300 Honda trx bearing problems.

Discussion in 'ATV's and Motorcycles' started by schaps72, Jul 16, 2017 at 11:44 AM.

1. schaps72

schaps72 Well-Known Member

I'm changing bearings in the final drive on my 4whlr. There's one bearing that is gonna be terrible to change. It's the pinion bearing and it has a locking clip that has to be pushed down while being removed. But it's only accessible from one place. Maybe need a blind bearing puller or anyone have any ideas on how to get it out?? Saw a YouTube video where a guy drills out the back side and knocks it through. I'm not sure I want to do that and risk messing the case up.

2. Where is Hilbillycycles?

3. Arkie_3_fan

Arkie_3_fan Well-Known Member

I just bought a whole new rear assembly rather than mess with the bearings when mine took out.

schaps72 likes this.
  4. schaps72

I looked into that too but the complete assembly is a little out of my price range. I like getting my hands dirty and fixing what I can myself I guess. And I also live for the struggling, fighting, screaming and throwing tools until its fixed. Then I feel like I accomplished something lol!

JB Weld likes this.
  5. TripleOG

TripleOG Well-Known Member

Yes a blind bearing puller will get it out. Be careful getting it out. I do a lot of working on my own atvs and I've owned a Honda 300 for over 10 years. I've only had the rear end rebuilt once and I sent it off to a guy who did it for $80 plus shipping. I already had the bearing kit bought. That bearing is the reason I sent it off. Good luck either way it goes.

6. John Stiles

John Stiles Ultimate Member<br>2007 Team Turkey Contest Winner

I'm still riding the 2,000 model I got for $200 when the rear end went out. I've had it now for 16 years and it's still going on the rebuild I did. But its never been mudded since then either! :)

7. hillbillycycles

hillbillycycles Well-Known Member

I must admit I cheated the last time I rebuilt an atv rear differential. When I got to the pinion bearing removal I took the case to an engine shop and had them take the bearing out for me. Cost me $10 and I would have paid twice that and still been smiling.

I also watched the video where the guy drilled the case and knocked it out from the back. I'd probably tackle that method but it's not for the faint of heart I am sure.

Other than those methods, I'd say the guys trick for holding the clip is pretty neat and if you have a welder I'd do the all thread and nut trick. You can make a plate to go over the studs on the case and then use a nut on the all thread to pull the bearing out.

No, not one method is any fun besides paying someone else to do it.

8. hawgpharm

hawgpharm Well-Known Member

That needle bearing is a pain. I changed one out that came out fairly easily. I have another that I tried drilling the hole in the case but I still haven't gotten it out. If I could find a shop to get it out for $10 I would gladly do it. I've read on some atv forums about people putting it in the oven to heat it up and get it out but I'm not going to do that.

9. hillbillycycles

hillbillycycles Well-Known Member

I used the oven trick on a blind bearing in a transmission case on a motorcycle once before, but it did not have a retaining ring to hold it in. Wife was not happy with motor oil smell in the oven, either. :rolleyes:

I am thinking the all thread with a nut welded to the bearing may be the trick but it would take some doing still.

10. schaps72

Thanks for the input. I don't have a welder so that trick is out. I do have a propane torch and drill bits though. I would gladly give $10 to have it took out. I called a guy down in Sheridan and he said he'd change all the bearings for $65 if I supplied the bearings. So that's not to bad. Anyone have any other suggestions for it I'm all ears! Or good shops that would do that kinda stuff around here. May just call the guy in Judsonia a see what he charges.

11. Arkie_3_fan

At the time I looked at it, the bearing kit itself was rather spendy and I was concerned about the condition of the gears as well. I was able to find a place that had the complete assembly for around $400. At that time, there were some slight changes in some of the parts over the course of 88 - 2000 or so. I want to say that assembly I purchased was for a 1996 or 1994 model and which was a couple hundred bucks cheaper than some of the assemblies for other year models.
    Also, the horror stories of the bearings and getting the gears shimmed properly scared me away from a rebuild.
    That "free" wheeler ended up costing me close to $1200 by the time I replaced the rear end, the brake backing plate, the rear axle, hub, front wheel bearing and a few other goodies here and there.

12. hawgpharm

Do you have a tool to remove the pinion bearing nut?

I don't think $65 to change all the bearings is bad at all.

13. hawgpharm

All the rear ends from 88-00 are interchangeable, and that includes both 2wd and 4wd. There were some slight changes around 95 or so on some other parts though.

I had one in good condition one time with a bad rear end. I found a junk bike with a good rear end for $250. I just unbolted and swapped the rear ends on them...axle, hubs and all.

14. Arkie_3_fan

Yeah, basically the only differences in any of the years was the more aggressive cam on the 88's and the heel guards added in 1990 and changing over to double a-arms on the 2wd in 91 or 92.
    The part numbers on the rear difs changed a bit though and it was a no brainer to go with the much cheaper option.

15. mk1848

mk1848 Well-Known Member

16. schaps72

No I don't have to tool to remove that nut but like everything else I searched some ideas on how to remove it. The tool alone is $42 on eBay so I'm thinking $65 is a good price!

17. schaps72

Yea this one only has memories attached to it. Didn't cost me a dime. It's a one owner bought brand new in 88. My uncle owned it and it's well used. Never abused but it was a tool too him and nothing else. It's been way up in the mountains in Colorado elk hunting and all over Arkansas. It's the first 4whlr I ever rode. And I'm pretty sure I put the first nice scratch on it when I drove it into his chain link fence.

18. hawgpharm

I
    If you go that route make sure they change the needle bearing also. Some people will just change out the other bearings and not change that one since it can be hard to do.

19. Arkie_3_fan

I've got a 90 model that I need to get back going. It's been sitting up because I never got around to replacing a wheel bearing on the front.
    I drove the wheels off of it from from 92 till around 2004. Ran the "free" 4wd from 2003 - 2005 and have been on my Rincon every since.
    Sure do need to get at least one of those old 300's going though.

20. schaps72

They may not big the biggest baddest wheelers out there. But they are reliable and tough rigs. I just like them I've owned several and wish I had them back. This one here is not going anywhere unless it's stolen or someone has an insane amount of money on the table.