others the last several years.

18. miketyson26

miketyson26 Well-Known Member Lifetime Supporter

Ruger...

I'm with the Ruger guys too. Don't overlook them. I don't have any experience with the new Ruger American rifle but I have a Ruger M77, Hawkeye All Weather in .308 Win and I absolutely love it. You can shoot a heavier round if you want to and the .308 ballistics are good. Plus I have no problem hunting downpour rain with my Ruger. That Ruger with a Nikon scope is more accurate then the guy shooting it will ever be.

RUGER!!! :thumb: :thumb: :thumb:

Miketyson26 :flag: