Arkansas Hunting banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Administrator
89,103 Posts
100 grain is just about the standard big game bullet weight for the 243. Some people look at the 80 grain as being a compromise between the varmint and big game bullet. I load 100 grain Cor-Lokt's and Hornady boattail Interlock's.

·
Registered
11,695 Posts
I'm reloading 100 gr hornady's but have shot deer with 100gr. Corelokd and Power points with good results.

I WOULD NOT RECOMMEND BALLISTIC TIPS FOR 243. I LOST A HUGE 10PT LAST YEAR WITH A BROADSIDE SHOT AT 40 YARDS. I THINK THE BULLET EXPLODED ON IMPACT AND DID NO INTERNAL DAMAGE.

·
Registered
1,716 Posts
I shoot Hornady 95 gr. SST's in my .243. They perform great. I too have had some questions about Nosler and Remington ballistic tips and possible explosion or extreme fragmentation on impact .... so I switched to the Hornady and have been happy.

·
Administrator
89,103 Posts
I have used the 100 grain Remington Cor-Lokt's for the last 10 years or so. This morning, I loaded up some of the Hornady 100 grain boat tail interlock bullets. I'm going to give them a workout in the morning.

·
Registered
410 Posts
I shot 80 gr. core-lokt pointed soft point and hollow points in a 243 for 14 years. Never had a single problem with them and never lost a deer or hog with them. The 80 gr. seems to shoot flatter and mushroom out better than the 100 gr.:thumb:

·
Registered
873 Posts
My friend and I killed 3 bucks last year with the 80 grain Remington Core Locks. Each were one shot kills. But, they did not bleed much at all. I saw mine fall in the field and was easy to find. His bucks were hell to track. Both were over 70 yards before we saw a drop of blood.

While the 80 grain worked, I would go with a heavier bullet if I were to do it again. Good luck this year!

·
Registered
5,976 Posts
I've used 80 gr., and 100 gr. core-lockts on deer. I lost a deer with the 80 gr., but that was my fault, had a bad scope, and didn't know it. My father used 80 gr. cor-lockts, and lost one deer over 20+ years with his rifle. I am now using the Federal Fusions, but no deer, just paper targets.

·
Administrator
89,103 Posts
I have a friend who's only centerfire rifle is an old Savage 243 bolt action. He has deer hunted with this rifle for more than 30 years. Most of those years he has taken 2 to 3 deer. Most have either dropped DRT or within sight, he doesn't ever recall losing a deer. The only load he has ever used in that gun has been the Remington factory loaded 100 grain Cor-Lokt ammo. He says he sees no reason to change.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.