Arkansas Hunting banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
2,313 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I cannot find 280 shells anywhere! I shoot the 140 grain federals loaded with the nosler ballistic tips but can't even find those online. In fact the only shells I have found in stock are the federal fusions.. Is the round just fading out? I've though about just buying a 25-06 barrel to put on my model 700 action and stock but crap those are at least $350 and haven't seen the one I need in stock anywhere... Anybody got any leads??

·
Registered
4,354 Posts
I've reloaded for the 280Rem for years...I think my dies are even marked 7mm Remington Express. Love the things. My Brother has 4 bolt guns in 280 he loves them so much.

Reload. Reload. Reload. They don't make good factory ammo for the 280.

·
Registered
2,541 Posts
I reload for the .280 and live in Bryant. I can hook you up with some hand loads but wouldn't recommend them in anything but a bolt action because they are a little on the hot side. 139 grain Hornady interlock at a little over 3,000 fps. PM me if interested.

·
Registered
4,140 Posts
Sir if u have the brass buy some powder and bullets and drive up to my house u can use my stuff and load u all the 280 ammo to do u. Then we can goto the shooting range sight it in. Not far from my house. Please look at the hornady 139 gr SST bullet if u like the nosler BT u will love the SST better bullet. I love them so much I have 12 100 ct boxes on reloading table. And a good powder for it RL19 55 GRS 3 shots touching .

·
Registered
2,541 Posts
Please look at the hornady 139 gr SST bullet if u like the nosler BT u will love the SST better bullet.
I tried the BT one year in my .280. They printed 3/4" groups at 175 yards but when I took a 100 yard shot broadside at an average sized doe the bullet hit a rib just behind the front leg, turned 90 degrees and wound up in the paunch. What a gut shot mess!

I have never recovered one of my Hornady 139 grain Interlocks. They drill straight through and leave a quarter size (or larger) hole on the other side. I once hit a buck facing me in the brisket and the bullet exited about 2" left of the anus penetrating well over three feet. I have not tried the SST on deer but the ballistics are an order of magnitude above the interlocks. I'm just shy about trying another tipped bullet on deer. Besides, I bought 1,000 of the interlocks a couple of years ago and that should last me the rest of my life.

·
Registered
2,313 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Went back to fort thompsons for a third time to look and found ONE box of Winchester ballistic silver tip tucked back in behind some other boxes. Since I'm tagged out in bucks it may be awhile until it comes back out but if I run across anymore I will be buying what i can find. Heck I might even tell the wife id like a reloading press for Christmas/ birthday...

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.