.22 Magnum OR .17 HMR

• .22 Magnum

Votes: 18 78.3%
  • .17 HMR

Votes: 5 21.7%
1 - 20 of 48 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Do you prefer .22 Magnum OR .17 HMR? With all this talk of coyotes and bobcats, I would like to know! Also, what ammo brand do you prefer to use when shooting the caliber you choose above, and what kind of bullet is your go-to (I.e. V-Max, JSP, JHP, etc).

Premium Member
Plenty of those two animals killed with both of those but honestly, neither is ideal. Move to a centerfire cartridge if you'd like to be more sure of a one shot one kill.

And before the haters start in, yes, I know either will work but neither has the foot lbs of energy to adequately anchor a coyote consistently without absolute perfect bullet placement.

Registered
If I was targeting coyotes/bobcats specifically I would go centerfire, 22-250 is my favorite, but I generally shoot them with whatever is in my hand, killed quite a few with a 22 mag, 22lr and even a 17M2... if using a rimfire I always aim for a head shot. I did bust one with a 45 caliber muzzleloader last weekend and it was quite effective I must say.

I've never owned a 17HMR so between the two you mentioned id have to lean to the 22 mag with a JSP or JHP bullet, but still aim for the head. Just not enough power to efficiently kill with body shots. sure they will die but you may not find them, that may or may not be a big deal to you... coyotes are tough little critters.

Premium Member
Unless I'm wrong, and please correct me if I am, at 50 yds there's only 40 to 50 ft.lbs of energy difference in the two. Not exactly a huge difference at the end of the day.

.17 is flatter shooting and .22 mag hits a little harder.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Unless I'm wrong, and please correct me if I am, at 50 yds there's only 40 to 50 ft.lbs of energy difference in the two. Not exactly a huge difference at the end of the day.

.17 is flatter shooting and .22 mag hits a little harder.
Yes鈥 you are correct on both accounts

Premium Member
The wind is the Problem..any wind behond 50 Yards is an iffie Shot..on the 17.. Now the 22 mag..wind doesn't bother it..

Registered
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
The wind is the Problem..any wind behond 50 Yards is an iffie Shot..on the 17.. Now the 22 mag..wind doesn't bother it..
That is a valid concern! My rifle is topped with a Vortex Diamondback Tactical 3-9x40 scope, and it is a BDC style so that helps

Registered
Think I could Turkey hunt with the 17..Wood be Deadly,
I鈥檝e 鈥渉eard鈥 it will flat out kill a gobbler.
I鈥檝e got both and probably haven鈥檛 shot a box of ammo between the two in the last 3-4 years.
Both are too much gun for squirrels and cost too much to just shoot for fun.
I usually carry the .22mag with me in case I see a hog, but a 17 or the msg should be plenty for yotes and smaller predators.

1 - 20 of 48 Posts