Arkansas Hunting banner

308 vs 3006

1 - 20 of 48 Posts

·
Registered
16,158 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I sure thought I`ve seen this on here before but the search didn`t show much as comparison. In the near future I will be looking for another rifle, 308 or a 3006. If you only had 1 to hunt north American game, from big elk to little Florida whitetail, no moose.
So lets "poll" this for a week and see the best OF THE TWO.
Which would be your pick?

·
Registered
1,742 Posts
I'm very partial to the 30-06 myself. But the truth is that with the technology of today's propellants, a .308 will do just aaaaaalmost anything a 30-06 can do. It will just do it about 100fps slower in most (but not all) cases, which is for most practical purposes a negligible difference. But I still go with the 30-06 for two reasons: 1) That 100fps can potentially make a difference in downrange stability/accuracy, especially with heavier/longer bullets, and 2) I don't really see where there is much to be gained in using a .308 over a .30-06. The exception to that might be that the .308 has a shorter action which really doesn't offer much real-world advantage in a hunting situation, except maybe the potential of feeding more reliably in semi-autos.
So, they're basically equal and nothing we will say here is going to change that.

·
Premium Member
18,026 Posts
Not a single critter you ever shoot with either will know the difference.

A few ballistic advantages to the "06 but again, no animal is ever gonna know the difference so pick what you like.

·
Registered
373 Posts
I love 308, I Honestly don’t know how many whitetail I have killed with one. For me an elk hunt would be a very rare treat and I would choose something with more hp, 300 win or prc, 7 mag or 28 nosler….. life is short don’t limit your caliber’s to just a couple 😄

·
Registered
10,427 Posts
I’m on the same fence.

308- shorter action, lighter rifles, less recoil, tons of factory ammo options on the shelf. Shoots a wide variety of ammo from 130gr up to 180gr. With the shorter case they can shoot accurately out of an 18” barrel.

30-06. longer action, heavier rifles, a touch more umph behind it. You can shoot 150gr up to 200gr bullets. Not as easy to find ammo right now but it’s there if you look around.

Ballisticly speaking they’re twins. 308 just uses less powder to get the job done. The 30-06 is a proven do all caliber.

If i loaded my own ammo I’d get the .308 and a .35 whelen for when you wanted a heavy punch. But i don’t reload so I’m leaning toward the 06.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Either will do the job as long as the bullet is delivered accurately. I hunt with a .308 but have friends that swear by 30-06. ‘06 does have an advantage with extra heavy bullets if needed, but no rhinos or buffalo in Arkansas.

1 - 20 of 48 Posts