Arkansas Hunting banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What are ya'lls opinion of this caliber? I really like the ballistics, and have heard good things, but wanted to hear opinions from folks who have experience shooting it.

I know it's fast, but are you impressed with the knock down power?

Thanks

·
Registered
1,716 Posts
If you are familiar with Craig Boddington, big game hunter and Outdoor / shooting magazine editor / writer, it may mean something to you that he rates the .270 WSM as possibly the best medium / big game caliber out there.

He has stated in more than one article that he likes the ballistics of the .270 wsm over the 7mm mag, 7mm wsm, 300 mag, 300 wsm and the .325 wsm.

I have not personally shot the round, but have seriously considered getting one due to all of the favorable press I have seen on it.

MET

·
Registered
2,998 Posts
My 2 cents is that the ammo is going to be difficult to find in a few years. There are a lot of those "designer" calibers being touted as superior to the tried and true ones. No matter how fast and powerful a cartridge is, it all boils down to bullet placement. A 270SUAMGAFABSNPEK etc, will not kill an animal any deader than a 30-06. JMHO:razz:

·
Select Member<br>Ol Eagle Eye
17,183 Posts
I have had one in a ruger mk II for two years and I love it. I use it mostly hunting around some fields where I sometimes get some pretty long shots. I haven't had a deer or coyote go over 15 or 20 yards yet.

·
Registered
146 Posts
I have one and I love it but if recoil makes you nervous DON'T buy one it will kick the fire out of you and you cannot tell someone you didn't shoot if you miss because it is very loud

·
Registered
11,495 Posts
My brother has one that he thinks is the greatest thing since sliced bread. I've shot it a couple of times, its not too bad, it does seem very loud, but I don't know if it kicked any worse than any other rifle I've ever shot. I'm not going to rush out and buy one (I'm happy with my 30-06), but I think that it's a darn good gun, and if you want one go for it.:biggrin:

·
Administrator
81,503 Posts
My 2 cents is that the ammo is going to be difficult to find in a few years. There are a lot of those "designer" calibers being touted as superior to the tried and true ones. No matter how fast and powerful a cartridge is, it all boils down to bullet placement. A 270SUAMGAFABSNPEK etc, will not kill an animal any deader than a 30-06. JMHO:razz:
That's my concern about the new whizbang magnums. Rick Jamison, who created and patented the short magnums, has file suit against the gun and ammo manufacturers over patent infringement using the short mags. If you look at the major manufacturers, several have dropped the short mags from their line up. Personally I am not sure if it is due to the suit or if it is due to lackluster sales.

If you want more info on the Jamison suit, you can Google it and get all the reading info you want.

·
Registered
234 Posts
I had a browning a-bolt,great gun.Unless you order ammo all my wally world stocked was 130 gr bt.I killed 6 deer with this gun.Most only went 20 to 100 yards, only one fell stone dead.My 06 does a better job of getting the stone cold dead smile on my face.:biggrin: I shot 4 with the 130 and 2 with 150 Bt.
I just sold mine and I am looking for another toy to hunt with.The 270 wsm is
fast,flat shooting ,and hard hitting at both ends.I think I will stick to the 30 calibers from now on.

·
Administrator
81,503 Posts
I had a browning a-bolt,great gun.Unless you order ammo all my wally world stocked was 130 gr bt.I killed 6 deer with this gun.Most only went 20 to 100 yards, only one fell stone dead.My 06 does a better job of getting the stone cold dead smile on my face.:biggrin: I shot 4 with the 130 and 2 with 150 Bt.
I just sold mine and I am looking for another toy to hunt with.The 270 wsm is
fast,flat shooting ,and hard hitting at both ends.I think I will stick to the 30 calibers from now on.
Did it do anything that the 100 year old 30/06 or the 80 year old 270 couldn't do??

I bet I can answer that one. :biggrin:

·
Select Member<br>Ol Eagle Eye
17,183 Posts
Don't have one, never squeezed the trigger on one and after these....

probably never will. That's long blood trails compared to what I get out of ought 6. :eek:
I have a ought 6 too it's my short range brush gun.:biggrin:

·
Registered
5,976 Posts
I have a .270WSM and really like it. I think for my hunting I do here in AR, its over kill. I don't think ammo will be a problem, as it's a popular chambering. Now the 7mmWSM ( Ihave on of them as well), is a different story. I have not shot a deer with mine yet, but's it's hell on paper! :thumb:

·
Registered
13,814 Posts
My 2 cents is that the ammo is going to be difficult to find in a few years.
My concern would be finding ammo right now... My buddy shoots one because he got a deal on it. Most places, if you can find any bullets at all, arent gonna have any selection.
Also, those bullets will be more expensive!

·
Registered
419 Posts
I have one in a Browning A-Bolt. It has a shorter bolt and does have more knock down power. I dropped one in its tracks and another went a good ten yards last year. Bullet placement will always be key but you can't go wrong with a flat shooting gun like the .270WSM I didn't seem to notice the "extra kick" that people say it has and it don't seem to be overly loud either. I bought mine because I was moving up from a .243 Win and liked what I heard from reading reviews and doing my research on it. The one thing I will pass on that I read was of the WSM calibers it is probably the best but if you have a .270 Win there isn't any special reason to go out and buy a .270 WSM unless you are just getting a new gun or something along those lines which was my case!

·
Registered
234 Posts
Did it do anything that the 100 year old 30/06 or the 80 year old 270 couldn't do??

I bet I can answer that one. :biggrin:
I have been out awhile and just back to the computer.No my 06 does a better
job,and less shoulder pain.I am looking at a 300 win but its hard to decide like you said the 06 is just hard to beat.

·
Registered
149 Posts
The 270 short can be hard to find ammo for, and is greatly over rated. A larger diameter bullet will transfer energy better. I'd stick with 30 caliber, the super duper magnums are over rated. They don't shoot much faster, and hurt the pocket much harder.

·
Registered
506 Posts
I had a 270 WSM, but sold it. Nothing against it, but at target practice it lets you know it's there by the recoil felt. Ammo and a variety of it is hard to find for the 270 WSM.

I guess curiosity got the best of me so I wanted to try the whizz bang WSM. I went back to the tried and true 30-06 and realized pretty quickly that it kills graveyard dead just like the WSM w/o the stiff recoil.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts