.22 Magnum OR .17 HMR

• .22 Magnum

Votes: 21 80.8%
  • .17 HMR

Votes: 5 19.2%
21 - 40 of 50 Posts

Registered
22 mag Winchester 40 gr jhp.
Just got a ruger 17 hmr. Topped with a Hawk Vantage IR 4x12x40AO 17 hmr scope. I have shot targets out to 225 yds. Never hunted with it. I bought it to take bobcat calling. Shooting 20 gr xtp out of it. Fixing to order another Hawke Vantage IR 4x12x40AO in 22 mag scope. Both has BDC nice little scopes.

Registered
I would pick a 22 Mag for animals that big. I am sure they have both been killed with a 17. I shot a coyote a few years ago with a .50 ML. broadside through the ribs right behind the front leg. Coyote never flinched. took off running. Blood trailed it 150 yards. Alive and snarling when I found it. Driving deer with a couple of friends and ran a bobcat out. The blocker shot it with his 30-06. It ran. When we finished the drive He and I started blood trailing the bobcat. It charged him. He emptied his 30-06 at it coming at him snarling and growling. there were just strings and guts hanging from the ribcage back. 1 front leg gone. It had 1 leg left and was still dragging itself toward him in full attack mode. Of course it died. But I would go bigger as a dedicated rifle for stuff that bites you. I am aware of another guy that shot a bobcat with a mini14 and crippled it. He trailed it and it ended up on his head. Ripped his throat out with it's claws and almost killed him. We were on the next club and heard the shots and screaming, truck driving fast through the woods. Heard the story later from a guy in our club from Walnut Ridge.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #26 ·
22 mag Winchester 40 gr jhp.
Just got a ruger 17 hmr. Topped with a Hawk Vantage IR 4x12x40AO 17 hmr scope. I have shot targets out to 225 yds. Never hunted with it. I bought it to take bobcat calling. Shooting 20 gr xtp out of it. Fixing to order another Hawke Vantage IR 4x12x40AO in 22 mag scope. Both has BDC nice little scopes.
That sounds like a good combo!

Registered
I am aware of another guy that shot a bobcat with a mini14 and crippled it. He trailed it and it ended up on his head. Ripped his throat out with it's claws and almost killed him. We were on the next club and heard the shots and screaming, truck driving fast through the woods. Heard the story later from a guy in our club from Walnut Ridge.
A lot of people from Walnut Ridge are windy

Registered
I do alot of calling in some thick stuff for bobcats and grey fox. I use my 22 mag with a Winchester 40 gr jhp. I bought a 17 hmr to have one. That being said i am going to try it on a bobcat or grey fox . Keep the shot under a 100 yds or less. Because most places i cant shoot 75 yds or less. The only bullets i would try on one would be a 20 gr xtp or the fmj. I bought several boxes of the 20 gr xtp . I watched several videos doing test seeing which 17 hmr bullet had the best penetration. And it was the 20 gr xtp and fmj. But if i was going after coyotes. Both guns would be left at home. I would carry my 204 ruger or my 22 250 .

21 - 40 of 50 Posts