Arkansas Hunting banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
9,846 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I went to two different gun shops in Pine Bluff today looking for bulk .223 ammo and both places are sold out with no ideas when they may be available again. My main gun dude (DJ's Gun Shop) told me that the next batch he gets will sell in the $400.00 per 1000 range!!!! Hunters Refuge had the 20 count boxes of American Eagle for $8.99. :doh:

Any of you reloader folks that are interested in sending me a quote for 1000 rounds, I'm willing to listen. :cool:

.270Win

·
Premium Member
11,480 Posts
I recently lost a couple thousand once-fired .223 cases in a burglary at a friends house, man I'm gonna miss those guys! I thought I'd just buy some primed, empty cases, and those are going for what loaded ammo used to sell for! We need to clean out the Middle East real quick so our troops (and ammo) can come home!

·
Administrator
89,926 Posts
Any of you reloader folks that are interested in sending me a quote for 1000 rounds, I'm willing to listen.
As much as someone would like to do it, there's just too much liability involved in selling reloads, on top of it being against BATF laws.

If someone really wants to load, and is willing to come to my house, I let them use my equipment while I oversee the process. That way, they are the one doing the reloading, and they are responsible for any problems that happen.

I am shooting a rifle match this weekend and just got through loading 200 rounds. Total cost was ~$15. I'm loading for 7.5 cents per round right now, or $75/1000. This is with components that I stocked up on several years ago when you could buy 223 for $100/1000. I was told back then that 223 was too cheap to reload and I was foolish to stock up on components. Guess who's laughing now. :biggrin:

·
Registered
9,846 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the info guys. I checked the link LedZ posted and they have great prices but most of the Wolf ammo is out of stock. :frown:

I understand what you're saying Mr. C, I was pretty sure selling reloads would be a no-no. How long does it take to reload 1000 rounds? I've never even seen a reloading operation in real life, so I don't know squat about it....but might be up for some lessons sometime. :confused:

.270Win

·
Administrator
89,926 Posts
I understand what you're saying Mr. C, I was pretty sure selling reloads would be a no-no. How long does it take to reload 1000 rounds? I've never even seen a reloading operation in real life, so I don't know squat about it....but might be up for some lessons sometime. :confused:

.270Win
Depending on the machine, if you are loading on a single stage press (loading 1 at a time), it could take 5 to 10 hours to load 1000 rounds. On my progressive (doing 8 operations per pull of the handle), I can load ~1000 per hour.

Although it is dark, here is a video of a guy loading on a Dillon 1050 like I use. Every pull of the handle turns out a loaded round. This will give you an idea of how fast you can load on a progressive machine...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ebp92p9qjf4

He loaded 23 rounds in 60 seconds, which averages out to 1380 rounds per hour. Actual round count would be lower because you would have to stop and replenish powder and primers, but you get the idea anyway.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.