300 weatherby mag, reload anybody?

Discussion in 'Guns, Ammunition, and Reloading' started by AR_deerslayer, Dec 27, 2010.

1. AR_deerslayer

AR_deerslayer Well-Known Member

anybody interested in reloading some brass? I have about 80 that Id like to get reloaded . I do not have a press or any reloading euipment, but would like to have them done,if anybody interested please let me know . I could get the bullets if needed to? and pay a fair price

2. Mr. Chitlin

Mr. Chitlin Administrator Staff Member

NE Ark
    You will find out that most reloaders won't load for anyone else, partly due to federal regs, mostly due to liability.

I don't shoot any reloads except the ones I load, I don't let anyone shoot any of my reloads, except sometimes I will let them shoot my reloads in my gun. Never my reloads in anyone else's guns.

I do offer to let people use my equipment. I will look over their shoulder to oversee them, but they will pull the handle and do the actual loading.

3. AR_deerslayer

AR_deerslayer Well-Known Member

was afraid of that . . darn

4. delta duster

delta duster Well-Known Member

I use to reload for my .300 WBM but I don't any more, I guess I've gotten lazy. I shoot federals loaded with 180gr game kings. Not a bad price on a box of those. That 300 sure kick's alot more now that I'm 52 than it did when I was 22....lol.. I'm using a 7x57 more and more...

5. WillyB71

WillyB71 Well-Known Member

You could almost pay for a basic reloading starter kit with what you would save on 4 boxes of Weatherby factory loads.

6. Mr. Chitlin

NE Ark
    Weatherby factory ammo is $82/20 rounds and I load 100 rounds for less than $50.

7. dobby

dobby Well-Known Member

Mr. C,

Would you be willing to share your most successful loads? Bullet, Powder charge and your favorite dies? I too am looking at this option. I have a 1990 Weatherby Vanguard Deluxe in .300 WM, beautiful gun in absolutly 100% condition. I'm looking to reload something that shoots very flat as I have one field I hunt that is right at 400 yards and have feared taking the shot with my 30.06. at several very large bucks at the end of the field. I would typically move my stands closer but it is rare they come out there but dang if I did'nt loose the opportunity twice.

Thanks,

Last edited: Jan 9, 2011
  8. dobby

dobby Well-Known Member

Oh yeah

I do already have all the equipment less dies.

9. Mr. Chitlin

NE Ark
    I shoot 165 and 180 grain Hornady SST's. I load them over 82.0 gr REL22 in Remington cases, WLR primer. Same powder charge with both bullets. I use Lee dies, some people don't like them but they load good ammo for my rifles.

I'm going to pick up a jug of REL25 and see how it does when it warms up.

Understand that these loads work in MY rifles with the particular components that I am using, you are advised to refer to reliable reloading data supplied by component manufacturers and work those load up to a safe level in your firearms.

10. dirtdart

dirtdart Well-Known Member

I love a 300 WBY. Mine is a Rem 700 LSS with a silver Leupold VX-II. I don't load or shoot much stuff lighter than 180gr. in mine.

I've always felt if you're gonna shoot 150's or 165's stick with a '06 and spend the money saved on something else.

Hodgdon Powder has sand-bagged IMR data since they purchased IMR....DUPONT IMR was a superior powder in my opinion. Now days, who knows? H-4831 had inflated data. IMR 4831 was a superior powder. Oehler doesn't lie. I'm slowly drifting to all Alliant powder. I've always had a dislike for Hodgdon powder...I'll save that for another day. Hodgdon even renamed the IMR-4831SC now call it H-4831SC.

Stick with the 180's loaded to about 2900 to 2950fps and you can't go wrong. R-19 or R-22 either one will work nicely.

http://www.barnesbullets.com/Copper_Manual4/300 Wby Mag.pdf

11. demented

demented Well-Known Member

I won't load anything for anyone but have "supervised" while someone loaded their own. Hopefully this would keep me out of trouble for both liability and licensing requirements. Since I never touch any component it'd be hard for anyone to say I did the loads.

12. Mr. Chitlin

NE Ark
    I do the same thing. I watch over their shoulder to make sure they do things right. They pull the handle.

13. r6487

r6487 Well-Known Member

190 grain hornady with 74.0 of IMR4350 at around 2875 works over here.