.22 ar upper

Discussion in 'Guns, Ammunition, and Reloading' started by Bryan Manning, Dec 23, 2012.

1. Bryan Manning

Bryan Manning Well-Known Member

Got a couple of questions. First can I convert my s&w ar15 with just an upper? If so what do I need to do it and can they still be found for a good price?

2. Mr. Chitlin

Mr. Chitlin Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

NE Ark
    You have a couple of options using your existing rifle.

First you can buy an insert that replaces the bolt and carrier. Before the rush, they could be had for ~$175, give or take a little. I had one and shot no telling how many rounds thru it and it gives acceptable accuracy. You generally don't get match accuracy because most 22 LR barrels are 1/16 twist and you won't get as good accuracy out of the 1/9 and 1/7 barrels that are common in today's AR's. It you want cheap trigger time and decent accuracy this is the cheapest way to go.

Here's what it looks like next to the botl carrier. The only other thing needed is a brand specific mag. Seems like every manufacturer has mags specific to their particulat conversion kit.

[​IMG]

Here's some from CMMG. They get good reviews online.

http://www.cmmginc.com/category_s/1851.htm

The second option is a replacement upper. It will cost quite a bit more than the insert at probably $400 and up. It will also have the correct twist rate and proper chamber for 22LR and if you are wanting it for anything more than cheap plinking time (ie: hunting, match target shooting, etc) it will be the gbetter way to go. This conversion will look identical to a centerfire upper.

A third option would be to purchase a dedicated rifle. S&W makes a great rifle in their 15-22 as do others. I have a 15-22 that was ~$400 new a year ago. There are probably none to be found right now.

3. Bryan Manning

Bryan Manning Well-Known Member

Thanks mr. C was just looking for cheap plinking with out shooting a bunch of .223/5.56 ammo. Got a ruger 10/22 that has killed countless squirrel so don't need a hunting rifle. With bolt and carrier is there any worry messing up the barrel or anything.

4. Mr. Chitlin

NE Ark
    No worry at all. I shot thousands and thousands of rounds thru mine. I always finished by running a few centerfires thru the gun to clean out the gas port just in case a little lead or rimfire powder residue got in the gas tube.

Rimfire is a soft lead bullet vs 4140 or 4150 barrel steel.

5. alexanderg23

alexanderg23 Well-Known Member

NWA
    I one of those inserts also. Ran great with Blackdog mags and federal bulk. Box I always ran some 223 through it also clean out gas port and tube. But a gunsmith with I trust said they would eventually clog gas port and tube, but......I've never heard any reports. If I was going to do it again, which I want, I'd probably just buy the insert again. And maybe have a 223 upper I dedicate it too. Now that I think about, I wonder if there is a gas regulator that could help keep he tube clean, think someone makes a switch block.

6. Have gun will travel

Have gun will travel Well-Known Member

White Co
    I have the CMMG conversion and am quite happy with it. I don't even know how many cheap remington .22 LR has been put down that barrel but it's been alot. Just clean everything when I get home and the rifle is good to go.

7. Mbpike

Mbpike Well-Known Member

if you're looking for cheap then I'd go the conversion route. If you want to spend more then you will be more then happy with a dedicated .22 upper. I have a CMMG and I love it.

8. Mr. Chitlin

NE Ark
    I have had a conversion kit and now have a S&W 15-22. Both have seemed to run best on the Federal Bulk pack ammo. It seems to have a little more pointed bullet that aids in feeding.

The S&W 15-22 instruction manual states that Remington bulk pack ammo is not recommended.