Arkansas Hunting banner
61 - 80 of 278 Posts

·
Premium Member
27,859 Posts
Can you have too much bait? I am not hunting this year but am helping SIL with the baits. We started using dog food and corn, honey and syrup. Two baits. Sow and cubs on one and a small loan bear and a decent bear on the other bait. Activity pretty much throughout the day and night. Last Thursday, SIL packed the barrel with bread and some pastries. Still one barrel of corn and dog food. Looks like the are only hitting bread and pastries - but quit coming in daytime and only there half as much at night now. Are they able to fill up too easily now?

·
Registered
5,373 Posts
Can you have too much bait? I am not hunting this year but am helping SIL with the baits. We started using dog food and corn, honey and syrup. Two baits. Sow and cubs on one and a small loan bear and a decent bear on the other bait. Activity pretty much throughout the day and night. Last Thursday, SIL packed the barrel with bread and some pastries. Still one barrel of corn and dog food. Looks like the are only hitting bread and pastries - but quit coming in daytime and only there half as much at night now. Are they able to fill up too easily now?
I had some neighboring landowners start baiting the last week or so. My visits have dropped dramatically and they’re mentioning seeing activity at their sites.

·
Premium Member
27,859 Posts
I had some neighboring landowners start baiting the last week or so. My visits have dropped dramatically and they’re mentioning seeing activity at their sites.
that is a possibility - coincidental that it occurred right when we overwhelmed them with bread and pastries

·
Registered
559 Posts
I don’t think so Swamp.

Im know expert but I haven’t noticed feedbing too much. I think they will only eat what they want to then leave, my experience is they come back pretty quick. I think if you had too much and your bait went bad like the moldy bread or rancid That could be a problem.

I think it’s possible they may get tired of eating the same bait. I first started baiting with mostly corn and dog food , sugar and syrup on 1 barrel a few years ago.

I had a few bears get on the bait but didn’t stay there long. Eventually they completely abandoned the bait. I’m pretty sure they went to the neighboring lease bait sites. I found a new source for bread and pastries and went that route. I got way more beers and they would stay there all night. That’s what I use now. I think They will eat for hours then leave to go get some water and other bears will come in. They might even leave to go to the other bait sites but they seem to come back pretty quick and will stay for hours.

I’m not sure why but it took a week for them to come in. I would think they could smell that stuff but nothing happened so I I came back a week later with some grease additive from Northwoods, a bear bomb, anise extract on a rag And vanilla extract all in/over my bait. Had them show up that eve and they have been there ever since .

·
Registered
34 Posts
Mine is more like Swamp. Was wondering if others have this issue or it is acorns or heat or dry - but last year, using same bait, I had six or seven uniques bears and a lot in daytime. Had to fill four bags every three days. But now almost nothing. The two bears I posed earlier from last week, and only at night. Now nothing. I only filled one bag Saturday. (I have cell camera - nothing since doing all the scent stuff again Saturday.)

When the big female came in, she would eat for a couple of hours. But where are they? Just finding enough acorns and don't care?

Is there hope I can pull them in next two weeks?

TONS of raccoons at night and crows in daytime setting off this camera. Its only down side. :)

·
Registered
5,373 Posts
Mine is more like Swamp. Was wondering if others have this issue or it is acorns or heat or dry - but last year, using same bait, I had six or seven uniques bears and a lot in daytime. Had to fill four bags every three days. But now almost nothing. The two bears I posed earlier from last week, and only at night. Now nothing. I only filled one bag Saturday. (I have cell camera - nothing since doing all the scent stuff again Saturday.)

When the big female came in, she would eat for a couple of hours. But where are they? Just finding enough acorns and don't care?

Is there hope I can pull them in next two weeks?

TONS of raccoons at night and crows in daytime setting off this camera. Its only down side. :)
The damn raccoons are thick after the bears disappeared. They might be the size of a bear before season starts.

·
Registered
22,382 Posts
Discussion Starter · #69 ·
my experience is every bait area is different - I had a guy last year put a corn feeder in below a bait barrel and the bears never came back - I've had bears up and quit cold for I assume acorns falling reason but who knows?

my best bear last year would come at noon one day, 2 days later at 1 am, 3 days later at 6pm and the next day at 7 am ... absolutely NO consistency to that bear

just bait and do the best we can do - i'm not overbaiting this year, I expect both barrels to be completely empty on Friday when I refill

·
Registered
6,819 Posts
Slowest start for me since I started really baiting bears in 2018. They only ate 55gal of bait in 7 days. I had 3 drums full for them. Acorns everywhere

·
Registered
4,580 Posts
Why not put some corn mash out along with your baits?. Corn, sugar, yeast, water...? Get 'em drunk and lazy and hanging out looking for the next round?

Seriously. Is that not fair game?
Man, a mash works great. I didn’t have time to brew a batch early on so I mixed a couple gallons of Everclear with 50# of corn. Now instead of leaving every couple hours they sit around and eat corn till they pass out.
Doesn’t bother me a bit to shoot a hungover bear.
Black-and-white Flash photography Monochrome photography Snout Monochrome
Style Tints and shades Flash photography Wood Monochrome

·
Registered
2,927 Posts
The guy hunting my place has more bears than we've ever seen. All sizes. Sow with 3 cubs, sow with 1 cub, 2 xls ( 1 has a tag) a couple of mediums (1 has a big white chest patch) and smalls. Filling the barrel every 3-4 days. Ive got a feeder set up about 3/4 mile away and Ive got a big old mangy bear coming in every day about 600 and staying until 730. We are getting almost as many daytime pics as night.

·
Registered
118 Posts
I am fairly excited about my lease I got this year in Arkansas. I only have what appears to be 2 bears hitting the bait but at least I have that for now..
I am tickled pink about being able to bear hunt in September. My baits in Oklahoma are getting hit hard still but it seems like a long time until Oct. 1st. My goal this year is for my 8 year old son to get a bear.

·
Member<br>2012-13 Bowhunting Contest Winner<br>201
2,089 Posts
We have several decent bears hitting our second bait this year
We had this nice big boar show up yesterday eve
Not a giant but a nice 350lber
My wife Candace is hoping for a shot at him next Saturday eve
Wood Mesh Rectangle Flooring Line

61 - 80 of 278 Posts