Arkansas Hunting banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Super Member<br>2010 Bowhunting Contest Winner
4,212 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have heard from a few people a myth that i have yet to figure out. I don't shoot 3 1/2 but was wondering. Has anyone ever heard that 3 1/2's actually pattern worse? When i heard this we were actually referring to duck loads but i am sure it would be roughly the same with turkey loads. Thoughts please~!

·
Registered
11,288 Posts
I've heard this mentioned a few times.
I'm some cases, depending on the particular gun/ammo combination this might be true.
In all honesty, my 3.5" doesn't pattern a great deal better than the 3" guns I've used in the past. In it's defense, those 3" guns patterned quite well.

·
4,212 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks Arkie for the honest post! You know how some ppl are...they shoot 3 1/2 and its got to be the best thing thats come to this earth since breath! HAHA! :thumb: imma do some research ill let u know!

·
Registered
14,382 Posts
I just mentioned in another post...
I've shot 3.5"s ever since I got my 870 Super Mag in 2000.
My brother wanted to go turkey hunting last year, so I gave a choke and some shells I wasnt using. He has a Super Mag too, but it shot 3" shells so well, we never fooled with any 3.5"s.

·
Registered
235 Posts
In my Extrema with a Jellyhead choke shooting Win extended #6 the 3 1/2's do quite a bit better than the 3".You'll just have to try them for your gun.I didn't think the would be much better untill a buddy gave me a 3 1/2 to compare to my 3".

·
Registered
2,554 Posts
I have owned three 3.5 inch guns, one Rem. 870, and two Moss. 835's and patterned them all. Some loads shot as good and maybe just slightly better than my 3" 870 but, not enough to take the extra wieght, expense and punishment that you have to endure. Just my experience, like the other guys said , you have to try it for yourself and be your own judge.:thumb: Good luck and whatever you shoot I hope you get a big'un.

·
Registered
11,288 Posts
Heck,
I may even do some more patterning with my current gun and see what it does with some of the newer ammo that's came out since I settled on my present setup 5 or 6 years ago.
If I switch to 3" shells then I'll have to post back and let everyone know. :thumb:

·
Registered
419 Posts
I switched to 3 1/2" a few years back and I can't see any harm in it all. I recently patterned my new Browning with XXXFull Comp-N-Choke and shot at an HS Strut Turkey head target and had just over 30 pellets in the head and neck at 40 yards, 6 at 60 yards....then i shot at 30 for fun and had 58 pellets in the neck and head. Seems like they work just fine for me

·
4,212 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
thnx guys, like i said.. i don't shoot 3 1/2 and really don't plan too...it was just a myth and i was wondering wat others thot! Not sure if i mentioned it but i shoot my 20 gauge turkey huntin....i have killed em all the way out to 52 steps so i don't bother luggin around my 12 gauge til duck season....much easier on a man runnin up and down ridges! :biggrin:

·
Registered
6,748 Posts
I had a Mossberg 835 with a xxxfull choke and I got a better pattern at 40 yards with 3" ammo. The 3.5 would shoot low and spotty at 40 yards while the 3 would shoot more consistent throughout the pattern. I saw better results with the 3" loads from my brothers 835 also.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.