30/30 sling?

Discussion in 'Guns, Ammunition, and Reloading' started by Currdog, Dec 3, 2012.

1. Currdog

Currdog Well-Known Member

Central
    Who makes a sling for a marlin 30/30 an where can I get one? Thanks for any info

2. Revnate

Revnate Well-Known Member

Fordyce
    Are you looking for something other than a standard rifle sling? Almost any sling should work if your rifle has sling swivel studs installed.

If you're looking for a way to mount a sling without drilling your stock, they make slings that slip over the butt stock and then attach to a sling swivel stud on the magazine tube.

A little more information on exactly what you need, and I'm sure I or someone else can point you in the right direction.

3. Currdog

Central
    Basically just trying to see what is the best option. I'm open to all suggestions. Thanks

4. THExONE

THExONE Moderator<br>Deer Hunting<br>2011-12 Deer Hunting

Just pick up any sling that you like. All will work on a 30-30.

5. paxcolt

paxcolt Well-Known Member

Conway
    I like Quake's "The Claw" slings. They stay put on the shoulder really well.

6. Revnate

Fordyce
    Does your rifle already have sling studs?

7. Currdog

Central
    No it does not. This is my boys gun that belonged to his grandpa. The old stock has seen it's better days to say the least and I'm not real sure if it would hold the screw in studs for long. Iv offered to replace the stocks for him but means more to him as is and I respect that just trying to get a sling on it for him. Thanks yall

8. Revnate

Fordyce
    You'll need to start off with something like this http://www.midwayusa.com/product/515599/uncle-mikes-quick-detachable-sling-swivel-set-magazine-tubes-630-675-diameter-410-bore-shotgun-1-black Out of stock from this retailer at the moment. I would expect to find these at Walmart, too.

An alternative- I have one of these and have used it on a 336. No sling studs required http://www.midwayusa.com/product/347484/butler-creek-easy-rider-sling-with-stock-and-barrel-loops-neoprene-mossy-oak-break-up-camo

And one other option- similar to above- I have seen sling that lace on to the butt stock, though I couldn't easily locate one with a search.

If you do install the sling swivel studs, just be careful drilling the butt stock. Unless it is rotten, it will hold. Use the right size bit to pre-drill, and cover the area to be drilled with masking tape before marking and drilling it. That will help avoid splintering the wood. Follow recommendations on the placement of the sling stud. That will help keep the rifle balanced on your shoulder. I would also add- there seems to be a temptation to install the rear sling swivel stud in the bullseye insert on the 336 stocks. Please, for the love of all that is blued steel and walnut, please do not mount it in the insert. It might just be a pet peeve of mine, but there is the real possibility that the insert may come out. I've seen it happen once, but that was once too many.

Edit to add:
    If he's not keen on altering that stock, might consider picking up some used wood and keeping the originals set aside for safe keeping. I was at Gunslinger's in Pine Bluff recently and they had a shelf full of 336 wood for sale.

Last edited: Dec 5, 2012