Arkansas Hunting banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,600 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am in need of information. I found a great buy for a 300 weatherby magnum rifle. However, I know nothing about this caliber. Is the weatherby magnum rifle ammo specific (ie- weatherby ammo only)? I have general ballistics on the 300 rem mag and the 300 win magnum- are they close to the same? Thank you for any information you can provide.
Sportsmanetc

·
Registered
663 Posts
I am in need of information. I found a great buy for a 300 weatherby magnum rifle. However, I know nothing about this caliber. Is the weatherby magnum rifle ammo specific (ie- weatherby ammo only)? I have general ballistics on the 300 rem mag and the 300 win magnum- are they close to the same? Thank you for any information you can provide.
Sportsmanetc
The Weatherby 300 mag will only shoot weatherby ammo---EXPENSIVE!
The Weatherby 300 has a little more power than the winchester 300 mag, I believe.

·
Administrator
87,241 Posts
If you reload, you can buy the brass for ~65 cents each. The rest of the cost of reloading isn't that much more than loading any other likesize caliber. If you have to buy factory ammo, you might want to think again. Also, like was stated above, unless the barrel is at least 26", you won't hardly see any improvement over the 300 Win Mag.

·
Registered
1,597 Posts
A better ballistics nut can give you more percise info, but the 300 Win. mag is not even in the same league as the 300 Weatherby Mag. 300 Rem ULTRA mag comes close on performance, but really needs to be reloaded to reach the energy and foot pound performance. I have a custom 300 ULTRA and do not reload. I wish it was a 300 Weatherby.

Remington makes a factory load for the 300 Weatherby its a Core-Lokt 180 grain bullet. I know Federal loads a factory load for the 300 Weatherby. They are all 180 grain bullets, and come in a Barnes Triple Shock X Bullet, Nosler Partition, and Trophy Bonded Tip. Winchester to my knowledge does not make a Factory load for it, but there are other options BESIDES just Weatherby Factory Ammo

I think some of your hard to find stuff like Norma and Hornady made factory loads for the 300 Weatherby as well.

If you are gonna have a Weatherby caliber and you are not going to handload it really does you no good to use any other ammo than Weatherby.
Compare each manufacturer with their ballisitc chart to a Weatherby Chart.

I just read other posts. Where have you seen a 300 Weatherby magnum with less than a 26 inch barrel?? What has been stated above is true. If the gun has less then a 26 inch tube than its a waste of money period.

Well I'll be Weatherby makes their Vanguard (which it sounds like this gun is) with a 24 inch barrel. Guess you learn something everyday!!!

·
Registered
9,846 Posts
I have a .300 Weatherby and if you'll just look at the balistics charts you'll see that this is one more bad a** caliber. However, the ammo prices are something to consider unless you're like me...I bought 3 boxes of ammo in 1998 when I bought the rifle and still have 2 boxes left. I bought it for an elk hunt in Colorado that never materialized, so I've never really used it. But it is pretty darn cool to look in my gun cabinet and see that bad boy in there. :thumb:

For the price you stated I'd say you can't afford NOT to buy it. If nothing else you can probably sell it and make some money with it. :cool:

.270Win

·
Registered
1,600 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks guys. I do not believe it had a 26 inch barrel. It is a vangaurd in synthetic. The guy at Wal-mart said they have had it in stock for quite awhile and reduced the price to get rid of it. I do not reload, so the ammo cost is a big factor and I never have any luck at turning a profit on a quick turnover. As always, you have been a big help.
Sportsmanetc

·
Registered
11,281 Posts
I bought one like you are talking about at wal-mart several years ago for 300
I use it for my field deer rifle. It doesn't kick much and shoots good. I've shot at 3 deer with it anddidn't have to track any of them. Ammo is high. Nosler loads for it as does weatherby, federal,Remington , and Hornady, I think Norma does too. It is a great rifle and smoking hot round.

·
Registered
4,328 Posts
I love the 300 Weatherby. I bought two in one day in Texas at a walmart that was nearly giving them away. Mine is a Mark V Custom Deluxe and it is an accurate son-of-a-gun.

I reload and you can do neat things with the cartridge. I bought 200 Remington Nickel Plated cases off ebay back in 04 real cheap. My little fancy looking California Rifle will smoke a 165gr Sierra but my favorite is the 180gr. Speer Grand Slam bullet. Nothing like it. Sold my 300Win.Mag and later My 338 Win.Mag because the 300WBY does it all.

I don't know if they still do...but back in the day Weatherby used to have their ammunition made by Norma using Weatherby Headstamped Norma brass. I love the Weatherby/Norma brass it's just more expensive than Remington. My Mark V has a light coutour barrel but still shoots sub 1" groups every time it's taken to a range. Thanks mostly to the Weatherby double-radius case design. Just an awesome round.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.