Arkansas Hunting banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
11,695 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I got my daughter an nef youth superlight 223 off of here this fall and up till today had only shot about 6 shells out of it. Today while I was letting my barrel on my 243 cool between shots, I shot the rest of the 2 boxes of rem. 55gr. hp. I figured I would try the ranges that expected my daughter to shoot, and it was a blast. At 50 yards I kept about a 1.5" group standing without a rest and sitting using my knees as a rest I did three separate groups of 3 with all three bullets touching, again at 50 yards.

If I'm planning on keeping her shots below 40 yards with a broadside double lung shot will that bullet work, or do I need to bight the bullet and get some better bullets. Or should I start reloading some heavier soft pointed bullets? Walmart in Morrilton has some 62 gr. Sierras. I need to got to walmart and take a picture of what they've got. They are really starting to get quite a bit. They've got about 6-8 different types of powders, small and large primers, 22, 25 and 30 cal bullets (Seierra, Hornady and Nosler) and he says they can get about anything you want.

·
Administrator
89,107 Posts
When I have carried my .223 to hunt deer, I used a handloaded 64 grain Winchester Power Point. This bullet has developed a good following for deep penetration and good expansion with guys that hunt deer with a .22 caliber centerfire, and they aren't that expensive from Midway.

·
Registered
494 Posts
I would suggest that you find the bullet and load that the rifle shoots most accuratly.

a 22 isnt very forgiving. the shots need to be accurate first and foremost.
is there any question that a FMJ is a poor hunting bullet?
NO.
is there any question that a FMJ thru the head will kill?
NO
Barnes makes great bullets, so do a dozen other companies. but if the rifle throws them what good are they going to do?

also i know for a fact that the NEF has a slow rate of twist. these suggestions about 62 grain + bullets are plain wrong, sorry guys.

the 1-12" twist WILL NOT STABALIZE HEAVY BULLETS.

stick with 55gr. I would try the federal factory soft points (223A) before i started loading for the rifle.
i have seen 223's go from .3" groups to 4" groups with as little as a quarter grain change in powder.

this is from the NEF website...
As a general rule the NEF/H&R products prefer bullets on the lighter-for-caliber weights than some rifles do. For instance, the 223 caliber Handi rifles much prefer 55gr and under bullets to say a 60 to 70gr. Most of the time the heavier 224 bullets will in fact tumble. This is due to the twist rate being a 1 in 12 for the 223.

·
Registered
494 Posts
Afer speaking with some yote hunters on another forum I am told that some models were released to the market mid 2007 that had an improved rate of twist. these were HBAR varmint set-ups but new twist rates 1-9" may be filtering into the youths and superlights.
check your twist rate w/ a bore brush to know for sure or call NEF w/ the serial number. 978-630-8220 and ask for Customer Service.

·
Registered
9,846 Posts
My daughter used the Federal Vital Shok 60gr. Nosler Partition in her NEF .223 Handi-Rifle this past season and it did a great job on deer. Exit hole was the size of a half dollar on both deer she shot at 20 yards. We didn't shoot much past 25 yards before the season, so I don't really know how it will perform at longer ranges. It didn't matter last year because I knew she wouldn't be taking any longer shots at that time.

http://www.monicamitchell.com/deer_hunting.htm

.270Win

·
Registered
227 Posts
I load a 55 grain Hornady V-Max with 28.5 grains of Varget. My daughter shots them out of a Ruger #3. She's deadly with it At most any range. She's 19 now and can shoot a larger cal. rifle but Still would rather carry the 223 She has great results with it so I don't argue about it and just keep her ammo loaded up.

·
Registered
2,872 Posts
I don't know what twist rate your barrel is, but keep in mind that Barnes bullets are longer than average for thier bullet weights and your barrel twist rate may not stabilize it. Try a few different bullets and see what works best for you. I would think that if you keep the shots at or below 50 yards then you should keep in mind that you will need a bullet that will reliably expand at high velocities without explosively coming apart....and one that is accurate. It's a tall order, but if your 55 gr Rem HP's will do that, then why not stick with those?

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.