Arkansas Hunting banner
1 - 20 of 47 Posts

·
Registered
1,682 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I got asked about this in another forum, and I know a few members on here drew WY tags this year. Don’t beat me up too bad on the quality of my harvest photo, and disregard any shadow you see. When I walked up on this harvest, which was Saturday, it was starting to rain, accompanied by a customary WY 40 MPH+ wind gust, as I was within a mile of the Continental Divide Trail. It was hard to hold binoculars steady, regardless of how hard you pressed them against you. These factors must have made me forget all about a picture, until I started to pack it out. And it wasn’t a whopper, to make me feel bad about forgetting to. This area, like many Western states this year was suffering from drought conditions, that impacted many species’ scores. I started the Euro mount process, so including a different angle. The pronghorn is probably the animal you want to do a Euro on, the fastest, because you then get to see another inch of sheath, that their hair naturally hides, LOL. Good luck to all who drew this year.

Head Eye Nature Deer Horn

Sky Plant Tree Sculpture Wood

Attachments

·
Registered
1,682 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
How was the general population in your area?
There seemed to be a good population, and I saw a lot of single bucks( and single bucks were numerous in just about every unit I drove through. The biologist for the area, plus a warden I ran into,both told me the buck to doe ratio was high, and it was obvious. They were collecting the incisors at check stations, and I was told this was at least a 4 year old, and would know, if older, when the teeth were further examined.

·
Registered
1,682 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Oh man. I really want to hunt those! I've heard the meat is tasty!
It is. I used Swampcat’s recipe for the first backstrap meal, which you marinade, butterfly, stuff with cream cheese and jalapeño, bacon wrap and grill. You know these animals have never had a grain of corn in their life, and you wonder how they can taste so good, coming from a sagebrush habitat.

·
Registered
27,834 Posts
It is. I used Swampcat’s recipe for the first backstrap meal, which you marinade, butterfly, stuff with cream cheese and jalapeño, bacon wrap and grill. You know these animals have never had a grain of corn in their life, and you wonder how they can taste so good, coming from a sagebrush habitat.
I dunno, but I ate 10 of 'em. Larrupin'!!!! Sweet meat.

I didn't marinade the meat at all.......never do. Just same old cut pieces, hammered, fried. Darker than deer so I thought it'd be gamey-er. It wasn't. Shooting those things was the most fun I've had with my clothes on. I have no idea what they eat. Each blade of grass is 25 feet from the next blade.

·
Registered
611 Posts
I'd be proud of it because I have never hunted those before. Would love to hunt them. Congratulations on a successful hunt.

·
Registered
606 Posts
Randy Newburg says that as long as you get it skinned and gutted fast and let it cool down it can be some of the best meat ever. but because of their quick twitch muscles and usually them running after the shot and the type of terrain (warm and wide open) they get hot fast and can get gamey if the blood/meat stays in the hide too long.

·
Registered
97 Posts
There seemed to be a good population, and I saw a lot of single bucks( and single bucks were numerous in just about every unit I drove through. The biologist for the area, plus a warden I ran into,both told me the buck to doe ratio was high, and it was obvious. They were collecting the incisors at check stations, and I was told this was at least a 4 year old, and would know, if older, when the teeth were further examined.
What part of the state were you in? I'm headed somewhere between Chyenne and Laramie next week. Be my first go round with em.

1 - 20 of 47 Posts