Arkansas Hunting banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anybody have any advice or pros/cons for the 300wsm vs the 300win mag?
The reason im asking is cuz i was going to get a Tikka or a Sako in a 300 win mag but do to the Sako plant rejecting the last order of steel they got there will be no new rifles being shipped until next year.:banghead: I can get a tikka or a sako in the short mag but i just dont know much about em :head:eek:r load up a ruger 300 win mag.

·
Registered
828 Posts
I have a browning A bolt 300wsm and a 300 win mag ruger....i wouldnt give you the browning for five rugers, but thats beside the point....There really isnt that much difference between the two loads...as far as fps and ft lb of energy....however ive found the short mag shells are a little more expensive...but on the upside...the bolt on the short mag is MUCH shorter...henses alot quicker reloads... but there very close to the same...300wsm is suppose to be a little faster and flatter....but not by much...at all...you wont be dissapointed with either...hope this helps...oh and you might check out browning if you havent already...you only have to turn the bolt handle a fraction to discharge the hull...its pretty sweet....and they have a new x bolt i dont know much about.

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
i shoot the 300 win mag and shot 2 bucks and dropped them in their tracks. no tracking needed :clap:
I have always shot the win mag also and your right no tracking at all!!!!:thumb: I was curious if the short mag would do the same cuz i sure do like knowing where they lay at instead of having to look for em!!!!!:cool:

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I have a browning A bolt 300wsm and a 300 win mag ruger....i wouldnt give you the browning for five rugers, but thats beside the point....There really isnt that much difference between the two loads...as far as fps and ft lb of energy....however ive found the short mag shells are a little more expensive...but on the upside...the bolt on the short mag is MUCH shorter...henses alot quicker reloads... but there very close to the same...300wsm is suppose to be a little faster and flatter....but not by much...at all...you wont be dissapointed with either...hope this helps...oh and you might check out browning if you havent already...you only have to turn the bolt handle a fraction to discharge the hull...its pretty sweet....and they have a new x bolt i dont know much about.
Do you get the same results when shooting a deer with the short mag?

·
Registered
828 Posts
its the exact same bullet...all they did was take the 300 caseing and shortined it considerably....the powder is super compacted...everything is the same...i killed one on video last year in a clearcut....on shooting sticks that me and my buddys guess its close to 500 yards and droped it in its tracks....:eek: just sayin i wouldnt steer you wrong...both are good.

·
Registered
476 Posts
i love my a bolt 300wsm. on the elk I shot, it took 2 steps before it dropped, but I think it lost its balance on the hill. The 2 deer didn't move. Got it last year and loving it. Hope it brings me the same results in 15 days when I am in NM looking for another elk.

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thats awesome i always shot the 180 grain power points through my win mag. and loved it!!!! I will check out the brownings tommarow :up:
Thanks a bunch!!! and good luck this fall:thumb:

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
i love my a bolt 300wsm. on the elk I shot, it took 2 steps before it dropped, but I think it lost its balance on the hill. The 2 deer didn't move. Got it last year and loving it. Hope it brings me the same results in 15 days when I am in NM looking for another elk.
I'm gonna go ahead and request photos from your trip when you get back!:up:

·
Registered
2,694 Posts
Why such a big gun for Arkansas? A 30.06 with 150 grain core locs will do for anything here. Besides being way cheaper , gun and ammo. It will take out deer just fine. More important is shot placement, a big gun can't make yp for poor shooting. Just my 2 cents.:wink:

·
Registered
3,160 Posts
I have shot the 300 WM for deer and elk. I hand load, so for deer I use a 165 gr bullet Hornady Spire Point using IMR 4064 loaded "down" to about 30-06 velocity. I can get 1 inch groups with this load and it is mild to shoot. For elk I use a 180 gr Nosler Partition Point loaded with IMR4831 that gives me about 3100 FPS at the muzzle. This has proven to be deadly on elk dropping them in their tracks. The reason I went with the 300 WM was that I wanted a caliber that I could hunt all North American game from antelope to grizzly without feeling under gunned. Of course they did no have the 300 WSM back when I got my rifle so I don't know anything about that caliber. My first 300 was a Ruger model 77 that I just never could shoot real tight groups. I traded it in for a Weatherby Vanguard and the Weatherby has never disappointed me.

·
Administrator
89,107 Posts
Do you get the same results when shooting a deer with the short mag?
A 180 grain bullet at 3000 fps hits the same from a 300 Win Mag as it does from a 300 Short Mag.

It seems that every company wants to reinvent the wheel. Most of these cartridges achieve the same results as the ones they are trying to replace. For some reason, I like the tried and proven rounds. Most any mom and pop gun store will carry most of the popular hunting rounds. 243, 270, 308, 30/06, 300 Win Mag, etc. Go into a lot of them looking for some of the Ultra Mags, Short Mags, etc and you might get the deer in the head lights look.

Hey, whatever works for you is all that matters. If you are looking for a reason to buy another gun, we are here to support you!!

·
Administrator
89,107 Posts
Why such a big gun for Arkansas? A 30.06 with 150 grain core locs will do for anything here. Besides being way cheaper , gun and ammo. It will take out deer just fine. More important is shot placement, a big gun can't make yp for poor shooting. Just my 2 cents.:wink:
Same reason a guy will buy a Corvette when the speed limit is 70 MPH in the interstate and 55 on the 2 lanes.

Cuz we CAN!! I still ain't seen a deer that was too dead because he was shot with a Magnum instead of a standard round.

·
Registered
3,153 Posts
I have a Winchester Model 70 in 300 WSM and absolutely love it. The cartridges are pretty close in performance with the WSM edging out the 300 Win Mag in velocity and energy. There's not enough of a difference to matter in my opinion though. I shoot 150 gr Ballistic Silvertips and they absolutely devastate the inside of a deer. I bow hunt most of the time even in rifle season but the one 8 pt I killed with the 300 WSM dropped dead in it's tracks.

·
Registered
410 Posts
I have a ruger 300wsm. Shoots tight groups with 150 gr winchester ballistic silver tips. Killed a couple of hogs with them. Punched holes straight through, no expansion, no blood. Switching to my old friend, remington core-lok pointed soft points. If you don't make the good drop'em in their tracks shot you'll have a blood trail to follow. Core-lok's don't cost ya an arm and leg either and do a good job.

·
Registered
828 Posts
yea you just have to experiment and see what groups the best out of your gun...ive never really been a federal man, but its hard to argue the groups i get...there about fifty bucks tho...but you can get remington core locks for about 20...federal fusions are cheap and shot good for me...i cant remember anything ever running off...this gun is definately expensive to experiment:rolleyes:

·
Registered
49 Posts
My Tikka T3 stainless in 300 winchester magnum just arrived Friday. I shot a box of shells through it this weekend, and let me tell you, that thing will rattle your teeth (Have a limbsaver on order to help with the punch). It only weighs a little over 6lbs.--however, it is the sweetest shooting gun.... the action is butter slick, and the groups are impressive. I believe Tikka has a sub moa guarantee... but, the reason I went with the Winchester Mag, is you have more bullet choices.. at least for now you do..

·
Registered
1,972 Posts
I have a Remington 300 SAUM (Short Action Ultra Mag) and I love it. Man will it drop a deer. The one thing I don't like about it is trying to find ammo. Like mentioned earlier, you can't just go into any Wal Mart and find the ammo. Otherwise, I am a huge advocate for it!

1 - 20 of 30 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.