Arkansas Hunting banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

· Registered
2,898 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just wondering if it is legal to take small game with these new high powered air rifles.....these ain't your daddy's red ryder these guns push pellets faster than any air gun I remember as a kid.:fit:

· Premium Member
11,478 Posts
Mr. C., Gamo keeps advertising their hi-powered air rifles with a supressor, makes me wonder if they're not speaking directly to your immediate need...:biggrin:

Big Dog, I remember dad had a Daisy Powerline pumper-upper when I was a kid, and the buzz amongst us young hooligans was that if you were to keep pumping it up past the recommended 10-pump limit, if would eventually shoot as hard as a .22. That was heresay then, the new ones can actually deliver on that promise.

With the kids in the backyard shooting my old Daisy mod. 99, I may have to get me a new air rifle and join them! :clap:

· Registered
2,898 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
hunting university show!!

reason why I asked is,I was watching Hunting University and they hunted squirrels with and the guy popped and flopped a bobcat with one...sure impressed the heck outta me:eek:

· Premium Member<br>2009 Turkey Contest Winner<br>20
11,530 Posts
One tip if you buy one of these break barrels. I learned this the hard way as a kid :smack: Never pull the trigger if the barrel is bent over.:smack::smack: The result is a bent barrel and a broken stock :smack:

· Registered
70 Posts
I've been thinking about getting one to. Most of the ones I have seen have a recoil pad on them. I don't even have one on my 12 ga. Do these guns actually have a recoil strong enough to need one? I live in a developement and saw a rabbit in my yard the other day. My .31 acre could become my own private game preserve with a good pellet gun.:thumb:

· Registered
14,538 Posts
I've got a Daisy break-barrrel air rifle that's probably near 10 yrs old. It doesnt shoot as hot as a lot of these ones you can get now, but it's pretty good. It will smooth lay a squirrel to rest. I've kill opossums with it. Raccoons are usually a little too hard headed for it, but I did knock one out of a tree from about 40 ft up and that one didnt fair as well.
It's sitting next to the back door with a flashlight duct-taped to the barrel right now.

· Premium Member
11,478 Posts
Mr. C's comment about .22 shorts made me think of an experiment we conducted in the back room of an auto parts store after hours with several witnesses, and some were even sober. Well, a couple of us, anyway.

We duct-taped stacks of old parts catalogs tightly together and shot them with various .22's: CB's, Shorts, and long rifles.

As you might guess the CB's didn't penetrate too far, only about three inches or so into the tightly packed paper. The shorts went about twice as far, but the LR's didn't really go too much farther than the shorts! Maybe an inch farther, probably less on average.

So, if an air rifle can shoot as hard as a .22 short, that's plenty good enough for squirrels. I'd like to have seen that shot on the Bobcat, Big Dog! :thumb:

· Premium Member
12,224 Posts
I have the Gamo Whisper - 1200 fps with the special "gold" tipped pellets and they will definitely kill a squirrel if hit properly - it is a break barrel type and has the "silencer" on the barrel - quiet on the shooters end? Nope - bout as loud as a normal .22 - might be quieter on the receiving end. Mine even has a 3x9 variable scope that came with it.

· Administrator
90,822 Posts
I have the Gamo Whisper - 1200 fps with the special "gold" tipped pellets and they will definitely kill a squirrel if hit properly - it is a break barrel type and has the "silencer" on the barrel - quiet on the shooters end? Nope - bout as loud as a normal .22 - might be quieter on the receiving end. Mine even has a 3x9 variable scope that came with it.
If uou don't mind me asking, what's the price range of these??

1200 FPS is in the high velocity 22LR range. Standard velocity 22LR runs ~1050FPS. This is with a 40 grain bullet, though.

· Administrator
90,822 Posts
As you might guess the CB's didn't penetrate too far, only about three inches or so into the tightly packed paper. The shorts went about twice as far, but the LR's didn't really go too much farther than the shorts! Maybe an inch farther, probably less on average.

So, if an air rifle can shoot as hard as a .22 short, that's plenty good enough for squirrels. I'd like to have seen that shot on the Bobcat, Big Dog! :thumb:
I have shot raccoons in my attic with 22CB caps. Between the eyes, DRT!! :biggrin:

· Registered
984 Posts
I WAS WATCHING ONE OF THE OUTDOOR CHANNELS A WHILE BACK AND IT SHOWED A GUY TAKE A HOG WITH ONE OF THE GAMO AIR RIFLES, KNOCKED HIM FLAT WITH ONE SHOT TO THE HEAD, HE WAS ALSO SHOOTING SOME PRARIE DOGS WITH IT ON THE SAME SHOW, PRETTY IMPRESSIVE. IVE GOT ONE OF THE DAISYS WITH THE BREAK DOWN BARREL AND IT WILL KNOCK A FOX SQUIRREL OUT OF THE TOP OF A TALL TREE. SAYS IT WILL SHOOT 1200 FPS:up::clap:

· Premium Member
12,224 Posts
Chitlin - from Gamo they are $280 plus ten or fifteen shipping. Sportsmans Guide has them for about $215 if yer a club member plus shipping.

I did a google search on "gamo whisper" and found mine for $225 that included shipping.

The 3x9 variable scope comes with it in addition to 100 pellets. You can buy 100 pellets at Wally World for $4.95 plus tax - or at Academy Sports for 6.95 or at Gander Mtn for 9.95 - take yer pick!

· Administrator
90,822 Posts
Chitlin - from Gamo they are $280 plus ten or fifteen shipping. Sportsmans Guide has them for about $215 if yer a club member plus shipping.

I did a google search on "gamo whisper" and found mine for $225 that included shipping.

The 3x9 variable scope comes with it in addition to 100 pellets. You can buy 100 pellets at Wally World for $4.95 plus tax - or at Academy Sports for 6.95 or at Gander Mtn for 9.95 - take yer pick!
Hey, that isn't bad at all!! I might just have to hint to Santa about something under the tree!! :thumb:

· Registered
39 Posts
I have many types of air guns they are my favorite squirrel weapon. Umarex USA in fort smith has many types of air guns including RWS its a very high quality line of air guns made in Germany. You can even get a demo air gun alot cheaper too. I bought a gamo not very impressed with the accuracy.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.