Arkansas Hunting banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,600 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am saving up to buy a TC Pro Hunter and I am trying to decide which caliber (.22-250 or .25-06) to get. I think both would be good for varmit hunting and the .25-06 would be ok for deer hunting. I have a couple of .30 cals already for the deer hunting, so that part is not real important to my decision. How do these two calibers stack up to one another? Has anyone used either of these two? Any information you can provide would be greatly benificial.
Sportsmanetc

·
Administrator
89,103 Posts
My son and I shoot 25/06's. When you speak of "varmints" are you talking prairie dogs and crows or coyotes. If you speaking of the former, the 25 will be not only over kill on the varmints, but also over kill on your shoulder and wallet for high volume shooting. If you are speaking of coyotes, the 25/06 will literally just about cut a coyote in half. We shoot 100 grain ballistic tips at a little over 3300 fps and use this for deer and the occasional coyote that crosses our path. The 25/06 ammo will be considerably more expensive, whether you reload or buy factory ammo.

I don't own a 22/250 but do own several 223's. The recoil is non-existent for all practical purposes, and you can enjoy a day of high volume shooting without pounding the shoulder too hard. It sounds like you have the deer caliber taken care of, maybe it's time to get a lighter recoiling rifle that is more pleasurable to shoot, although the recoil on the 25/06 isn't bad at all.

·
Registered
1,600 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I am kind of leaning towards the .22-250 for the varmints (mainly yotes). Mr. C, are the 100 grain ballistic tips (3300 fps) reloads or factory? The reason I was concidering the .25-06 was to use it as a crossover rifle. Cutting a yote in half with one shot would be pretty intense though. Thanks for the info guys. Still debating.
Sportsmanetc

·
Administrator
89,103 Posts
The loads I am speaking of are reloads. I've never shot or chrono'd factory loads in 25/06, so I can't tell you anything about them. It would make a superb rifle for both yotes and deer, but is way over kill for yotes. One thing though, it'll reach out there and touch 'em.

·
Member<br>2011 Turkey Contest Winner<br>2011-2012
801 Posts
:up:I have several guns and if I could keep only one it would be my 22-250.I have killed a ton of coyotes with this gun.300 yds.in a trot just hold it on em and squeeze.It is too small to be shooting deer with in my opinion...Ruger mark II....Good luck......:up:

·
Suspended Indefinitely
2,957 Posts
I have a 25/06 and it is great for deer. Long range for the plains where we hunt. The recoil is light for a long range deer gun, but I wouldn't want to shoot it at prarie dogs all day long. A couple of boxes is all I would want to shoot at one time.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.