Arkansas Hunting banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
3,029 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
never loaded 270 before. Lots of '06, and .308..... whats the best powder for this round loaded with 130 gr btsp? the manual says 56 gr of imr4831 will provide a mv of 3000fps.... thats about what i would like but i have tons of imr4064 and imr4350 has anyone used these powders for this specific round? i also getting mixed info on oal....help please?:head:

·
Registered
5,413 Posts
Welcome to the forum! I don't have a book in front of me so I can't speak to any specific data, but 4350 is a great powder for the .270. 4350 and 4831 are probably the 2 most popular for that weight of bullet. I haven't tried 4064 in mine, but I've heard it also works well. Someone else should pipe up shortly with OAL #s...

·
Registered
3,029 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
thanks guys.... ive always been a big 30 caliber fan and just decided to get this rifle recently. Figured i would just start with handloads since i know ill eventually be shooting nothing but..... someone convinced me to give one a try so i'll just see. Is this a good round for elk?

·
Premium Member
11,478 Posts
thanks guys.... ive always been a big 30 caliber fan and just decided to get this rifle recently. Figured i would just start with handloads since i know ill eventually be shooting nothing but..... someone convinced me to give one a try so i'll just see. Is this a good round for elk?
I don't know--dad carried mine to Colorado twice, but never fired a shot! I hear tell you can kill anything alive in North America today, Jack O'Conner wouldn't lie to us, would he? :biggrin:

·
Registered
3,029 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
The 130 gr btsp has a higher BC and SD than my 150gr .308....so i would think that its perfectly capable.. just cant figure how a smaller faster bullet is better.. thats just some math i havent learned yet!

·
Super Moderator
8,353 Posts
About 3 years ago I got a real good deal on a Remington Model 7400 in .270. I started reloading for it and finally settled on two loads that are very accurate in my rifle using 130 gr. PSP bullets. The two powders are IMR 4064 and RL-22 with appropriate charges to produce 2900 fps velocity. Over All Length (OAL) in my reloading manual is listed at 3.340 inches. My loads are slightly shorter at 3.335. I have not run either load through the Chrony, the accuracy on targets @ 100 yards are very acceptable.
The 270 will no doubt handle an Elk if the shooter is capable of appropriate bullet placement. What brand, model rifle are you using?
Personally, I would prefer a 30 caliber, in a heavier bullet for Elk.
Also Welcome to the forum! Glad to have you join us. :thumb:

·
Registered
3,029 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
thanks sylamore... did i understand correctly..2200 fps? am i thinking of loading too hot? its a new s&w i-bolt. Ive heard good things about them like the t/c barrel and also an adjustable timney trigger. I also agree about the .30 caliber on larger game. maybe i'll just stick to hogs and whitetail with this rifle for now. I just need to see what kind of groups i can get with this one.

·
Administrator
90,592 Posts
I have never handloaded for the 270 as I don't own one, but I have read glowing reports on IMR4350 and IMR4831. I use a lot of 4350 in 243 and 30/06. Another good powder to try would be REL22 as was said above. Since you have the 4350, I'd say start out with that. Max loads don't always give the best accuracy, and a deer won't be able to tell the difference in 2900 fps and 3000 fps.

·
Super Moderator
8,353 Posts
Actually, I was wondering if you meant 3200 fps. :biggrin:
Might be able to push the right bullet and load that fast but I don't recommend trying it in a semi-auto like the Rem Mdl. 7400. It does real well at 2900 fps but if you heat up the barrel the point of impact at 100 yards starts walking up and right about 2-4 inches. It shoots good three shot groups. :thumb:

·
Super Moderator
8,353 Posts
yeah i think i'll try to start at 2850-2950 and see how they work.hopefully a sub-moa load first or second try... i only wish:pray:
I don't think I could ever get that kind of accuracy out of the Rem 7400 so I stay with Hornady 130 gr. PSP bullets or anything else that is reasonably priced. They (Hornady) do pretty good but I do not expect 600+ yard accuracy.

·
Registered
3,029 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
i am a true believer in hornady bullets. nice soft lead and very consistent weights. like i said i shoot alot of .30 cal with 150 or 165 gr spire point boat tail and shoot .7-.8 moa in .308 and 30-06. excellent bullets

·
Registered
162 Posts
I have been loading and hunting with the same A-Bolt .270 for about 19 years now and absolutely love the round. I wont get specific on the load but IMR 4350 and the 130 grain Nosler Ballistic tip bullets are bout as good as it gets in my opinion. Bang---Flop on bout every deer I killed, I always aim for the shoulder and on a few occasions, the lungs. The shoulder shots have always been quite impressive for me with this combo. Dont know of any other loads as I never had a reason to.

·
Registered
48 Posts
never loaded 270 before. Lots of '06, and .308..... whats the best powder for this round loaded with 130 gr btsp? the manual says 56 gr of imr4831 will provide a mv of 3000fps.... thats about what i would like but i have tons of imr4064 and imr4350 has anyone used these powders for this specific round? i also getting mixed info on oal....help please?:head:
Nothing works better than H4831, this is the powder I settled on more than 40 years ago and still use today!! If you and your rifle are capable of sub MOA groups this is the powder that will do it. I would suggust using good quality bullets such as the Nosler Partition. Nosler is another product that will do its part if you do yours!! William

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.