Arkansas Hunting banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
181 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I think the caliber is good to go for all three but looking to confirm. I’ve never hunted pigs or coyotes but want to give it a go; have only hunted deer with 7mm Rem Mag. I also have an AR10 so can go 308 but would prefer to use the 300blk if possible.

Note: in the case of pigs, I think I’d more often shoot the 308 but still curious.

I understand the concept of ‘it’s up to the shooter’ viewpoints. Let’s say I’m a pretty good shooter but don’t get to the range much. Might need a little ‘insurance’ when shooting the fast-moving pigs.

·
Registered
1,380 Posts
I think the caliber is good to go for all three but looking to confirm. I’ve never hunted pigs or coyotes but want to give it a go; have only hunted deer with 7mm Rem Mag. I also have an AR10 so can go 308 but would prefer to use the 300blk if possible.

Note: in the case of pigs, I think I’d more often shoot the 308 but still curious.

I understand the concept of ‘it’s up to the shooter’ viewpoints. Let’s say I’m a pretty good shooter but don’t get to the range much. Might need a little ‘insurance’ when shooting the fast-moving pigs.
Have you already bought the 300BLK? Are you planning on shooting it suppressed?

·
Premium Member
29,734 Posts
I carry a .300 BO with me on my ranger most of the time. I have killed a lot of pigs with it - up to just over 200 lbs. I have not killed a deer with it, but would not hesitate to shoot one out to 150 yards - which I consider pretty close to maximum range. Would not buy one specifically for coyotes - but no doubt, it will handle them too. The best coyote bullet is probably not your best hog bullet. The .308 is a ballistically superior - but I am not a big fan of the AR 10 platform. With the 300 BO - just use it within the limits of the cartridge and you will be fine.

I agree - the 6.8 or 6.5 grendel has better ballistics. But I still carry my .300 bo more. I have a grendel - and carry it specifically for deer. One thing about the 300 - ammo is much more available and generally less expensive

·
Registered
1,680 Posts
I would say you’d probably find it more suitable for deer and hogs than coyotes, but my terribly uneducated opinion is that the 6.5 Grendel is probably better suited than all three.
I’m sure there are others chamberings that should be in the discussion, but those are the common AR-platform rounds that I have experience with.
My youngest has killed deer with my 300. And plenty of people have killed pigs with them. But you’re pretty much limited to big, long, slow bullets, or really short and light ones.

Completely unrelated side note- I just saw your name and I think I bought a LH SBE from you many moons ago? If so, it’s still running strong.

·
Registered
737 Posts
It is a neat little round, but we have gotten away from using it, just not enough power for me... we killed quite a few deer & hogs with it but as soon as my kids were big enough I moved them to a 308.

Nothing against it, I think there are just better rounds out there, Id take a really accurate 223 over a 300 BLK any day for critter shooting.

·
Registered
Primary: thermal equipped, suppressed, .300 AAC; Secondary: Glock 29SF 10mm
50 Posts
Personally, I've killed hundreds of hogs with a suppressed .300 BLK and I've killed deer with it too. For the coyotes, it'll get the job done but it's not going to have the distance most folks prefer for coyotes. If you'll only be hunting in wooded areas or know you'll have close shots I'd say go for it. It's a great round that has always performed well for my setup, but I will say, if you don't plan on suppressing it I wouldn't purchase it. Your .308 is far superior to the .300 BLK for all three of the animals you listed if there won't be a can involved.

·
Registered
494 Posts
My daughter killed her first deer this year with a 300 blk. shot was about 40 yards and the deer went down in sight. Ballistic tip bullet I believe. Plenty of knockdown for a deer.

·
Registered
125 Posts
Been hunting deer with .300 BLK for several years now. Have yet to lose a deer. My 6 yo son took his first deer last year with one. I hand load 125gr Barnes TTSX for hunting, and the cheapest bullets I can find for range fodder.

As stated above, it is not an ideal cartridge for longer shots, but where we hunt, the longest shot would not be over 75 yds. The woods/brush is just too thick for any longer shots.

·
Registered
AR-14, cal.50 BMG, Semi fully-auto, 100 round clipizines, explosive bullets
530 Posts
300 BO will work fine for everything you mentioned within its range limitations. I’ve killed large bucks with both supersonic and subsonic 300 BO and had excellent results with both. Some will say that it basically just bounces off of them and that’s just untrue.

·
Premium Member
29,734 Posts
300 BO will work fine for everything you mentioned within its range limitations. I’ve killed large bucks with both supersonic and subsonic 300 BO and had excellent results with both. Some will say that it basically just bounces off of them and that’s just untrue.
When we were hunting in Africa one time, the guide told us about growing up on the family ranch (180,000 acres) and they culled the wildebeests so the cattle had more water. He said he would head shoot them with a suppressed .44 mag rifle. Said he could hear the bullet impact the skull. Shoot those in the back of the herd first and work towards those up drinking. That way, it wouldnt scare them all at once

·
Registered
31 Posts
I have grown to really like my 300 BLK (Bolt action Ruger Ranch-suppressed, w/ thermal sight). I don't hunt deer anymore, but wouldn't hesitate to use it within its range, which I figure is about 150 yds. I use it for hogs mainly, at night, and most shots at my place will be within 150 yds, usually 50 to 100. I figure that it will take anything within that range that I need to shoot.
Although I have some 190 grain subsonic loads, I hesitate to use them because of the bullet trajectory, and I may see hogs anywhere between 30 and 150 yards. I tend to stick with supersonic loads with 110 or 125 grain rapidly expanding bullets. I load my own since most loaded ammo that I see in stores do not have good bullets for hunting.

·
Registered
31 Posts
As far as shooting moving pigs, a gut shot with a 300 BLK won't be much different than a gut shot with a 308.
I have learned that you have to match the bullet to the velocity at the point of impact. Many hunting bullets have a design that requires a certain velocity to expand properly. A good bullet in a 308 or 3006 probably won't give the same performance in a 300 BLK going at slower speeds. I am shooting a varmint bullet and concentrate on head or neck shots. Obviously, with a bolt action, I'm not doing the "spray and pray" method of shooting hogs.

·
Registered
13 Posts

I use 300 AAC for hogs in Texas. It gets the job done. Haven't hunted deer with it, but the hogs I shot weighed more than the deer.

·
Registered
17,570 Posts
Everyone knows what I'm fixing to say. They are not well suited for anything you mentioned. They will kill all three though. If it's what you want then get one. If you want real advice, get the Grendel.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts