Arkansas Hunting banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Premium Member
18,478 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, I have been trying to find some Lil'Gun (locally) to no avail. As a matter of fact, I cannot find any of the Hornet powders listed in my Hornady manual (8th edition). I am going to run over to Bass Pro tomorrow on my lunch hour and see what they have. I have read a bunch of stuff on the web about loading for the Hornet, but I would really like to stick to published loads or at least first hand knowledge from our members.

I did read a very interesting article where the author got some of his best groups with Scotts 4100, but it was out of a silhouette pistol with a 10" barrel. I know I cannot use his load data. It is a good read though, so here is the link: http://www.lasc.us/rangingshot22hornet.htm

I am shooting a NEF Handi Rifle and I want to load 40gr Vmax and 50gr Vmax (those are the bullets I can find).

So...what powders are you guys using to load your Hornets?

·
Registered
337 Posts
I'm just a rookie but, I've loaded some hornets for my dad. We used 35 gr vmax's with Lil' Gun and H110. I've found both locally. (searcy area)

·
Registered
241 Posts
I have good luck with Lil' gun and 40 grain NBTs. I use 12.8 gr to start and worked up to 13. I use in Ruger 77 and is good for 175 yard with tennis ball size group at that distance. The only brass I have had any luck with is Winchester. The others are too soft to hold with neck sizing only.

·
Registered
4,051 Posts
I've loaded the Hornet with 296, H110, 2400, and Blue Dot. I've also seen it loaded with 332, 335, and 680. I've only loaded for the Hornet in specialty pistols and generally treated it as a pistol cartridge. I've also shot it through a Winchester 43 and would probably look at Lil Gun or 296 if I was loading for a rifle.

·
Administrator
74,974 Posts
Several years ago Chris Hodgdon of Hodgdon Powders confirmed that W296 and H110 were the same powders. If you can find either you will be able to load.

·
Premium Member
18,478 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks for all the input guys. I am going to run over to Bass Pro and see what they have. I will report back what I find.

·
Registered
4,051 Posts
Several years ago Chris Hodgdon of Hodgdon Powders confirmed that W296 and H110 were the same powders. If you can find either you will be able to load.
I didn't know there was any doubt about this. I've always understood them to be same powder, different can. I've always loaded them identically. 296 has generally been easier for me to get my hands on over the years.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts