Arkansas Hunting banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone shot this caliber? I am thinking about buying one for yote hunting, and would like some opinions.
Thanks in advanced for your comments.

Larry

·
Premium Member
17,142 Posts
I don't have one,But I have heard a lot of good things about it.Larry Weishun on some tv show killed bunch of deer wih his.A really fast flat shooter.

·
Registered
623 Posts
i have read some stuff about them and talked to several people who have shot them. i have only heard good things though. the only reason i don't want one is because i couldn't deer hunt with it here....i mean if a .22 hornet is legal, why isn't a .204?

·
Registered
23,356 Posts
I haven't shot one and haven't heard much about them but what little I have heard was good. As far as the comments about deer hunting with one....

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I'm not sure I would want to deer hunt with one, I think it would be a little lite for deer.
I killed my first deer with a 22 Hornet though, shot through the head and didn't move.
I only want to hunt yotes and other varmits with the .204

·
Administrator
81,471 Posts
Have you priced ammo for it compared to the more common predator calibers, ie 223, 22/250, etc??

Do you handload by chance?

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Wally World has the Winchester .204 for $17 and some change, I don't know what the others sell for. I don't reload but from what I have read reloaders can't acheeve the numbers that a factory load can because the powder is blended.

·
Registered
3,899 Posts
Easy there Possum, you about to have a stroke?? I have reloaded for 30 years but could never better the velocities and accuracy of Hornady Light Magnums in my 308.:cool:

·
Registered
23,356 Posts
Mule man, but how many other rifles have you loaded for that you couldn't beat the accuracy of factory loads?

OH, and I was able to get stopped before I hurt myself, all it took was looking at my taxes again. Now I'm :frown:

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
With a little research I found two reloads that hit 4300fps. That was 27gr Accruate 2015BR with a 30gr Berger bullet, and 27gr Vihtavuori N130 with a 30 gr bullet. Unless you are an avid reloader why would you even try to beat a factory loaded Hornady 32gr bullet at 4225fps? I am not a reloader myself so I am not trying to start a debate, just asking why.

Larry

·
Registered
23,356 Posts
It isn't always about speed. I'll take a load that's a little slower if it's more accurate. And I wasn't really looking for a debate either but I did find it humorous. It's my dream to someday shoot a perfect 5 round, 4 leaf clover @ 100 yards.

Sorry if I may have offended ya treestand, that wasn't my intentions at all.:thumb:

·
Administrator
81,471 Posts
I would have a few concerns about the 204. With the factory ballistics showing 4200 fps with a 32 grain bullet, it would make you wonder about barrel life. Granted, you might not shoot the rifle 100 rounds a year, and if that is so, then you probably wouldn't shoot out the barrel. If you shoot 1K or more a year, the barrel may have a life of just a few years. Kind of brings back memories of the overbored rounds that we see on the market, the 264 Win Mag is a prime example. Great idea on paper, but not good for extended shooing sessions and long barrel life.

I guess the gun and ammo companies don't like a guy like me. I look at the tried and true rounds that have been here a while and have a track record. What would scare me about purchasing a caliber that is new on the market is that if sales don't pick up after a few years, the chance of the round being dropped from production is a real possibility. From there, hand loading and paying outrageous prices for components is the only way to enjoy your toy. You only have to look in the annals of firearms and cartridge history to see the road littered with good ideas that never made it. I just really can't see the 204 doing anything that a half dozen rounds already on the market can't do.

But heck, that's what makes the shooting world go around. You'll never know if you like it without getting one and putting it through its paces. :thumb:

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
No offense taken Possum. Was just stating what I had read about the caliber. I probably wouldn't shoot more than a couple hundred rounds a year through it as I don't shoot like I used too. I agree about the longevity of the caliber but it might end up being a great conservation piece. :jiggy:

Larry

·
Registered
23,356 Posts
Just think of all the ammo your tax money could have bought... :biggrin:
Go ahead and give that knife just one more little twist why don't ya. :eek:

No offense taken Possum. Was just stating what I had read about the caliber. I probably wouldn't shoot more than a couple hundred rounds a year through it as I don't shoot like I used too. I agree about the longevity of the caliber but it might end up being a great conservation piece. :jiggy:

Larry
OK, that's the part I didn't get. :smack:

·
Registered
913 Posts
I have a Browning A bolt Hunter in the .204 with a Burris 4.5x12 on it. Its a crows worse nightmare. The last one that I shot fell in 3 pieces. This caliber has very little recoil, so you can see your critters explode in the scope. My favorite factory load so far is the 39 grain Federal Blitzkings.

I also had a Savage .204 that was very accurate.

·
Registered
913 Posts
I might would sell mine. Like I said, Its a Browning Abolt Hunter, Burris 4.5 X 14 Fullfield II Ballistic Plex, and Leupold bases and rings. I've shot about 60 rounds through it. Make me an offer.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts