Arkansas Hunting banner
41 - 60 of 278 Posts

·
Registered
4,580 Posts
That’s a good looking bear Swamp. Hope you can hang onto him until season opens.

·
Registered
559 Posts
Is it common for a sow to have 3 cubs?

Plant Ecoregion People in nature Natural landscape Tree
Plant People in nature Green Tree Natural landscape

Also, they didn’t hang around long. I wondered if the big one that was there most of the night before was nearby .

·
Registered
4,580 Posts
Is it common for a sow to have 3 cubs?

View attachment 327819 View attachment 327820

Also, they didn’t hang around long. I wondered if the big one that was there most of the night before was nearby .
I’ve had a couple of sows show up with three cubs. I don’t think its common but its not all that uncommon.
That’s a good mama if she can raise three. She must have gone into the den in good shape last year.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Slow start for me too. I have two so far. And very nocturnal. Lots of pics in middle of the night. Hope they get comfortable.

I opened bait last Friday and refilled (only needed half) yesterday. Looks like young one and a bigger one. Had seven unique ones (two were cubs) last year.

My temporary spider web sticks work well too. :)

Wheel Tire Plant Vehicle Automotive tire

Carnivore Grass Fawn Tree Adaptation

Plant Black Carnivore Style Tree

·
Member<br>2012-13 Bowhunting Contest Winner<br>201
2,089 Posts
Slow start for me too. I have two so far. And very nocturnal. Lots of pics in middle of the night. Hope they get comfortable.

I opened bait last Friday and refilled (only needed half) yesterday. Looks like young one and a bigger one. Had seven unique ones (two were cubs) last year.

My temporary spider web sticks work well too. :)

View attachment 327900

View attachment 327901

View attachment 327902
That too bear is a nice bear
Looks like decent chocolate boar
Bottom bear is big pot bellied sow

·
Registered
4,580 Posts
That too bear is a nice bear
Looks like decent chocolate boar
Bottom bear is big pot bellied sow
jhatch what are you looking at to tell that one is a sow? I agree that it looks like a sow but sometimes I have a hard time telling a big sow from a boar if I can’t get a height reference. I haven’t seen one that I’d call a sow that was as tall as a barrel.
In that picture I see a light front end compared to the back making it kind of pear shaped and the head isn’t very blocky but I’ve seen tall, long legged boars that were quite a bit heavier in the back. Some bears just look to me like a female and I can’t necessarily pin it to one specific characteristic. Is that what you’re looking at or am I missing something?

·
2,089 Posts
jhatch what are you looking at to tell that one is a sow? I agree that it looks like a sow but sometimes I have a hard time telling a big sow from a boar if I can’t get a height reference. I haven’t seen one that I’d call a sow that was as tall as a barrel.
In that picture I see a light front end compared to the back making it kind of pear shaped and the head isn’t very blocky but I’ve seen tall, long legged boars that were quite a bit heavier in the back. Some bears just look to me like a female and I can’t necessarily pin it to one specific characteristic. Is that what you’re looking at or am I missing something?
I might be wrong but it’s short squatty, fat and that smaller dainty face not as stout built in the front end
It just looks like a sow
When I see a bear that’s heavy like that but not big in stature most the time it’s a sow
A young boar will be taller and more bulky boned before it gets heavy
Like that top bear, it’s not huge but you can see he’s more defined and bigger framed

·
Registered
22,382 Posts
Discussion Starter · #51 ·
I have two barrels out only - mostly donuts, some dog food mixed

I might out another out - only 1 has a camtracker on it

I got fouled a bit with food supply - so I'm baiting late, only running 2 (maybe 3) .... and we'll see what happens

Won't restock until next Friday - I suspect both barrels will be very empty by then

·
Super Moderator
8,190 Posts
Probably the reason. It's bad dry here and there is water off the direction it's headed in this shot.

·
Registered
5,373 Posts
Probably the reason. It's bad dry here and there is water off the direction it's headed in this shot.
It’s bad dry everywhere across the state right now.
If you have water near by, it’ll be like hunting a water hole in New Mexico.

·
Super Moderator
8,190 Posts
Anybody got a guess on sex and size of that bear? Not sure I wouldn't freeze up if that sucker walks in while I'm sitting in a blind there on the ground. 😳

·
2,089 Posts
Got some activity finally
A big chocolate boar, nice black boar, an old short stocky built boar and a collared bear that’s living there last two days as well as a few other smaller bears that are occasional visitors
Computer Personal computer Sky Output device Computer keyboard
Window Plant Rectangle Font Natural landscape
World Rectangle Branch Art Font
Rectangle Yellow Mesh Window Plant

41 - 60 of 278 Posts