Arkansas Hunting banner
1 - 20 of 482 Posts

· Registered
212 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Well, I guess I feel since we have a gun season during the peak of the rut. The break was somewhat beneficial. Personally It would not bother me if we had a straight through gun season if it was in December.

· Registered
635 Posts
i like it. lets all the bullet slinging yahoos get done so i can get back out with the mathews and sling some arrows at critters, that is if I aint tagged out before gun season gets here.

Scenario. 1.
You see deer 200 yards away, you pick up gun, you shoot, deer falls. Big thrill, ooEEE

Scenario 2..

You see a deer 200 yards away, you watch him for near 1 hour feeding your way with binocs until he gets @ 70 yards. Blood pressure is soo high at this point its a wonder you can still breath. You SLOWWWWWWWWLYYYYY, pick up your bow and start checking you shooting lanes and yardages in you mind because you dont know which way he will go. the buck closes in to 50 yards, stops and looks around and checks wind for 15-20 seconds but it feels like a palm sweating eternity. He then goes back to feeding and closes in on 30 yards. You pick a small tuft of hair right behind the shoulder and draw your bow. A squirrel scampering down a tree catches the chair headed bucks attention and he is alert now. You dont want to shoot while he is on point, so you just hold your drawn bow until he relaxes some. When he finally goes back to feeding, you feel like you are going to shake yourself right out of the tree, but you take a breath, find your spot, release some air, and then WHACK!!!!!!!!!! BIG BUCK DOWN!!!!!!!!!!!

I never got too excited with gun hunting, i guess you can see why.

· Registered
7,901 Posts
huntinforbb, thats a scenario that happens, but it aint always an eternity on your bow bucks. last year, i had my quickest kill with a bow ever. from the time i saw him, til the time he splashed dead in the creek 70 yards away, after a 10 yd shot, was less than 15 seconds. the rush afterwards was unreal. but, my favorite kill last year, was the 312 yard shot through the pines of "The Valley of the Shadow of Death". each to his own, but some of us get the rush with a gun just like you do with a bow....BG12

· Registered
23,321 Posts
I'm an avid bowhunter and even I've noticed something....bowhunters :censored: about gun season way more than gun hunters :censored: about bow season. The only thing I'm going to miss about the break is the fact I ain't going to be able to go back to work for a week and catch up on my sleep.

· Registered
663 Posts
huntinforbb, thats a scenario that happens, but it aint always an eternity on your bow bucks. last year, i had my quickest kill with a bow ever. from the time i saw him, til the time he splashed dead in the creek 70 yards away, after a 10 yd shot, was less than 15 seconds. the rush afterwards was unreal. but, my favorite kill last year, was the 312 yard shot through the pines of "The Valley of the Shadow of Death". each to his own, but some of us get the rush with a gun just like you do with a bow....BG12
:thumb::clap:

· Registered
212 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Is this supposed to be another :fight: thread?
No this is not another i wanna argue thread. I do think our gun season is too long. and I also think it needs to be moved to December. but I was content with our gun season in November since there was a break in the middle. The kicker for me is I do not have access to a lot of private land. I am not on a lease and am not part of a club. So I get to hunt side by side with Tom, Dick and Harry. I don't trust Tom or Dick and Harry is a wild man. I like being able to bow hunt without having my :censored: puckered up, not knowing who is slinging bullets around. I don't even like being in the woods during gun season, but I do like hunting the rut.

· Registered
1,461 Posts
You see a deer 200 yards away, you watch him for near 1 hour feeding your way with binocs until he gets @ 70 yards. Blood pressure is soo high at this point its a wonder you can still breath. You SLOWWWWWWWWLYYYYY, pick up your bow and start checking you shooting lanes and yardages in you mind because you dont know which way he will go. the buck closes in to 50 yards, stops and looks around and checks wind for 15-20 seconds but it feels like a palm sweating eternity. He then goes back to feeding and closes in on 30 yards. You pick a small tuft of hair right behind the shoulder and draw your bow. A squirrel scampering down a tree catches the chair headed bucks attention and he is alert now. You dont want to shoot while he is on point, so you just hold your drawn bow until he relaxes some. When he finally goes back to feeding, you feel like you are going to shake yourself right out of the tree, but you take a breath, find your spot, release some air, and then WHACK!!!!!!!!!! BIG BUCK DOWN!!!!!!!!!!!
STOP IT, you're making my blood pressure go up. :biggrin: October 1 can't get here fast enough.

1 - 20 of 482 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.