Arkansas Hunting banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

· Registered
479 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok so I scoped out my 94 I want to go long range with it would it be possible to load some ballistic tip .308 bullets if I only have one in the tube @ a time bc the leverevolution is a tad expensive to shoot an dit would give me an excuse to learn to reload I already have presses I just need dies and powder :cool:

· Administrator
90,822 Posts
Lots of people do it. One thing you must consider is that the ballistic tip bullets are designed to expand at 308/30.06 velocities, so at longer ranges, they might not open up at 30/30 velocities, although Nosler says they have a minimum impact velocity of 1600FPS.

According to my ballistic calculator, starting at 2350FPS/1839FPE, at 100 yards it will be at 2169FPS/1567FPE, 200 - 1996FPS/1327FPE and 300 - 1830FPS/1115FPE.

· Super Moderator
8,353 Posts
You would need to change the bullet seating pilot in 30/30 dies which is easy to do. Most likely the 30/30 dies would come with a pilot for a flat nose bullet.
I think you would do better to shoot the flat nose bullets made for the 30/30 and keep your shots under 150 yards or go to another rifle/bullet for shots over 150 yards with PSP bullets. Just my opinion. :thumb:

· Premium Member
11,478 Posts
If you are really serious about keeping just one in the barrel and one in the mag tube, this can work. That kinda bothers me a little, because folks do get excited and forget what's going on....

Sylamore's got a major point too; if I thought I was going to shoot 300 yards I'd do it with a .30-06 or my .270.

If this is just a fun experiment to see how far you can shoot effectively with a .30-30, then I'd say let 'er rip. We would need an after action report on the results, of course. Just don't blow yerself up by loading more than one in the magazine. :eek:

· Registered
674 Posts
HagwoodHunter,

I believe the men who suggested that you use a different rifle for long range shooting were giving you the best advice.

However everyone has a different opinion about what long distance is. You never mentioned what distances you were planning on. Would you care to elaborate? I read a article once about a man shooting a 45-70 with 500 grain bullets at one thousand yards and hitting the bull pretty regular with iron sights. But, the article also told the bull was 10 foot in diameter.

One other thing not mentioned is why you would want to try long distance shooting with a 30-30. If it is strictly shooting at targets it sounds like fun and I wish you well. My son and I used to shoot 200 yards at clay birds on the side of a hill with 22 longrifle cartridges. Every once in a while we would break one. Lots of fun. If your planning on hunting large game with your 30-30 at long distances I’m not so sure that would be responsible on your part. My personal opinion.

No one else has considered whether or no your budget will allow you to own another rifle for longer range shooting. If this would be your situation I’m sure everyone here would be willing to come up with an alternative that may help you if you explain. I’ve known lots of people who could only afford one gun. Including me for many years. If I could only afford one gun for hunting big game in Arkansas a 30-30 would probably it.

Ken

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.