.22 scope

Discussion in 'Small Game and Bird Hunting' started by rowdyrabbit, Jan 7, 2018.

1. rowdyrabbit

rowdyrabbit Well-Known Member

Do you use a variable or fixed power scope on a .22? I'm looking for a new scope for an old Model 60. I've always used variable scopes in the past, but I don't know that I ever recall changing the power when hunting. I know that obviously the advantage to the variable power is the variable power. What advantage does the fixed power have, if any?

Thanks

2. buckhorn

buckhorn Well-Known Member

I have the 2-7 x 35 vortex diamondback on a cz 452. It generally stays on 3 or 4 but I like the option to zoom in a little closure. A piece of moss can turn into a squirrel tail and a funny shaped piece of bark can turn into a ear real quick at higher power.

Onetrakd and N8HARNER like this.

3. Arkie_3_fan

Arkie_3_fan Well-Known Member

I've got both, but on the 10/22 Target model that I use when hunting with dogs, I have a Nikon Monarch 4-16 power. I like the ability to have a wide field of view when squirrels are on the move and then zoom in when hunting for squirrels that are hiding and holding tight in the trees and vines.
    That being said, most of the time when I'm squirrel hunting, I have my binoculars with me to help find the squirrels.

4. Have gun will travel

Have gun will travel Well-Known Member

3x9 on the CZ here & I leave it at 9. The CZ will dot their eye & it's easier if it looks as big as a saucer.

5. Buck-Ridge

Buck-Ridge Well-Known Member

The advantage of fixed power is you won't have any zoom error and most 22 shooting is precision shooting.

6. Reaper22

Reaper22 Well-Known Member

I've had no problems shooting fixed as long as the glass is decent

7. Dmille5

Dmille5 Well-Known Member

LEUPOLD 2x7 RIMFIRE,i keep on 4 power

8. dogwood

dogwood Well-Known Member

NWA
    Mueller all the way. Great glass. Great price. You can buy as fancy as you would like.

9. bareacres

bareacres Member

Fixed is usually a better buy dollar for dollar as their is less going into them. And less in them is less to mess up. Consider something in the 2x range. Or even a red dot or reflex sight. They work amazing as long as you get a 3 moa or smaller dot. Almost no weight and they are super easy to find your furry little target. If you are blessed with a little money a red dot with a 3x flip out magnifier is the best of both worlds. In all my years i have always found 3x as much as i would want for small game. Had a little 2.5x once and it was a little piece of Heaven.

10. I have a Nikon prostaff 4X on a 10-22 that I squirrel hunt with. it is a dandy.

11. TripleOG

TripleOG Well-Known Member

I have a Nikon Prostaff 3-9x40. Very clear glass. I have rarely gone passed 4x on the magnification unless there is something far off I’m trying to get a better look at. Mine is sighted in at 50 yards and rarely do I need more that 4x for a 50 yard shot.